Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Monotype Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it in this thread instead. Any new threads should be for discussion/events and need to be approved!

When posting in this thread, please follow these guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.

3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?

Check out the Smogon Strategy Dex. It has lots of great information on competitive Pokemon battling!

What is banned from Monotype?
The Monotype banlist is on the Smogon Strategy Dex too!

How does Monotype handle Mega-Evolutions that change typing?
Why can't I use Mega-Gyarados on my Dark team?

When using a mega-evolution that changes its typing, you must base its spot on your team on the regular form's typing.
This means you can use Mega-Gyarados on a Mono-Flying team, but you may not use it on a Mono-Dark team (because regular Gyarados is Water/Flying). Similarly, Mega-Aggron can be used on either Mono-Steel or Mono-Rock teams, despite losing its Rock typing upon mega evolving.

Last edited:
are you going to make a thread for monotype analysis or something (or even bring the whole thing here) so that analysis start being made again?

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
are you going to make a thread for monotype analysis or something (or even bring the whole thing here) so that analysis start being made again?
Not sure yet; this is something that DEG and I need to talk with the OM leaders on before we say anything. Needless to say, we have ideas on how that could work and we definitely would like to have some form of organized "analyses" that are tailored to the Monotype metagame.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ya I believe Monotype analyses should be added on site even though the OM Leaders dont want them to. Mono has been growing to be a respectable metagame in its own right, and the metagame is diverse and distinct from the other meats that have analyses (AAA, STABmons, AG, etc...) to deserveits own recognition

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So I want to try out Monotype because it seems like a really fun tier. What's a good type to start out with? I've been thinking that Normal or Fighting would be cool.

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I want to try out Monotype because it seems like a really fun tier. What's a good type to start out with? I've been thinking that Normal or Fighting would be cool.
Hey, Monotype is really a fun tier and you should try it. As a starter I'd suggest using Fighting, Psychic or Flying as they are easy types to use. You can check the Monotype website for more information, like the stats page. Or could try to check our sample teams so you can see how the metagame looks. And you could get help from the Monotype room, so come and visit us!

So I'm new to Smogon, been lurking for a long time though. Monotype is my preferred tier though and I just wanted to know what's a good set on Lucario on Steel? Bout time I switched it up as I've never used steel and I'm stuck on Luke's set.

scpinion

Welcome to Smogon! Lucario is pretty rare on Steel teams these days, but you can try out a Nasty Plot set:

Lucario @ Life Orb (or Focus Sash)
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere / Psychic

Welcome to Smogon! Lucario is pretty rare on Steel teams these days, but you can try out a Nasty Plot set:

Lucario @ Life Orb (or Focus Sash)
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere / Psychic
Works beautifully! Thank you so much!

So I have been playing Monotype for a while now, and I have been enjoying it. I have only been using several Bulky Offensive Normal teams, and now that has became stale I am looking for a new type to battle with. My question is what other type/s can be a good Bulky Offense team?

scpinion

So I have been playing Monotype for a while now, and I have been enjoying it. I have only been using several Bulky Offensive Normal teams, and now that has became stale I am looking for a new type to battle with. My question is what other type/s can be a good Bulky Offense team?
Water, Psychic, or Flying are your best bet b/c of the wide pool of viable Pokemon on each type. If you're wanting to stay further down the usage table, then you could try out Poison.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I know you've gotten a few answers already but I really think Steel is one of the better bulky offense types. Things like Jirachi, Heatran, Magnezone, and Empoleon are all perfect for that playstyle. Steel is kind of falling in usage lately if I remember correctly, but it's still a fun and viable option. Otherwise I would agree with what scpinion said.

Water, Psychic, or Flying are your best bet b/c of the wide pool of viable Pokemon on each type. If you're wanting to stay further down the usage table, then you could try out Poison.
I know you've gotten a few answers already but I really think Steel is one of the better bulky offense types. Things like Jirachi, Heatran, Magnezone, and Empoleon are all perfect for that playstyle. Steel is kind of falling in usage lately if I remember correctly, but it's still a fun and viable option. Otherwise I would agree with what scpinion said.
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Hi I'm new to Smogon, and i have been lurking for about a while now. I recently started watching one of friends play the Monotype tier, and it seemed like a lot fun. I tend to stick with Normal Mono, due the amount of my favorites are in that typing. I began to wonder why Mega-Audino and Mega-Pidgeot were on a lot of Mono Normal teams. Somy question is Mega-Lopunny the only viable mega for a Mono normal team, or can Mega-Audino and/or Mega-Pidegot be viable also?

scpinion

Hi I'm new to Smogon, and i have been lurking for about a while now. I recently started watching one of friends play the Monotype tier, and it seemed like a lot fun. I tend to stick with Normal Mono, due the amount of my favorites are in that typing. I began to wonder why Mega-Audino and Mega-Pidgeot were on a lot of Mono Normal teams. Somy question is Mega-Lopunny the only viable mega for a Mono normal team, or can Mega-Audino and/or Mega-Pidegot be viable also?
All three megas are definitely viable on Mono Normal! Mega Lopunny is the most popular though.

