Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
webs is ok but there's lots of good mons that give it trouble like swanna or whatever and removal is pretty common so it's not amazing by any stretch

Could a team be built around pawniard and still be a good team? I hope sticky web gets better for SM PU due to the flow of slow pokemon into the PU metagame.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Could a team be built around pawniard and still be a good team? I hope sticky web gets better for SM PU due to the flow of slow pokemon into the PU metagame.
Yes, a Sticky Web team with Pawniard would work quite well, as Pawniard works as a decently strong attacker and deters Defog. If you want help building the team, then the PU chat on Showdown can help you built it. There is no way to say what SM PU will even look like so early before the tier shifts by a wide margin though, so it's impossible to say.

Deleted User 350996

Banned deucer.
Pawniard + Misdreavus is a very effective core if you play a web team: Pawniard has Defiant while Missy can blocks Rapid Spin and they cover each other weaknesses. However, I can't pretend this core will be still effective in PU G7, depending on how the meta is changing.

Last edited:
I use a strategy that uses baton pass to pass extreme speed boosts onto other pokemon. Are there really good pokemon that need this?

I use a strategy that uses baton pass to pass extreme speed boosts onto other pokemon. Are there really good pokemon that need this?
Tbh, no pokemon that requires a speed boost from another pokemon can be considered good. There are pokemon that can work without the speed boost, but adding a speed boost can help them function better. Examples of these are Beheeyem and Marowak (wall breakers in generals) which can work without a speed boost, but it can help them threaten more offensive teams or just faster things that would threaten them otherwise. If you want an example of how a good speed pass team would work you can check out Teddeh 's speed pass team which got popular during LTPL. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ltpl-pu-squad-set-dump-thread.3592328/ it is the 3rd team on the 1st post. As you can see that the team takes advantage of slow wall breakers being Choice Banded Golem and Beheeyem.
Edit: run life orb sub-split or lefties sub-wisp Rotom-F as choice scarf was part of an elaborate counter team.

Last edited:
Sorry to bother everyone, but as I'm forever a oblivious noob, what do you all recommend for a good PU Tailwind setter? I was thinking either Swanna or Volbeat, though I'm not entirely sure. Ty!

Sorry to bother everyone, but as I'm forever a oblivious noob, what do you all recommend for a good PU Tailwind setter? I was thinking either Swanna or Volbeat, though I'm not entirely sure. Ty!
Volbeat is probably the best bet because it has prankster. Tailwind is not a good move in singles, however, because it only applies for 4 turns after setting, as one turn is used up after the tailwind user makes its move. If you need to switch out the tailwind user, than tailwind only has 3 turns, and it can then be stalled out. I'd suggest sticky web as a better playstyle (Smeargle + Pawniard + Ghost + 2 heavy attackers + rapid spinner).

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Volbeat isn't a great choice for a Tailwind user because it's not easy to fit on non-weather teams, and sucks up Tailwind turns because it can't get abuse it by itself or get out of the way quickly (slow U-turn is nullified in Tailwind). Tailwind isn't so good as an actual strategy to build and entire team around, like sticky webs are, but it can work as just another option for the team that can be taken advantage of. Pokemon that make good use of Tailwind include offensive threats that can hit hard and abuse Tailwind by themselves, and have a spare moveslot. Swanna, Altaria, Chatot, and Murkrow are probably the best Tailwind abusers for this reason. None of them really need Tailwind to function, but they can support your team with it if needed, and can be pretty cool if paired with something like Stoutland or Rampardos.

For gothita, I don't know if shadow tag or competitive works better, because I hatched a 5 iv modest shadow tag gothita and a 5 iv modest competitive gothita. I know that shadow tag is banned but is it just shadow tag or gothitelle that is banned

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
For gothita, I don't know if shadow tag or competitive works better, because I hatched a 5 iv modest shadow tag gothita and a 5 iv modest competitive gothita. I know that shadow tag is banned but is it just shadow tag or gothitelle that is banned
Shadow Tag is banned by Smogon rules, however, since it seems like you're playing in-game, it is legal in most formats and usually is the preferable ability on Gothitelle.

Shadow Tag is banned by Smogon rules, however, since it seems like you're playing in-game, it is legal in most formats and usually is the preferable ability on Gothitelle.
Actually, unless you go PvP, Competitive is better than Shadow Tag because the AI In game, very rarely switches, however, intimidate and webs users while also uncommon on the main history, are decently common on Battle Tower (especially on doubles) and that free boost will help much more than trapping something that will not switch anyway.

See ya!

Last edited:
Is swift swim a reasonable ability over battle armor for armaldo? I am trying to get cross poison and aqua jet as egg moves for it since I have a 5 iv female anorith that does not have any egg moves, a 5 iv male drapion with cross poison, and a 5 iv male shiny tirtouga with aqua jet. Are cross poison and aqua jet good moves for armaldo and is swift swim better than battle armor (it is not going to be in a rain team)

Is swift swim a reasonable ability over battle armor for armaldo? I am trying to get cross poison and aqua jet as egg moves for it since I have a 5 iv female anorith that does not have any egg moves, a 5 iv male drapion with cross poison, and a 5 iv male shiny tirtouga with aqua jet. Are cross poison and aqua jet good moves for armaldo and is swift swim better than battle armor (it is not going to be in a rain team)
And the 5 iv anorith has battle armor

Ive been wanting to make a psychic terrain team for a while now for gen7 pu. but I dont know many pokemon who can abuse it/ be good on this team. Any suggestions ??

