AG Anything Goes Community Create-A-Team

pichus

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
(I'll make a quick banner later)
Welcome to the second Anything Goes Community Create-A-Team (or CCAT). Since the USUM metagame is new and exciting with the introduction of Necrozma and a myriad of new tutor moves, I've decided to host a CCAT to kick off the updated metagame. The objective of this is to build a competitive viable USUM Anything Goes team that can be used effectively in the current metagame. We'll go through each team slot initially, providing sets and explaining why they would fit on the team. After sets have been posted, we'll vote for which set would be optimal. Once we've done this for all six teamslots, we'll go through and fix any issues the team had initially. Hooray for teamwork!

Rules:
  • Please refrain from posting bad or "gimmick" sets. Innovation is fine, but I reserve the right to exclude sets that suck from voting.
  • When posting a Pokemon, post it with a moveset, and a few sentences of description on why you think it fits the team and why you chose the moveset you chose.
  • When voting, you can only select one or two submissions. Explanations of votes are nice but not required.
  • Feel free to discuss other submissions, but please only refute others' sets with solid reasoning (as opposed to "I hate Necrozma so I don't want to include it").
The Team So Far:

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Low Kick

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Charm
- Confide
- Rest
- Taunt

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Rest
- Thousand Arrows
- Haze

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Judgment
- Recover
- Toxic

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Sassy Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
First Stage: We'll be choosing a Pokemon to start the team. Please post a set that we should build around.

I might as well make a submission.

Arceus-Electric @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover / Earth Power
- Calm Mind

I think it'd be fun to build around Calm Mind Eleceus. BoltBeam: Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are objectively great options for coverage allowing Electric Arceus to hit anything relevant in AG for at least neutral damage. Fortunately this set lures in Zygarde which it can easily deal with; however, it can struggle with Primal Groudon switchins. Earth Power is an option over Recover to bop Primal Groudon once weakened but Recover is superior in most cases due to the inability to adequately deal with it. Otherwise there aren't many apparent walls to this bar Chansey and Unaware users. The EVs allow it to 2HKO most metagame threats with relative ease, but the SpA could easily be replaced with standardish HP if people see fit.

Please post your own nominations as I'm sure the majority of you have something else you'd prefer to build around.

Araquanid-Totem @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Careful Nature
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Rest
- Spider Web

This monstrosity will wall Groudon-Primal lacking Stone Edge, Arceus-Steel, Arceus-Ground, Pretty much every specially based Arceus. It also can check Zygarde-Complete's Dragon Dance set by resisting its main stab and its Liquidation breaks the Substitute. Toxic + Liquidation is really hard to switch into. I can see it work on a cool team. Make it happen guys.

I'd like to build around Mew.

Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpD / 104 Spe
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Amnesia
- Soft-Boiled
- Taunt

Mew is a Pokemon that I've always wanted to work with on a Baton Pass team, due to its immense moveset. It gets Nasty Plot, Amnesia, Barrier, and Calm Mind, all very useful towards gaining the needed stats to survive, as well as recovery in Soft-Boiled or Roost, and other utility moves such as Taunt and Defog; the set posted here is only one of many possibilities. On top of this, it has 100/100/100 defenses, better than many Baton Pass mons. With a Psychic typing to resist Photon Geyser and Light That Burns The Sky and a Colbur Berry before getting the first Amnesia for Yveltal, it looks to be a promising Pokemon to build around. The EVs here max out Special Defense while still allowing it to outspeed Mega Gengar at +1, along with Ultra Necrozma, Marshadow, and Arceus. Other possibilities are Barrier over Amnesia to build defense on opponents such as Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza, or even using both. The possibilities are endless with this Pokemon.

Luckpwner (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fissure
- Horn Drill
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

The goal of this set is simple: Use Thunder Wave to paralyze the opponent's Pokémon, cutting down their Speed as well as the number of turns in which they are able to attack. After that, fire Fissures and Horn Drills at them while they are paralyzed, in hope of punching a few holes through their team, and possibly allowing another Pokémon such as Mega Rayquaza or Extreme Killer Arceus to sweep. This moveset works best against stall teams, since the passivity of such teams gives Mew many chances to land its one-hit KO moves. However, its ability to spread paralysis with Thunder Wave means that it is not completely deadweight against offensive teams either. Soft-Boiled combined with the EVs serve to increase Mew's longevity, as well as the number of chances it gets to use Fissure and Horn Drill. Speed is not important for this set, since it has Thunder Wave anyway.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Hone Claws / Ice Beam
- Substitute

First of all I'm dead serious about this. This submission is not a joke or a meme. If you hate it, just don't vote for it. At least hear me out first:

AG is flooded with vicious physical attackers aka mega ray, marshadow, sd variants of pdon and ultra necrozma. With these threats naturally making role compressions unavoidable, most teams that are not HO now have dedicated walls like fairyceus, zygarde-c, defensive yveltal in some cases, or lugia and giratina when it comes to stall.

