(Archive) Small Subjective Changes Thread

Suggesting Aerial Ace in Optional Changes for Hitmontop. It's the only thing it has that lets it get past Venusaur, and it gets a Technician boost as well, which is nice.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't mind writing the Team Options, I'll get a thread in a day or two :P

Edit: Will do Rising_Dusk ^_^

You don't actually need a thread for it. If you can, just PM it to me; I'll GP it on the spot and put it on-site immediately. Thanks for bringing this up, Flora.

Rising Dusk linked me here (from here), so I'll just post a few things. I might have missed some; I'm human.

All Pokemon with equal defenses and an OU analysis that should have 4 EVs in SpD, but don't:
(thus, move the 4 leftover EVs to SpD):
Note: there are no Life Orb / Leftovers number unless mentioned otherwise:

Code:
Offensive Calm Mind Suicune
Life Orb Rotom-W
Metal Sound Heatran
Special Attacker and Choice Shaymin
Choice Scarf, Choice Scarf Lead, SubCM, Superachi! and Mixed Attacker Jirachi
Offensive Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, Choice Scarf and SubSeed Celebi
Substitute + Dragon Dance and Rain Dance Special Attacker Kingdra
Life Orb, Rapid Spin, Choice Scarf and Choice Specs Starmie
Special Choice Azelf
Swords Dance, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf and Choice Band Lucario
Choice Band Crobat

On the 4th gen Beautifly analysis, in the Choice Specs set, if HP Ground has better utility, shouldn't it be the primary option?

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/clamperl

In almost every UU segment, there are constant references to Clamperl as "her" or "she". Shouldn't they all say "it"? I thought that Pokemon with access to both genders (or none) were supposed to be referred to as "it".

Don't be fooled by Clamperl's baby face and charms; she's one of the most deadly Pokemon in UU. DeepSeaTooth doubles her Special Attack stat, giving her more immediate power than even the feared Deoxys-A. However, without her signature item, Clamperl is essentially useless. Clamperl also has awful Speed, making Trick Room a necessity to her success. If you can provide adequate support for her, Clamperl will be a dangerous addition to your team.

Although Clamperl is slow and frail, she hits like a truck. When Trick Room is in effect, Clamperl becomes one of the fastest Pokemon in the game. Additionally, Her Water-typing gives her a resistance to many common priority moves, such as Ice Shard, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet, making her the ideal Trick Room abuser. DeepSeaTooth doubles Clamperl's Special Attack to an insane 542, turning her into a dangerous threat when used correctly. Surf provides reliable STAB, Ice Beam hits Grass-types, and Hidden Power Grass is for rival Water-types, like Quagsire and Milotic. Finally, Brine deals more damage to weakened opponents, which is especially helpful against Chansey and Registeel, while Toxic cripples defensive Pokemon who are difficult to get past. Keep in mind that when using Clamperl, it is very important that you switch her in unscathed, as her defenses are very low.

The idea behind this set is to be as slow as possible, so a Quiet nature and 0 Speed EVs are used. The IVs give Clamperl the lowest possible Speed while keeping Hidden Power Grass at 70 Base Power. Hidden Power Electric is an option instead of Hidden Power Grass, as it allows Clamperl to use a lower Speed IV of 2, though this leaves Clamperl vulnerable to Quagsire, Lanturn, and Gastrodon.

Clamperl appreciates the presence of entry hazards, as they greatly aid her sweep. Spikes and Stealth Rock are both capable of damaging the opposing Pokemon upon switching in, eliminating Focus Sashes and crippling bulkier Pokemon such as Registeel. Cloyster and Cacturne are wonderful choices to set up Spikes, while Registeel and Donphan are good choices for Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes are also awesome, as they cripple bulky Water-types like Milotic and Slowking, though they also activate Guts, which is the main downside to using them. Omastar and Nidoqueen both do a good job at setting up Toxic Spikes due to their high defensive stats.

Trick Room support is vital to Clamperl's success, making Uxie, Claydol, and Solrock good partners. Claydol and Solrock are probably the best, as they can set up Stealth Rock and then Explode after setting up Trick Room, allowing Clamperl to switch in unharmed. Rain Dance support is also helpful, boosting the power of Clamperl's Surf. This can be set up by Pokemon such as Uxie, Slowbro, and Mesprit.

