Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Monotype Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks, but why isn't it being updated? it was pretty useful to figure out the type matchups it approximate what the top types are
I moved the monotype stats page off the weebly (it was a nightmare to maintain). I planned to port the matchup tables and trends sections over to the new site, but just haven't gotten around to it. You're not the first person to ask about it. I'll try to prioritize it.

Was j wondering if the best play for fairy v steel is clicking x or if something can break down steel alongside bdrum azu (i like running more defensive toge)

Was j wondering if the best play for fairy v steel is clicking x or if something can break down steel alongside bdrum azu (i like running more defensive toge)
Defensive togekiss works well, but with babiri Berry its great to catch the opponent off guard. The real struggle in the mu is beating scarf and priority and fast STAB steel attacks. So the trouble comes from obviously mega scizor, and scarf magnezone and excadrill, which are both immune to para so klefki can't cripple them. So catching either off guard with a babiri Berry and a fireblast is useful. Same with defensive clefable, unaware with flame helps against scizor as well. I wouldn't completely rule out granbull either, being the only fairy mon with a fire and ground move combo,along with intimidate.

Defensive togekiss works well, but with babiri Berry its great to catch the opponent off guard. The real struggle in the mu is beating scarf and priority and fast STAB steel attacks. So the trouble comes from obviously mega scizor, and scarf magnezone and excadrill, which are both immune to para so klefki can't cripple them. So catching either off guard with a babiri Berry and a fireblast is useful. Same with defensive clefable, unaware with flame helps against scizor as well. I wouldn't completely rule out granbull either, being the only fairy mon with a fire and ground move combo,along with intimidate.
thanks a lot, gonna have to figure out what combination of moves will work best on toge (j has so many utility moves lol) and if unaware will be better than cm magic guard clef. will probably try out granbull too, thanks again!

run bd azu with enough speed to outspeed skarm. set up screens with klef and it should sweep (if you dont know the scizor spread its best to waterfall since you survive bp anyway and +6 kos defensive spreads). the reason to creep skarm is its easier to survive rocky helm + bisharp sucker + scizor bp than a brave bird from skarm (+6 waterfall kos after you break sturdy)and toge with fire blast and aura sphere can help since it can hit everything se

if your ever in doubt just try to replicate what bushtush did once :^)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-362306883

run bd azu with enough speed to outspeed skarm. set up screens with klef and it should sweep (if you dont know the scizor spread its best to waterfall since you survive bp anyway and +6 kos defensive spreads). the reason to creep skarm is its easier to survive rocky helm + bisharp sucker + scizor bp than a brave bird from skarm (+6 waterfall kos after you break sturdy)and toge with fire blast and aura sphere can help since it can hit everything se

if your ever in doubt just try to replicate what bushtush did once :^)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-362306883
Just wanted to clarify, the reason you want to outspeed skarm is so u can kill it with a +6 knock off or superpower, since waterfall is not run on the BD set. Aqua and play rough dont 1hk0 with +6.
The BD set for Azu should be BD,aqua jet, knock off/superpower, play rough. Also if you are going for the BD Azu sweep, make sure that skarm is not full health, or you have rocks up, otherwise it can survive a hit with sturdy and then either finish the job with BB or whirlwind you out.

hi What is a defensive monotype Pokemon rarely seen in play? Thank you...!
lol not really a simple question, if ur looking forward to an answer I suggest adding some specifics. Such as adding a certain type of mon you want to see, a physically defensive mon or specially defensive one? Do you want it to be just a wall, or a cleric, so its team role. However, to answer somewhat thinking off the top of my head, some defensive pokemon that are rarely seen are florges, claydol, bastiodon, alomomola, blissey, meganium, mantine, donphan, deoxys defense, and so on. These pokemon in monotype are either outclassed by another, or they fit on one specific type of team. But ig since you are asking about them being rarely seen, that would be irrelevant, but just a heads up. If you want more info, i suggest looking at the VR for monotype, and looking through the pokemon that are ranked C or lower (usually means they are rarely used), and seeing if they fit your definition of a defensive pokemon.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-viability-rankings-v2.3575778/

Are the monotype representatives working on categorising our " regular" Monotype tier as and into, the ORAS singles category?

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are the monotype representatives working on categorising our " regular" Monotype tier as and into, the ORAS singles category?
This isn't the thread to discuss something like that. Really, you're all representing us to the greater Smogon community. Any decisions on this ultimately lie with the leaders of the site.

Hey I'm pretty new to competitive Pokemon. I tried out all the tiers and actually ended up liking monotype the most. But now I have the problem that unlike Ou or Uu there aren't that many vids or resources in general. Each time I'm building a team I'd love to have some more information or actually see some teams and variation in action.

So my question is if somebody knows a channel or something from that you can learn :D

Have a nice day

RQ Itami The role compendium and viability rankings are available, there are good sample teams all of which you can find in this sub-forum. If you want to get into a certain type, you may want to ask around the monotype room on showdown or maybe even the competitive tutoring room. The introduction to monotype series on the smogon youtube channel is also quite helpful, the only differences really being ignoring the threat of Mega Sableye and the fact that Gardevoir is now Psychi's 2nd best mega due to the ban of Sableye.

Hope this helps :]

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey RQ Itami, I'll probably be repeating what others said but we have variety of resources for you to use at your own advantage, I'll link them to make it easier for you.

You can use the Viability Rankings to check which Pokemon is better on any type you decide to run, making it easier for you to build a team without being trapped by beginner's knowledge and asking yourself "Is this viable?"

The Monotype Smogon Hub has also a lot of information like a Role Compendium for each type, plus there's some samples for you to get started.