I personally think this is where Kyurem-B can step in and perform as wallbreaker that has inexchangable traits: Teravolt and access to BP 200 Subzero Slammer. Barely anything in AG except Magearna, steelceus, and Dusk Mane resist this while being able to handle Fusion Bolt. I myself have been testing kyurem-b's efficiency more than a while and if used correctly and with ample team support, it can punch gigantic holes in the other team. Also arceus formes that are tasked to handle top tier threats either invest very heavily in defense or only have their speed benchmarked to outspeed primal groudon and often times let kyurem outspeed them.

Of course Kyurem requires tons of team support, but it isn't too matchup dependent. Admant subzero kills max hp xern after rocks, and it basically puts a dent on anything that doesn't resist it. It serves as an offensive check to CM Lunala, Primal Kyogre, and Ho-oh, while 125 hp lets it invest a litttle on hp and make 101 hp substitues to improve match up against stalls.

So yah, this is what I wanna build around, if anyone else actually decides to support me. I am down to any other ideas though. After all this is CCAT and it will be fun.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
necrozma-dawnwings.png

Necrozma-Dawn-Wings @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Photon Geyser
- Power Gem / ???

The exact set can totally be changed but I think dawn wings would be cool to build around. The general consensus, which I agree with, is that this mon kinda sucks. However, it's still a cool new mon with an easily definable niche, and it'd be nice to see a team actually try to use it. No big description because it's fairly straightforward and the set isn't really important (we could do non-ultra or SD or w/e), the point is that I like Dawn Wings.
As a side note, having run and participated in several other CCATs, there is a point where what ur using is so dumb that it genuinely hurts the project because of how awkward it is to try to use something like Araquanid or OHKO moves Mew. Honestly the only other thing I'd even consider voting for atm is Eleceus, which is practically the kind of mon this project is made for because it offers more freedoms without being super boring.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are out, we have entered into a new era of Anything Goes, let's talk about who's starring in it.

Coming in from Ultra Sun we have Necrozma's Dusk Mane form transforming into Ultra Necrozma. Ultra Necrozma so far is known to be best with a physical set because of higher variation of physical moves it can utilize. What this set does is simple. Its priority is to go for Swords Dance whenever it has the opportunity to, so that it'll be able to abuse the use of the three physical moves it has even more. When it cannot use Swords Dance or after Swords Dance is used at least once is where the other three moves come in. I honestly think Stone Edge is the most important physical move for Ultra Necrozma, specifically because it's the best Rock-type move for it. Necrozma needs a Rock-type move in order to become more successful as Yveltal, a Pokémon that is highly familiar to Anything Goes, is a complete counter to it otherwise. Earthquake and Sunsteel Strike are two other typical moves Necrozma could use. Earthquake takes better care of the Steel-types that tread in this metagame (Magearna, Arceus-Steel, other Dusk Mane, Ferrothorn, etc) as the rest of the moves it has are resisted by such Pokémon. Sunsteel Strike, an alternative, can be used especially for Dusk Mane to take care of Fairy-type Pokémon, making its journey of setting up, transforming, and sweeping easier. Photon Geyser is nearly a must-have as gives you the opportunity to hit physically bulky Pokémon with the special move and allows you to use the Z-Move Light That Burns The Sky. Photon Geyser is a special move that takes the higher of the Attack or Special Attack stat and uses it to attack. This means when you're using a physical set with this move, even though Photon Geyser is a special move, it doesn't need the special attack stat at all. This is also a reason why Dusk Mane is best when it has a Jolly Nature.

Nature and Item:

Jolly Nature is best for Dusk Mane because its special attack stat isn't needed because of how Photon Geyser works and because Necrozma's speed tier is slightly above that of threats such as Mega Rayquaza, Marshadow, and Arceus. All Pokémon that are primarily faster than Serperior at their high speed nature (including Mega Rayquaza, Marshadow, and Arceus) outspeed and could do a hefty toll against Necrozma. Necrozma users would also have to be careful as this Pokémon does not have priority.

If Necrozma wants to become Ultra, it has to hold Ultranecrozium Z, meaning it's restricted to just that one item.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Low Kick

Idk why but I think this might be good in a Psychic & Yveltal + Darkceus meta Arceus Ground and Fairy are obv a problem but thats where Araquanid-Totem comes in to play. Ice Punch could be run for coverage. Either way I think I might actually build with this Araquanid-Totem and Eleceus myself to see how it goes. Would kinda enjoy building with a different offensive Mega instead of Gar or Ray.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna make a nomination for this nice mon:

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun

Solgaleo was a really interesting mon to me when Sun and Moon dropped, but it wasn't that good. Dusk Mane Necrozma is a better version of Solgaleo that works so much better and is actually really nice in this meta. It checks Xerneas really well, as well as Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Fairy, etc. and sets up rocks quite reliably. It also hits quite hard (EVs i kinda forgot what they do but i remember that 76 atk ohkoes standard xern with sunsteel after rocks or something) and using rocks on this thing allows you to use things like dual dance pdon AND you can use ultra necrozma from dawn wings with this thing which actually pairs quite nicely.