Clamperl has a very limited movepool, giving her few options to play with. DeepSeaScale can be used on a defensive set, along with Toxic and Protect to stall, though Pokemon such as Milotic do this much better thanks to their reliable recovery moves and much higher HP stats. Substitute may be used on a switch to ease prediction, though if Trick Room is in effect, this will waste a valuable turn.

Similarly, "he" is used to refer to a few Pokemon in the UU Counters section, as well as "her" for Clamperl:
Pokemon with high Special Defense are the best counters, taking reduced damage from Clamperl's attacks and having a way to stall or retaliate. Chansey, Clefable, and Registeel are good choices, with all of them having access to some form of recovery (in Registeel's case, using Rest to recover damage), while hitting Clamperl with Seismic Toss or Earthquake. Bulky Water-types also do a decent job, as they don't take much damage from Surf or Ice Beam, and usually carry a super effective Hidden Power that will KO Clamperl. Just be careful about switching into Hidden Power Grass, as most bulky Water-types can be 2HKOed by it. Ludicolo is a lesser-used counter, though he can switch into Surf and Hidden Power thanks to his handy resistances, and takes less damage from Ice Beam due to his high Special Defense. Provided you can switch in safely, priority moves will be deadly towards Clamperl. Arcanine can switch into Ice Beam or Hidden Power Grass and hit Clamperl with ExtremeSpeed, while Spiritomb does a fine job with Sucker Punch and his good defensive stats. Finally, Clamperl is useless without her signature item, so Knock Off, Trick, and Switcheroo users utterly destroy Clamperl.

One last thing. I believe that the first set should be renamed "LC RestTalk". As it is now, without reading the actual paragraphs (which some people may not do, if they're just looking for a quick set to use) it's difficult to tell what tier that set belongs to if you're not a Little Cup user, and especially if you're not experienced with EVs, as newer players might not be.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/clamperl

In almost every UU segment, there are constant references to Clamperl as "her" or "she". Shouldn't they all say "it"? I thought that Pokemon with access to both genders (or none) were supposed to be referred to as "it".

One last thing. I believe that the first set should be renamed "LC RestTalk". As it is now, without reading the actual paragraphs (which some people may not do, if they're just looking for a quick set to use) it's difficult to tell what tier that set belongs to if you're not a Little Cup user, and especially if you're not experienced with EVs, as newer players might not be.
Analyses that contain gender pronouns such as he or she are OK as long as it remains constant throughout the text, IIRC.

And the Restalk set has "unparalleled 23/19/24 defenses;" I think it's easy enough to tell that it's meant for LC, especially as the following set is specifically identified as a UU set.

Yes, Clamperl's primary tier is LC, with UU being specified in the setnames where applicable. It is the same way for Trapinch, Snover, and Hippopotas. cosmicexplorer is also correct about the gender-specific pronouns, they are not incorrect if they're consistent (and they are).
Venser said:
On the 4th gen Beautifly analysis, in the Choice Specs set, if HP Ground has better utility, shouldn't it be the primary option?
This analysis is in desperate need of an update anyway. I don't think that set's even worth listing. Also, considering that Energy Ball hits bulky Water-types harder, I think it's a more useful option on such an already bad set.

Analyses that contain gender pronouns such as he or she are OK as long as it remains constant throughout the text, IIRC.
Alright, that's understandable. However, Clamperl's page is constantly switching between "it" and "her" because it goes LC/UU/LC/UU/etc., and only the UU sections use "her"; the LC sections say "it". So shouldn't it be changed to one or the other for uniformity?

That's okay as well, since soon we'll be able to display the two analyses on different tabs. What matters is that they're internally consistent with the rest of that tier's analysis for the Pokemon.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think this was subject to discussion a while ago, and it was confirmed that 212 gave better overall defenses (it made Swampert take like 0.5% less damage from hits or something).

thats odd X-Act's applet says the opposite and have an extra stat point, maybe that was on the special side? heres CONCRETE proof that 216 in defense is better-

248/216/44 relaxed pert
physical defensive potential- (403)(297)= 119,691
special- (403)(227)= 91,481
total- 211,172

248/212/48
physical potential- (403)(295)= 118,885
special- (403)(228)= 91,884
Total-210,769

Therefore having 216 in def allows gives you .0019% better defensive potential (xD). I feel like a total geek for pointing that out but I always want to ev my pokemon perfectly, down to the last point.