Other projects such as "What's his last?" and "Monotype Matchmaking" can also help you in discovering more cores in Monotype, additionally there's a "Good Cores" thread.

We do have a few Videos on the Smogon main channel such as "Introduction to Monotype" (which is a little bit outdated since Mega Sableye got banned but still has some solid information.), "Introduction to Psychic types", and "Introduction to Fighting types".

Furthermore, if you want help in anything you can come over to the Monotype room, we don't bite and are pretty friendly and helpful. If you to know more about stuff leave me a message or PM me on PS! Welcome to Monotype :]

Thanks everybody started getting into it and actually doing quite okay :D

Just got one stupid question left: Is there like a replay collection ? In mist tournament threads its said that they should post the replay together with the win/loss report but I never find the links ._.
I'd just like to see some of the good players playing and like which teams they ate using and stuff but yeah can't find anything D:

Just got one stupid question left: Is there like a replay collection ? In mist tournament threads its said that they should post the replay together with the win/loss report but I never find the links ._.
I'd just like to see some of the good players playing and like which teams they ate using and stuff but yeah can't find anything D:
As well as what miyoka said, you can always search a name here http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/

Hey there. I have been setting up an all water team based on pokemon that give me nostalgia and pokemon I just like overall. While I don't plan on playing competitively, I do plan on battling occasionally and I wanted to atleast have a competitive players advice before choosing the final team member. So far the team goes:

Swampert (Adamant/Torrent) Moveset: Waterfall, Earthquake, Power Up Punch, Rain Dance

Gyarados (Jolly/Intimidate) Moveset: Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Dragon Dance

Milotic (Modest/Marvel Scale) Moveset: Surf, Ice Beam, Toxic, Recover

Tentacruel (Timid/Liquid Ooze) Moveset: Toxic Spikes, Slude Bomb, Ice Beam, Scald

Kingdra (Modest/Swift Swim) Moveset: Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, Scald

The last slot is a toss up between Jellicent or Azumarill. Both movesets would look like:

Jellicent (Bold/Water Absorb) Moveset: Will-o-Wisp, Hex, Recover, Scald

Azumarill (Modest/Huge Power) Moveset: Waterfall, Play Rough, Aqua Jet, Superpower

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

DoW

formally Death on Wings

We used to have a proper replay collection but it was difficult getting good replays and not getting bad ones, not to mention keeping it up to date when things were banned etc.
If anyone wants to set one up though that'd probably be a cool thing to do, although I can't speak for scp and deg as to whether it'd be on smogon.

Hey there. I have been setting up an all water team based on pokemon that give me nostalgia and pokemon I just like overall. While I don't plan on playing competitively, I do plan on battling occasionally and I wanted to atleast have a competitive players advice before choosing the final team member. So far the team goes:

Swampert (Adamant/Torrent) Moveset: Waterfall, Earthquake, Power Up Punch, Rain Dance

Gyarados (Jolly/Intimidate) Moveset: Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Dragon Dance

Milotic (Modest/Marvel Scale) Moveset: Surf, Ice Beam, Toxic, Recover

Tentacruel (Timid/Liquid Ooze) Moveset: Toxic Spikes, Slude Bomb, Ice Beam, Scald

Kingdra (Modest/Swift Swim) Moveset: Hydro Pump, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, Scald

The last slot is a toss up between Jellicent or Azumarill. Both movesets would look like:

Jellicent (Bold/Water Absorb) Moveset: Will-o-Wisp, Hex, Recover, Scald

Azumarill (Modest/Huge Power) Moveset: Waterfall, Play Rough, Aqua Jet, Superpower

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
Hi, welcome to Smogon! This isn't the best way to get your team rated as we do not know your thought process behind why you chose the Pokemon in your team, nor do we know about the threats which your team fails to handle. However, you can make a thread in the Rate My Team forum, with the proper format. Team Showcase has some very well done RMTs which you should check out to get an idea of how an RMT looks like.

I can see a few major flaws with your team. Since you're planning on using a Swift Swim team (judging from the Swampert and Kingdra), I highly recommend Politoed over Milotic. Milotic is very passive and useless in most matchups, while Politoed has the ability to summon rain whenever it joins the battle. Besides that, you can run Stealth Rock over Rain Dance on Swampert as Politoed does the job anyway and chip damage throughout the battle is usually very helpful. Finally, for the last member, I would definitely recommend Azumarill, however, Modest isn't a good nature for Azumarill at all as it lowers its Attack stat and increases its Special Attack, which is redundant. I would suggest running Adamant nature instead, to let it hit as strong as it can.

Hope I helped and good luck with the team!

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to Smogon! This isn't the best way to get your team rated as we do not know your thought process behind why you chose the Pokemon in your team, nor do we know about the threats which your team fails to handle. However, you can make a thread in the Rate My Team forum, with the proper format. Team Showcase has some very well done RMTs which you should check out to get an idea of how an RMT looks like.

I can see a few major flaws with your team. Since you're planning on using a Swift Swim team (judging from the Swampert and Kingdra), I highly recommend Politoed over Milotic. Milotic is very passive and useless in most matchups, while Politoed has the ability to summon rain whenever it joins the battle. Besides that, you can run Stealth Rock over Rain Dance on Swampert as Politoed does the job anyway and chip damage throughout the battle is usually very helpful. Finally, for the last member, I would definitely recommend Azumarill, however, Modest isn't a good ability for Azumarill at all as it lowers its Attack stat and increases its Special Attack, which is redundant. I would suggest running Adamant nature instead, to let it hit as strong as it can.

Hope I helped and good luck with the team!
Thank you so much! You helped immensely! I will check out the RMT forums and search around the site more. Thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)