Apprentice Program: Round Ninety Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Welcome to Round 98 of Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor, you're in the right place. Read the rules carefully and fill out the signup template below.
  • You must be able to access IRC or Skype, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication. We have an IRC channel #battling101 for easy communication with most of the tutors.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE. Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you. Tutors: if you agree to take on that tutee, you may have to take two tutees depending on our matchup situation.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped in the previous two rounds, or if you had a ridiculously inactive tutor. Make it obvious in your signup thread that you are requesting it, otherwise we'll just glance over it when making pairings.
Fill out this form below, failure to fill out this form adequately means that Battling 101 Mods can ignore your signup post.

Username:
PO/PS! Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
What tier do you want to learn?:
Tell us a little about yourself:
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
Example said:
Username: Steven Snype
PO/PS! Username: Andrew
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Tues, Fri 12 - 6 PM.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a baller that likes to play rugby and go to hackathons, but I'm pretty busy with stuff irl and often end up just sleeping through everything I need to go to.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up for future rounds if:

• You show poor activity over the course of a round (banned for 2 rounds)
  • You decide during the round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 2 rounds)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 1 or 2 rounds)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round (banned for 2 rounds, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist. (banned for 3 rounds)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above means you will have an extra round added to the regular ban. For example, if you show for a second round that you have poor activity, your ban will be 3 rounds. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

This round will end on August 5.

This thread will close after 60 amount of posts have been made to prevent a huge backlog of people requesting priority for the next round.

Username: xtracross
PO/PS! Username: Richhomiecrossy
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Most of the week usually in the afternoon/night. My timezone is EST
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing pokemon competitively since generation 4. I took a break after generation 5 and I am looking to come back and get better. I also play soccer which I play club for and I like to play video games as a hobby.

Username: aravar27
PO/PS! Username: JohnDoe27
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST – Generally after 3 PM on weekdays.
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC, alternatively ORAS OU
Tell us a little about yourself: 16 year old student, just trying to improve at the game I love. I'd say I'm of decent caliber, I know a good amount but I'm not quite there in terms of plays, teambuilding, and reads. Got back into Pokemon early 2014, really hit my stride in competitive since summer '14, where I got decently good at the UU metagame. Tried my hand at OU for a bit and didn't enjoy it, got into VGC since watching Cybertron in early 2015.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes, both.

Last edited:
Username: 666lumberjack
PO/PS! Username: FastFlygon / 666lumberjack
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 10AM - 2AM BST (GMT+1)
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS OU, focussing on advanced teambuilding and team-rating concepts
Tell us a little about yourself: 19yo from the UK. Played since DPP with top 5 OU / top 10 UU peaks, but I'm very rusty and looking to substantially improve my teambuilding skills. I generally prefer playing/building offensive teams. I enjoy playing stall but suck at building stall teams so I've only ever played other peoples. Balance is probably my least favourite playstyle. I also want to strive for PR access. I play a handful of puzzle and strategy games in addition to Pokemon - notably KSP, Infinifactory and Europa Universalis IV.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes, both. I would prefer IRC since my mic is very crackly.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Last edited:
Username: 3RROR404
PO/PS! Username: 3RROR404
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST available most of the time during the summer. On weekdays, I am online after 5PM EST. For most of my waking hours on weekends, I am PS.
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS Ubers, OU, or LC based on availability
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a college student majoring in Music and Interdisciplinary Studies for English and History. I have just recently started playing competitive Pokemon, and I would like to improve overall as a player. I enjoy reading and writing and casually play Chess.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Skype username: Marquisof0; I also can use IRC.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Username: LeoLancaster
PO/PS! Username: LeoLancaster
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -6, available pretty much all day on weekdays, weekends are hit-and-miss.
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I’m a 19 y/o business finance student who is proficient in classical piano. I’ve been involved in UU since January or so after I got sick of OU and liked it enough to stay and actually participate in the community (moreso on PS than smogon, but I lurk a ton). Because of this, I’d like to actually get somewhere with the tier.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
Yes

Username: LetMeShine-
PO/PS! Username: Holiano
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1
What tier do you want to learn?: BW OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I play since end of dpp. I have play all of BW, but in low tiers, and I want to learn the OU now. So I sign-ups here because i know i can learn here a lot of thinks with good player
Reymedy agrees to be my tutor for this round :).