If you're wanting to play with Mega-Audino, your best bet is to run a bulkier build that focuses on stalling out your opponent.

Personally, I prefer Mega-Pidgeot because it really helps in the matchup versus Fighting and serves as a nice offensive complement to Diggersby.

Check out the sample teams thread or the good cores thread for some ideas on how to team build for Normal. You can also ask for some help in the monotype room on pokemon showdown.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Mega Lopunny is usually the best option, but Mega Pidgeot is certainly viable. No-miss Hurricane hits hard, and Heat Wave helps against Steel. My recommendation is if you go with Lopunny, make sure you have Meloetta on the team too, but if you go with Pidgeot, make sure you have Diggersby. That way you have a reliable physical and special attacker in both scenarios.

Mega Audino is generally considered inferior to the other two normal megas, but it's definitely usable. If you want a pure stall-based normal team, Audino is the best pick.

Joined Monotype a couple of weeks ago and have really been enjoying myself. Quite a thing you guys got going. It's unfortunate (but understandable, and this is in no way facetious) that complex ban rulings necessary to achieve acceptance as an official meta puts so much strain on your suspect testing and efforts toward balance. I feel for ya, and really feel for die-hard Ghost players in the near future.

I got two simple questions.

1. What... what should I do with Scrafty? This guy seems really helpful for Mono Fighting just on the virtue of being a switch-in to everything psychic likes bar Garde, as well as offering a generally useful damage sponge and free distribution of Knock Offs, but I feel like even after looking at set data that this guy is just all over the place in terms of how he's used, and the set I'm using, while it's been effective, just feels incredibly jank:

I Just Work Here (Scrafty) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Super Fang
- Dragon Tail

It phases anything that sets up while taking two hits pretty easily, and threatens out a large variety of special threats, like Gengar, Latis, Slowbro, Rachi, etc. while also stopping and phasing out common set-up sweepers like M-Gara and M-Scizor rather effortlessly. While this calc isn't a useful one, it boggles my mind that this thing is so bulky it takes a x4 resisted Moonblast from Clef and keeps on ticking guaranteed.

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 232-280 (69.4 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2. Mono Ground seems to sorta suffer with speed. They've got nothing that breaks the base 110 barrier except for Dugtrio (ew) and Sand Rush Excadrill is only an answer to so much. I originally was running Megachomp/Seismitoad/Gliscor/Excadrill/Hippowdon/Landorus-I, but took Scarf Nidoking over Garchomp after a while. In exchange for losing lure Fire Blast and Sand Force Iron Head and Earthquake, I instead have Sheer Force Flamethrower, Sludge Wave, and Earth Power, with Ice Beam as a welcome addition. However, I'd really rather have Mamoswine on the team. Is there a way I could maybe shuffle scarf duty somewhere else without losing a Ferro lure (if not flamethrower, I'm forced to hit a Focus Blast, yuck) so I can get Mamoswine in on his spot?

scpinion

Joined Monotype a couple of weeks ago and have really been enjoying myself. Quite a thing you guys got going. It's unfortunate (but understandable, and this is in no way facetious) that complex ban rulings necessary to achieve acceptance as an official meta puts so much strain on your suspect testing and efforts toward balance. I feel for ya, and really feel for die-hard Ghost players in the near future.

1. What... what should I do with Scrafty? This guy seems really helpful for Mono Fighting just on the virtue of being a switch-in to everything psychic likes bar Garde, as well as offering a generally useful damage sponge and free distribution of Knock Offs, but I feel like even after looking at set data that this guy is just all over the place in terms of how he's used, and the set I'm using, while it's been effective, just feels incredibly jank:

Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Super Fang
- Dragon Tail

It phases anything that sets up while taking two hits pretty easily, and threatens out a large variety of special threats, like Gengar, Latis, Slowbro, Rachi, etc. while also stopping and phasing out common set-up sweepers like M-Gara and M-Scizor rather effortlessly. While this calc isn't a useful one, it boggles my mind that this thing is so bulky it takes a x4 resisted Moonblast from Clef and keeps on ticking guaranteed.

