Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Monotype Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Why is Armaldo S ranked and why is Gardevoir all the way up at A with its mega?
Armaldo is a reliable Rapid Spinner on Bug-Type teams which is necessary
Mega Gardevoir on Fairy is outclassed by Mega Diancie because of speed and coverage moves. While a similar role of a Poison type check can be filled by regular Choice Scarfed Gardevoir.
The Ranks are organized by types and different Pokemon are better on certain types.

Hey, im just getting a bit into monotype and made some succes with an ice team (currently close to 1500) and read that there was such a thing as monthly championships where you get points for scoring high in the showdown room tournaments. Is that still a thing? I only found threads about them from last march.

And if there is, is there a seperate monthly championship for lower monotype tours?

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, im just getting a bit into monotype and made some succes with an ice team (currently close to 1500) and read that there was such a thing as monthly championships where you get points for scoring high in the showdown room tournaments. Is that still a thing? I only found threads about them from last march.

And if there is, is there a seperate monthly championship for lower monotype tours?
The Monotype Monthly Championship got replaced with Monotype BLT which also has a score board but works a bit differently. Other than standard Monotype, other Monotype metagames such as UU Monotype, Ubers Monotype, LTM (Lower-Tier Monotype) etc. are played to earn points. You can find the standings here and read more about Monotype BLT here.

Greetings. I haven't played Showdown (or any Pokémon, for that matter) since March so I'm catching up. I want to get back into monotype but I'm feeling kinda lost. How's the current metagame? Is Volcanion relevant?

Also, how's Mega-Sableye? I checked the banlist and Sablenite is in there but I see some M-Sableye in the Monotype sample teams. Or maybe it's another type-specific ban?

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Greetings. I haven't played Showdown (or any Pokémon, for that matter) since March so I'm catching up. I want to get back into monotype but I'm feeling kinda lost. How's the current metagame? Is Volcanion relevant?

Also, how's Mega-Sableye? I checked the banlist and Sablenite is in there but I see some M-Sableye in the Monotype sample teams. Or maybe it's another type-specific ban?
1) Mega Sableye is banned those sample teams are outdated
2) Volcanion is used alot on Fire teams and sometimes on Water teams.
3) Mega Medicham has rosen alot in popularity on Psychic Monotypes after Mega Sableye was banned. Minor changes have happened through the metagame such as Babiri Berry Togekiss on Fairies and Colbur berry Slowbro on Psychic etc. Also the council has released pokemon back into the metagame for gen 7 back into monotype. More about that can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...titive-discussion.3579729/page-2#post-7024436

Good Luck getting back into the Monotype metagame Befficient!!

Last edited:
1) Mega Sableye is banned those sample teams are outdated
2) Volcanion is used alot on Fire teams and sometes on Water teams.
3) Mega Medicham has rosen alot in popularoty on Psychic Monotypes after Mega Sableye was banned. Small changes have happemed through the metagane such as Babiri Berry Togekiss on Fairies and Colbur berry Slowbro on Psychic. Also the council has released pokemon back into the metagame for gen 7 back into monotype. More about that can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...titive-discussion.3579729/page-2#post-7024436

Good Luck getting back into the Monotype metagame Befficient!!
Gotcha.
Thanks.

How does statrounding work in pokemon? For example my scarfed pokemon had a base stat of 101, scarf does 1.5 so it has 151.5 speed then. Will this be rounded up to 152 or down to 151?

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The item doesn't boost the base stat, your pokemon's fully invested speed at base 101 will be 331 without choice scarf, and multiplied by 1.5 and rounded down would equal 496 speed.

futuron

Banned deucer.
hi, i'm pretty new to this whole thing and decided to pick up stall dark. was wondering how i can beat some mons like mega-diancie, sd or toxic gliscor, nasty plot thundurus (depends on the set & what it sets up on), landorus (focus blast + earth power), specs volc, tg mana, bdrum azu / band azu, serp, mega garde in general, and other threatening sweepers/setup that i can't tank. gliscor is really the most annoying one because if can freely switch in on my whole team and start boosting on everything barring mandibuzz which it can just toxic + taunt. the only solution i've found is by pp stalling it's attack(s) with sableye which is extremely unreliable because if theyre flying they could easily go to something like mega pidg which forces the switch and then go right back to glisc w/ uturn. i usually have no problem beating pretty much every special wallbreaker / sweeper with av ttar (beats mega dian lando and mons without setup 1v1) excluding really threatening wallbreakers like mega garde or any threatening water typel. jw if this playstyle has too many weaknesses to be effective or if im just doing something wrong.

Last edited:
So I'm new on Smogon, and I decided to take a shot at constructing a Dark-type team. (Mostly just for fun, but who knows what'll happen if this goes well...) I have a few preliminary ideas, but I was hoping I could find some advice on how to fix it up. Here's what I have so far, constructed in Pokemon Showdown:

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Impish Nature
- Night Slash
- Bounce
- Iron Tail
- Psycho Cut

Drapion @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Sand Attack
- Toxic Spikes
- Aqua Tail

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Bulldoze
- Assurance
- Fire Fang
- Toxic

I was thinking that Absol and Krookodile would be sweepers, with Absol being focused on speed while Krookodile backs up its power with bulk. Meanwhile, I envision Drapion being a wall or tank.