Username: EdwardElric15
PO/PS Username: VentusAwakening
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1, I'm usually available all days
What tier do you want to learn?: DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a 16 years in high school. I like watching anime/film/series and playing video games
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Skype

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Username: -Voltage-
PO/PS! Username: Jenn Brown
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 CDT, Generally all days after 1PM Central
Tell us a little about yourself: I’m going to a be a senior in high school and since I have an entire summer to kill, I might as well get good at mons. I’m decent at OU, but I’m looking to get that extra push to be EVEN better. Of course I’m also totally willing to learn new things too since just playing one tier can get a little old.

I was offered priority for this round.

Username:Dominatio
PO/PS! Username:Dominatio
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST/GMT -8, Monday –Friday evenings and occasionally in the late morning/early afternoon, weekends almost any time of the day
What tier do you want to learn?:ORAS OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I am a 14 year old high school freshman, and currently spending most of my spare time on Smogon or the PS server. I’ve been wanting to improve my OU teambuilding and game execution.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Both, but prefer IRC

Username: Vader_the_White
PS! Username: VadertheWhite
Timezone and usual hours of availability: Central (US), Tues, Thurs, Sat, 6pm-midnight
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a bit of a nerd-of-all-trades with interesting that range from horror to gaming, though I tend not to be as good as I want to be .
I’ve been playing OU since late 2010, so I do understand competitive play and I do understand some of the differences mechanically between singles and doubles.

Username: Blane
PO/PS! Username: Najn
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +4 - From 7 PM to 6 AM. Sometimes it can be a bit earlier than 7 PM and also ends a bit before 6 AM.
Tell us a little about yourself: A college student at summer break with a lot of free time. I've been playing Pokemons ever since its beginnings, and OU competitively since BW, with some breaks.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes, Skype.

Username: Sir_Bagel
PO/PS! Username: Lord Bagel
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Eastern Standard. Weekdays after 5 pm eastern, weekends all times can work
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS OU/NU based an what is open. Mainly ou however.
Tell us a little about yourself:16 and spends too much time on the computer.

Nedor

thiccc
Username: Nedor
PO/PS! Username: Nedor
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00) I'm free a lot of the time let's just say that ;_;
What tier do you want to learn: ORAS NU
Tell us a little about yourself: Been playing OU since early XY, wanted to branch out into at least one different tier. I'm also a dude who enjoys snow swimming (Canada is amazing), football (not American), as well as track and field. I also wanted to get into ORAS NU because I see many new users asking for help in Competitive Tutoring and I hate not being able to support them :]
Are you able to use IRC or Skype?: Skype preferably
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: ye

Username: Based Lord ATG
PO/PS! Username: Based Lord ATG
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 (EST) Any day of the week from 11:00 am - 7:00 pm
(However, since it's summer, these times are extremely flexible.)
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a 17 year old college bound student, currently pursuing a career in medicine. In my spare time, I really enjoy listening to music, watching netflix, hanging out with friends, and playing pokemon.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes, I prefer Skype though.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Weebl
PO/PS! Username: Weebl
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EDT (GMT-4), Most of the EDT day, from about 9 AM to 12 PM, 2 PM to. I'm flexible though.
What tier do you want to learn?: Doubles OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a Canadian student who loves Classics, trivia, and watching anime. I also like playing tennis. On Smogon, I do GP checks for analyses and The Smog. Plus, Doubles seems cool, and I've always wanted to learn it. My experience with the tier is pretty much limited to using sample teams on the ladder lol.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: I can use both.

Username: Salad
PO/PS! Username: Saladist
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: BST, most of the time.
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS OU.
Tell us a little about yourself: Used to play old gens on PO, and somewhat play this tier.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes, skype is more convenient however.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yep

TDK has agreed to tutor me.