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 232-280 (69.4 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2. Mono Ground seems to sorta suffer with speed. They've got nothing that breaks the base 110 barrier except for Dugtrio (ew) and Sand Rush Excadrill is only an answer to so much. I originally was running Megachomp/Seismitoad/Gliscor/Excadrill/Hippowdon/Landorus-I, but took Scarf Nidoking over Garchomp after a while. In exchange for losing lure Fire Blast and Sand Force Iron Head and Earthquake, I instead have Sheer Force Flamethrower, Sludge Wave, and Earth Power, with Ice Beam as a welcome addition. However, I'd really rather have Mamoswine on the team. Is there a way I could maybe shuffle scarf duty somewhere else without losing a Ferro lure (if not flamethrower, I'm forced to hit a Focus Blast, yuck) so I can get Mamoswine in on his spot?
Welcome to Smogon/Monotype! The type ban stuff has certainly been interesting here recently... :/

1. The problem with Scrafty on Fighting isn't the mon itself. It has the defensive qualities one would typically look for on a mono team—good secondary typing, good defensive stats, among other things. However, Fighting is typically played offensively and for good reason: the type lacks reliable defensive switchins to most threats. Thus, Scrafty can suck momentum (and feel out of place) when used defensively. To remedy this, I'd try one of two things:

Switch to a more offensive Scrafty set. Something like (1/2 damage from SE Fighting attack) Berry with Dragon Dance could be used to punish Psychic types since many of them carry Fighting coverage to break past Dark 'mons. You switch in on the psychic move, eat the berry on their Fighting coverage as you dragon dance, then snag a KO (or two).

Use Scarf Heracross. This is the "standard" check to Psychic teams for Fighting. Nothing switches in to Heracross and it takes their scarfer (typically Vicitini) to out-speed. With good play in the early game, you just trade KO's to win.

2. If you're sure you want a scarfer, then I'd recommend Mamoswine over Nidoking. The speed tier is slightly lower, but you get STAB Ice attacks, the option for priority, and better coverage options imo (Superpower, Knock Off, Stone Edge). I hate promoting generic teams in something like this, but Gliscor is the 'mon to replace, not m-chomp. The general premise of that build is for m-chomp+lando to soften a team so Excadrill can sweep. Without m-chomp to soften the team up, Excadrill has a much harder time doing its job.

If you want some more help with team building, come hang out with us in the mono room on PS! There are many knowledgable players that are always willing to help.

Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Super Fang
- Dragon Tail

To expand on the issues with Scrafty, it does very little for Fighting teams beyond being a mild nuisance in the Psychic matchup. Against all of Fighting's poor matchups (Flying, Dragon, Fairy, etc.) other than Psychic, Scrafty lacks the power and speed needed to make it a more reliable sweeper than other options. For example, Hawlucha is faster without Unburden than Scrafty is with 1 Dragon Dance. Further, Hawlucha finds many more opportunities to setup and can be even more devastating when it does.

And while your set is very defensive and can be somewhat useful against the right Pokemon, it's also easily countered. Running Intimidate means Mega-Sableye can WoW and permanently cripple it. All the walls that Fighting already has trouble with, i.e. Skarmory, Mandibuzz, and Slowbro (Not sure how Scrafty threatens this, when without any attack investment the Knock Off does essentially nothing and Slowbro threatens with a burn) easily come in on Scrafty.

I don't want to completely discourage the use of a Pokemon or set, so if you are sure Scrafty is a Pokemon you don't want to replace, I'd recommend checking out the EV and Sets Compendium for the sets they list there. I'd rather link the compendium to you so you can refer to it at a future time. Feel free to message me if you want a more in depth talk about Fighting, I always love a good conversation!

I have been playing Monotype for a while now and have been enjoying it, but here lately it has became stale to me. I say that because almost every team I face is the exact same as the last. So I was wondering what you guys do to keep Monotype fresh and exciting?

I have been playing Monotype for a while now and have been enjoying it, but here lately it has became stale to me. I say that because almost every team I face is the exact same as the last. So I was wondering what you guys do to keep Monotype fresh and exciting?
Personally, I try out types I don't use commonly enough. I've primarily laddered with Fighting on a serious level, but every so often I'll try out a cool looking core I see or even test drive a buddy's team. The Core Laddering Challenge found here has certainly been a big help to this, as it explores some underused cores on underused types. Just remember, in Monotype and in mons in general: the game's only as fun as you make it! Try some new stuff and you may feel better about the game as a whole!

Personally, I try out types I don't use commonly enough. I've primarily laddered with Fighting on a serious level, but every so often I'll try out a cool looking core I see or even test drive a buddy's team. The Core Laddering Challenge found here has certainly been a big help to this, as it explores some underused cores on underused types. Just remember, in Monotype and in mons in general: the game's only as fun as you make it! Try some new stuff and you may feel better about the game as a whole!
I have done some other types besides Normal, I have done Dragon, Steel, Water, Bug, Fighting, and Fairy. The core challenge does seem interesting. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)