My main issue is with EVs and IVs; I'm not sure how to allocate them. (Especially with Absol; I want to try and boost defenses while keeping Attack and Speed high.) If anyone has some advice on any Pokemon I could add and/or changes I could make to the Pokemon I do have, I would appreciate it!

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
So I'm new on Smogon, and I decided to take a shot at constructing a Dark-type team. (Mostly just for fun, but who knows what'll happen if this goes well...) I have a few preliminary ideas, but I was hoping I could find some advice on how to fix it up. Here's what I have so far, constructed in Pokemon Showdown:

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Impish Nature
- Night Slash
- Bounce
- Iron Tail
- Psycho Cut

Drapion @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Sand Attack
- Toxic Spikes
- Aqua Tail

Adamant Nature
- Bulldoze
- Assurance
- Fire Fang
- Toxic

I was thinking that Absol and Krookodile would be sweepers, with Absol being focused on speed while Krookodile backs up its power with bulk. Meanwhile, I envision Drapion being a wall or tank.

My main issue is with EVs and IVs; I'm not sure how to allocate them. (Especially with Absol; I want to try and boost defenses while keeping Attack and Speed high.) If anyone has some advice on any Pokemon I could add and/or changes I could make to the Pokemon I do have, I would appreciate it!
Hey ParadoxMaste a great place where you can ask for help with teambuilding and bouncing back ideas are the Monotype room, amd for complete teams the RMT Room and or the RMT Forums. Those forums are meant for team rating this is more dedicated to answering questions if someone is confused rules of the meta, about a mechanic, or asking where stuff maybe located on the monotype forums.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Impish Nature
- Night Slash
- Bounce
- Iron Tail
- Psycho Cut

Drapion @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Sand Attack
- Toxic Spikes
- Aqua Tail

Adamant Nature
- Bulldoze
- Assurance
- Fire Fang
- Toxic

The Excadrill had some good tips, but the RMT Forum is mostly for teams that have already been extensively tested so it's better to start in the monotype chat room. Otherwise there is a project thread here on the forums where users like you can post a few pokemon you want to use in a team and a few experienced teambuilders will make the rest of the team for you. It's intended to get new monotype players familiar with good teambuilding practices, so I'd really recommend it. Check it out here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-teambuilding-workshop-v2-open.3575643/

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi, i'm pretty new to this whole thing and decided to pick up stall dark. was wondering how i can beat some mons like mega-diancie, sd or toxic gliscor, nasty plot thundurus (depends on the set & what it sets up on), landorus (focus blast + earth power), specs volc, tg mana, bdrum azu / band azu, serp, mega garde in general, and other threatening sweepers/setup that i can't tank. gliscor is really the most annoying one because if can freely switch in on my whole team and start boosting on everything barring mandibuzz which it can just toxic + taunt. the only solution i've found is by pp stalling it's attack(s) with sableye which is extremely unreliable because if theyre flying they could easily go to something like mega pidg which forces the switch and then go right back to glisc w/ uturn. i usually have no problem beating pretty much every special wallbreaker / sweeper with av ttar (beats mega dian lando and mons without setup 1v1) excluding really threatening wallbreakers like mega garde or any threatening water typel. jw if this playstyle has too many weaknesses to be effective or if im just doing something wrong.
Sorry this message was overlooked! In general, stalling in Monotype is very challenging. A key premise of Stall is that all your teammates cover each other's weaknesses. The key premise of Monotype is your entire team shares a type (aka shares a weakness).

If you're certain you want to build Stall Dark, then you need to develop some specific counters to the major threats you mentioned. You'll be facing at least one of those in ~50% of your matches. I'm not sure it is possible in gen6 tbh, but you can possibly cover a couple of them.

If you just want to play Stall in Monotype, there are a couple successful Stall teams. Thimo's Water team on the Monotype Hub is the best example. Eien recently rmt'd a Stall Steel team. The are some other bulkier builds you can try to alter in the Monotype team archive, especially some of the Flying teams.

As always, you can stop by the Monotype room on PS! and ask for some help and bounce ideas off the people in the room!

I heard the policy on typechanging mega pokemon is shifted. I dont really get how though. All typechanging pokemon banned at all on types where the mega does not fit a type of the monotype team or what?

For instance, i get that mega gyarados now can not be used on a flying team, but can the regular one with a mega stone still be used on dark? And in the hypothethical case where a mega changes its type entirely is that mega than unable to use in any monotype team? That would be weird imo.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can use mega evolutions that share a type with their base form on monotype teams in gen7.

Examples:
Mega-Gyarados is only legal on Water Monotype. Regular Gyarados isn't Dark type, so it is illegal on Dark teams. Mega Gyarados isn't Flying type, so it is illegal on Flying teams.
Mega Aggron is only legal on Steel Monotype. Mega Aggron isn't Rock type.
Mega Pinsir is only legal on Bug Monotype. Regular Pinsir isn't Flying type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)