Username: Zaionar
PO/PS! Username: Zaionar
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+2, i can always make time, if we have an arrangement
Tell us a little about yourself: just an ordinary 18y old student, trying to get into new tiers. In my freetime, I read , play games or basketball
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: both, though i prefer skype
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

King UU agreed to tutor me, he added Ironbullet to a conversation where he confirmes this

Username: MajesticM
PO/PS! Username: MajesticM
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Open, GMT -5 tz
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC or UU
Tell us a little about yourself: 20 yo college kid from MI. Like to shoot stuff in vidja games
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Skype

Been skipped a few times, dont remember the rounds.

Username: Floushaide
PO/PS! Username: Floushaide
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+2
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a man who play a lot of tiers
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: More skype

TheEnder agrees to be my tutor

Username: Miang
PO/PS! Username: Miang
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: gmt+1, available everyday I guess
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS NU
Tell us a little about yourself: mainly a ubers player, NU looks like a fun tier that I wanna test
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: both

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Username: Yoda2798
PO/PS! Username: Yoda2798
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT, most of the time between 11am and 9pm (yay for Summer holidays!)
What tier do you want to learn?: Doubles OU
Tell us a little about yourself: Been into competitive mons since start of XY, mainly playing OU but lately other tiers as well; but in particular interested in Doubles. Enthusiastic to learn and improve, both in teambuilding and in playing.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes, can use both (would prefer Skype if possible)

[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/apprentice-program-round-ninety-seven.3541653/page-2#post-6283555"]I was skipped in the previous round, but it was only a single round, not two, so I don't think that means I get priority.[/URL]

Username:AGuyWithPants
PO/PS! Username: AGuyWithPants
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: +5:30 GMT. Im usually available from 9 AM to 3 AM my time.
Tell us a little about yourself: Ive been playing on Showdown on and off for nearly a year now. Due to College starting in a month, Im free for now and would like to spend some time to learn more about competitive battling. I want to improve my knowledge of competitive battling and learn how to be better than I am right now and I hope this program will help me do this.

Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes. I can use Skype.

Username: esca
PO/PS! Username: escalope
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: CEST (GMT +2)/ on weekdays 7 PM-11 PM, weekend anytime
Tell us a little about yourself: I am 19 years old and i like Anime and bad jokes.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: either is fine. preferring skype though.

Aurious agrred to tutor me. We are also in the same time zone.

Username:Luxray
PO/PS! Username:pokemongarchomp12
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Pacific Time Zone (UTC-08:00) Monday-Thursday 1pm-5pm
What tier do you want to learn?: ORAS OU Singles
Tell us a little about yourself: College student and looking to learn the ORAS OU Metagame.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes.

Username: Disenchanted
PO/PS! Username: Disenchanted Your timezone and usual hours of availability: At night during the week and all day in the weekend n_n
What tier do you want to learn?: BW OU
Tell us a little about yourself: The first time I heard about competitive mons was still BW, but was in the end of the meta, so I didn't have the time to learn about the meta and be in a good level to play that tier in tours, so I would like to learn it
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Both
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:Yes

Username: fredrick1
PO/PS! Username: fredrick1, other relevant alts, etc
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: I am GMT+7. I am available commonly during evening 3PM to like 1AM in the morning.
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a student, living in a tropical archipelago with english as my primary language. I have been playing for quite awhile now and would definately like to become a better player by hearing my tutor's insight on the game. Currently on a ladder stuck and cant reach higher.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes! I will do my best to adapt with the method of communation my tutor is most comfortable with.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:Yes I do.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Username: Ununhexium
PO/PS! Username: Ununhexium
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 pretty Mich all day
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm just a god awful builder lol
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: yes

Username: PSDuckie
PO/PS! Username: PSDuckie
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Eastern; Mon-Fri 7PM-3AM
What tier do you want to learn?: VGC
Tell us a little about yourself: This is my second time on Battling 101. The first time was for BW2 OU (thanks Jirachi!) and I learned a lot. Now that XY and ORAS are out, I'd like to switch to VGC. However, when I made a VGC RMT, I realized that I still need to learn a lot about the format. Thus, I'm here again.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Yes.

Username: Hector Hard Mode
PO/PS! Username: Hector Hard Mode
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST (GMT -8, 8PM - 12 AM are best most days)
Tell us a little about yourself: OU vet since DPP from Canada entering college, want to make that jump to becoming a great player.
Are you able to use either IRC or Skype?: Both are fine. Skype is preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)