This may be a total nitpick but I believe as Smogon, without a doubt the number 1 competitive pokemon website you should be teaching new players to hit jump points so they get the benefit of understanding how to train their pokemon as best they can.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
248/212/48 gave more overall defenses compared to the previous spread of 240/216/52. 248/216 is slightly more defensive but slightly less specially defensive than 240/52, so take it with a grain of salt.

Tbh 212 looks ugly and I've always thought it should have the jump point. No 252 HP because that makes it 3 layers of Spikes weak.

I don't really have a preference either way, since the difference is so negligible and Swampert honestly needs as much of both defenses as it can get. Jump points are cool, and overall I think the jump point helps his overall defenses slightly more than not. I'll talk to some QC members and get some feedback, then relay that information to you here.

Lotad has HP Rock in the Rain set, but it's pretty useless. It's supposed to hit Snover and Mantyke, but look at some stuff. This is with the given set's EVs and IVs (2 HP IVs and 36 SpD EVs):
Snover @ Life Orb (184 EVs, Neutral Nature) 120 Ice Special vs Lotad @ Oran Berry (0/36 EVs, Neutral Nature): 115.7 - 142.1% (22 - 27 HP) (Hail)

Snover @ Choice Scarf (184 EVs, Neutral Nature) 120 Ice Special vs Lotad @ Oran Berry (0/36 EVs, Neutral Nature): 84.2 - 110.5% (16 - 21 HP) (Hail)

Using a neutral nature and max Special Attack, Snover KO Lotad with either Life Orb and/or Stealth Rock, which is pretty bad for Lotad. In addition, HP Rock doesn't do much back:

Lotad @ Oran Berry (0 EVs, -Nature) Hidden Power Rock vs Snover @ Life Orb (116/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 41.6 - 50% (10 - 12 HP) (Hail)

And for Mantyke, who normally run HP Flying, it's even worse. Mantyke has 120 base special defense, which for those who don't know, is amazing in Little Cup (can be compared to Blissey's walling abilities). This is just sad:

Lotad @ Oran Berry (0 EVs, -Nature) Hidden Power Rock vs Mantyke @ Life Orb (76/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 27.2 - 36.3% (6 - 8 HP) (Rain)

and then Lotad takes some back...

Mantyke @ Life Orb (200 EVs, +Nature) 70 Flying Special vs Lotad @ Oran Berry (0/36 EVs, Neutral Nature): 136.8 - 168.4% (26 - 32 HP) (Rain)

tl;dr, Lotad wants Rain Dance over HP Rock on its first set.

oh sorry I had the wrong EV SpA EVs and nature on Lotad *_*
but to the same degree:

Lotad @ Life Orb (196 EVs, Neutral Nature) Hidden Power Rock vs Mantyke @ Life Orb (76/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 45.4 - 63.6% (10 - 14 HP) (Rain)

Lotad @ Life Orb (196 EVs, Neutral Nature) Hidden Power Rock vs Snover @ Life Orb (116/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 66.6 - 83.3% (16 - 20 HP) (Rain)

Well they both still outspeed and kill regardless, so it doesn't matter how much damage Lotad can do, but just for the record they survive.

thats odd X-Act's applet says the opposite and have an extra stat point, maybe that was on the special side? heres CONCRETE proof that 216 in defense is better-

248/216/44 relaxed pert
physical defensive potential- (403)(297)= 119,691
special- (403)(227)= 91,481
total- 211,172

248/212/48
physical potential- (403)(295)= 118,885
special- (403)(228)= 91,884
Total-210,769

Therefore having 216 in def allows gives you .0019% better defensive potential (xD). I feel like a total geek for pointing that out but I always want to ev my pokemon perfectly, down to the last point.

This may be a total nitpick but I believe as Smogon, without a doubt the number 1 competitive pokemon website you should be teaching new players to hit jump points so they get the benefit of understanding how to train their pokemon as best they can.
I spoke to a QC member about this (SDS), and we agree with you. I will update the on-site spread accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)