Edit: credit to rngisfatal for the ev spread, works nicely

Last edited:

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Iron Defense / Refresh
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Calm Mind Arceus-Dark was a powerful force at the beginning of SM, its defensive typing was valued when Deospam was more common and Lunala and Solgaleo were still supposedly good. However, the introduction of Marshadow and increased usage of offensive teams made Darkceus increasingly hard to justify due to its defensive typing becoming less favourable and the presence of stronger stallbreakers like Gothitelle. However, with the release of the new Necrozma forms, Darkceus once again finds its defensive typing quite attractive and can find more setup chances as a result. This set offers some flexibility in building, Iron Defense is fantastic against offenseive teams provided Marshadow and Fairies are handled, whereas Refresh offers more potency against bulkier builds. I really enjoyed this mon in SM and I think it could definitely act as an effective base for a team that leaves options fairly open as well.

Last edited:

Arceus Water (Arceus-Ice) @ Icicle Plate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Def / 72 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Thunder / Fire Blast
- Calm Mind / Fire Blast
EVs are to survive +1 MRay's Dragon Ascent and OHKO with Judgment, also outspeeds max neutral 100s. EVs maybe can be optimized. Has a largely unresisted STAB and hits quite hard. Thunder for BoltBeam and Fire Blast for Steels.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast

Aurora Veil is a relatively untouched playstyle in AG, but I still think it has it's merits (i mean i 6-0ed a guy in R1 of seasonal with it, so that means it's pretty good?). Despite the prevalence of Primal Groudon, Mega Rayquaza, and Primal Kyogre, with the right support, Ninetales-Alola can keep the hail up to safely use Aurora Veil. If a Primal does come in before you use veil, you can use Hypnosis to incapacitate them and switch out into a pokemon that can deal with it. Freeze Dry is Ice STAB and can help deal with Primal Kyogre, Arceus Water, Toxapex, and other water types. Moonblast is Fairy STAB, and can help deal with Yveltal and Arceus Dark, since they are both very common in the Necrozma meta, as well as Mega Rayquaza, Ultra Necrozma, and Marshadow. EVs are for making Ninetales as fast as possible to make setting up Veil much easier.

If this gets in, some good partners are Ultra Necrozma, Zygarde, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus

Golduck @ Waterium Z/Focus Sash
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Hypnosis

One of the most underrated Pokemon in all of history, the Duck certainly has its merits. It holds up its middle webbed finger towards PDon as Cloud Nine doesn't give 2 shits about it, it threatens MRay after a V-Create with Ice Beam (or the Sash variant threatens it in general), and Hypnosis and Encore prove to be a nightmare to support Arceus forms. The Z-Move can come in clutch when an opposing support mon is at a level of HP where Surf just won't do and also to hit opposing Ho-Ohs hard when necessary. I'd love to see the Duck making waves in AG.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Sunsteel Strike
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun

Here is a very bulky necro mane that i feel is a very good rock setter and pivot. This is due to the fact of its typing (psychic/steel) and prism armor (3/4 super effective attacks that hit it). I can't think of much else to say about it. Mostly because this is a fairly simple mon.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Voting Time!
Post the name of the set that you want to win in a post. You can only vote for one or two submissions. You cannot vote for your own submission. Voting will end in 48 hours.
Explanations of votes are nice but not required.

You can vote for:
Chloe's Calm Mind Electric Arceus
Xynix's Baton Pass Mew
RNGisFatal's Icium Z Kyurem-Black
Megazard's Calm Mind Dawn Wings Necrozma
Ransei's Swords Dance Ultra Necrozma
GRNBLN's Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar
lotiasite's Specially Defensive Dusk Mane Necrozma
Pigeons's Calm Mind Dark Arceus
Chessking345's Calm Mind Ice Arceus
Squawkerz's Aurora Veil Alolan Ninetales
Ejthewolfy's Physically Defensive Dusk Mane Necrozma

Not including:
Thimo's Totem Araquanid - because it's outclassed by regular araquanid, which without webs is outclassed by a lot of other viable crap.
Samboelrod's Waterium Z Golduck - golduck can't switch in on any attack from either pdon or mray. it is outsped by mray all the time and offensive pdon frequently. hence it can only check pdon if it is already out, and often fails at this. running sash duck is like running a fear mon, except can only beat two mons instead of a larger quantity.
Transcendent God Champion's OHKO Spam Mew - we're trying to build a consistent team.

SaturnZelda

formerly TylerWithNumbers
Ransei

Also, would suggest putting X-Scissor or Brick Break in the EQ slot as options. Hit Dark types and Brick Break hits Pokémon like Ferrothorn

Megazard too

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
eleceus. if this gets changed so we can vote for two then like, honestly even for the good ones they either arent exactly starting points for a team (dusk mane) or are what id expect to be fairly bog standard (cm darkceus, sd unecro) so ig mttar

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Voting for Megazard's Calm Mind Dawn Wings Necrozma. Was a real toss-up between this and loti's SpDef Dusk Mance Necrozma but I think CM hasn't really been experimented with for Ultra Necrozma so it'd be neat to build with.

EDIT: We can vote for 2 so voting for loti as well

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)