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ive been wanting to make a psychic terrain team for a while now for gen7 pu. but I dont know many pokemon who can abuse it/ be good on this team. Any suggestions ??
Im not sure how effective a terrain team will be in PU, since we do not have any natural setters nor do they provide any huge potential buffs to an entire team and there is no way to increase the length. That being said though, looking at the list of potential setters, the main users appear to be Beheeyem and Musharna. Beheeyem can set it up itself and hit almost as hard as Tapu Lele, so it is probably your best bet for a selfsetter wallbreaker. Musharna also has decent enough power and bulk to not get KOed attempting to set up, so that is another option to consider if not the most viable.

Overall though, I think both Beheeyem and Musharna would be better off using Calm Mind over Psychic Terrain. Same power and isnt restricted to STAB, but if you really want this team then I personally would go with those 2 as a starting point then add glue like Hariyama or even Gallade to compliment those setters offensively and defensively. You could also use fast-but-frail mons like Zebstrika to bank on the priority block as well.

Last edited:
Im not sure how effective a terrain team will be in PU, since we do not have any natural setters nor do they provide any huge potential buffs to an entire team and there is no way to increase the length. That being said though, looking at the list of potential setters, the main users appear to be Beheeyem and Musharna. Beheeyem can set it up itself and hit almost as hard as Tapu Lele, so it is probably your best bet for a selfsetter wallbreaker. Musharna also has decent enough power and bulk to not get KOed attempting to set up, so that is another option to consider if not the most viable.

Overall though, I think both Beheeyem and Musharna would be better off using Calm Mind over Psychic Terrain. Same power and isnt restricted to STAB, but if you really want this team then I personally would go with those 2 as a starting point then add glue like Hariyama or even Gallade to compliment those setters offensively and defensively. You could also use fast-but-frail mons like Ninjask to bank on the priority block as well.
Just a minor nitpick my friend! The Item "Terrain Extender" can be used to extend three more turns the duration of any terrain, so there's that...

About Beeheyem and Mushy I totally agree with you that using normal setup is just absolutely better. The only hypotetical case that I could see the terrain useful for those two is just to avoid Sucker Punch inside Trick Room which is absurdly situational.

In particular, I wouldn't use the terrains unless I really need the boosted power on something that can't setup it (something like Electivire or Amphy with Electric Terrain) and or to abuse their secondary effects (Ninjask Avoiding priority, Oricorio Pom Pom avoiding getting slept by Lilligant, Stallish mons avoiding status, etc) but even those really feel like very situational and niche... so, avoid them until we get a natural setter, maybe around gen 14 or 15... xD

See ya!

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a minor nitpick my friend! The Item "Terrain Extender" can be used to extend three more turns the duration of any terrain, so there's that...

About Beeheyem and Mushy I totally agree with you that using normal setup is just absolutely better. The only hypotetical case that I could see the terrain useful for those two is just to avoid Sucker Punch inside Trick Room which is absurdly situational.

In particular, I wouldn't use the terrains unless I really need the boosted power on something that can't setup it (something like Electivire or Amphy with Electric Terrain) and or to abuse their secondary effects (Ninjask Avoiding priority, Oricorio Pom Pom avoiding getting slept by Lilligant, Stallish mons avoiding status, etc) but even those really feel like very situational and niche... so, avoid them until we get a natural setter, maybe around gen 14 or 15... xD

See ya!
Minor nitpick towards you as well, neither Ninjast nor Oricorio can abuse terrain effects due to their flying typings

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Will misdreavus still be viable in this new gen?
It's too early in the meta to say definitively, but I doubt Misdreavus will be anywhere as good as it was in ORAS PU. It faces more competition from ghost-types like Silvally-Ghost, Oricorio-Sensu, and Haunter who are flashier and harder hitting, although none of them learn Nasty Plot. There are many more Dark-types in the metagame, such as Skuntank, Shiftry, and Liepard who make it easier to deal with, and in general the meta has experienced a power creep and become more bulky and more powerful. This hurts Misdreavus as it's both relatively weak and only moderately bulky.

Most (over)centralizing pokemon to watch out for and prepare for?
I keep hearing Sableye and Gallade. Is this true?
Also, how to do well with trick room?

Most (over)centralizing pokemon to watch out for and prepare for?
I keep hearing Sableye and Gallade. Is this true?
Also, how to do well with trick room?
i mean the meta has only been out for 24 hours, so its tough to judge what are the most centralizing pokemon; i'd say give it at most a week and you'll start to see the broken stuff. sableye and gallade are just some of the better pokemon atm.

idk if you want the basics, but with TR you typically run a SR + TR lead such as Carbink or Mesprit and multiple strong slow abusers such as Alolan Exeggutor, Crabominable, Ursaring, Camerupt, Guzzlord, Beheeyem. alolan eggy or bem are probably staples due to the fact that it has TR of its own as an abuser which also helps out the team. other defensive setters like Gourgeist or Audino also work here, the former of which has access to explosion and the latter of which has access to healing wish. basically TR is just another form of HO so you'll want to set up and get fast to give your sweepers/abusers ample time to set up and KO things before it wears off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)