Gen 5 Another Boring Sun Team... (Gen 5 PU)

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon

Another Boring Sun Team

Introduction

**Hello everyone and welcome to my first ever RMT. While we've been waiting for Gen 7 PU to come out, the PU Community has been playing a lot of what we call "PU Old Gens," in preparation for our PU Classic Tournament. Unfortunately, I was eliminated in Round 3 of the BW PU Open, which at first may not seem too impressive. However, this team has went toe to toe against some of the biggest NU and PU players, and is very hard to stop if you don't have a dedicated Sun check.**

An In-Depth Look at the Team

Onix @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Taunt
**So I wanted to dedicate my lead position on this team to a Pokemon that can setup Stealth Rock, setup Sunny Day, and explode so one of my 2 Chlorophyll sweepers could come in safely. Onix fulfills all of these criterias and also has access to Taunt. Onix also has the ability Sturdy, so it doesn't have to hold a Focus Sash like other suicide Sun leads, and it can hold a Heat Rock instead, extending the number of turns Victreebel and Shiftry have to wreck havoc.**

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth
**Victreebel is the hardest Chlorophyll user to counter, with its Grass/Poison/Fire coverage and Base 100 Special Attack stat. If Victreebel gets a +2 Growth boost, it becomes impossible to wall with even dedicated Special Walls like Audino taking 80%. Victreebel also absorbs Toxic Spikes for the team, which is an added plus. **

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
-Nature Power
**Shiftry is my other Chlorophyll abuser on this team. Shiftry has 3 things that make it stand out from other Sun Sweepers. One is the Dark-typing in combination with STAB Sucker Punch. Two is a huge Base 100 Attack stat complemented by Swords Dance. Three is Nature Power, which in generation becomes Earthquake, and bypasses opposing Sucker Punch due to it being a status move.**

Volbeat @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
- Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Encore
- Thunder Wave
**This team could not suffice on just 8 turns of Sun alone. Volbeat reliably can get up 8 more turns of Sun at any time due to it having the Prankster ability, and it also has other utility moves such as Thunder Wave and Encore, which can help dispose of opposing Chlorophyll users such as Jumpluff, or bulky setup sweepers like Duosion and Vigoroth. Volbeat was chosen over Illumise due to his slightly stronger U-Turn.**

Rapidash @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Bold Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun
**This team also needed a Fire-type to abuse the Sun, and Rapidash is the best choice to do it with, as it's the fastest Fire-type in the tier, provides a Fire-type immunity and has reliable recovery. Life Orb Flare Blitz in the Sun hits like a truck, and Electric coverage in Wild Charge helps deter Water-types from switching in.**

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick
**Rotom-Frost was chosen as the last Pokemon for this team because it becomes a form of Speed control if the Sun is no longer up. Nearly perfect Dual STAB in Electric and Ice backed up by a Base 105 Special Attack stat and pivoting move in Volt Switch is very resourceful for this team. Rotom-Frost also has a good matchup against typical Sun checks such as Jumpluff, Leafeon, and Scarf Golduck. While I've used many Pokemon in this position such as Scarf Golduck of my own, as well as Zebstrika, I've found Rotom-Frost to be the most reliable at forcing switches and being able to beat walls such as Audino and Bronzor by Tricking them the Choice Scarf.**

Conclusion

**Thanks for looking at my first ever RMT. I'd also like to thank you in advance for all your feedback. I'm really happy to share with you all this team I've found success with, and I hope you all find success with it as well.**

Threat List
  • Jumpluff--This thing is a nuisance for my team as 99% it has Chlorophyll itself and can outspeed either Victreebel and Shiftry and can KO them with Flying Gem Acrobatics or put them to sleep with Sleep Powder. The best way to remove Jumpluff is to put alot of Offensive pressure on it with Rotom-Frost and Rapidash and let residual damage from Stealth Rocks take care of him. Volbeat can also check it by utilizing Thunder Wave. However, Volbeat doesn't really want to take an Acrobatics in return, especially if its Flying Gem boosted.
  • Scarf Cloud Nine Golduck--This Pokemon plays a lot of 50/50s with this team. If you predict a Water-type move, stay in with Victreebel and Shiftry. If you predict the Ice-type move, go into Rapidash and Rotom-Frost. Every Offensive team member has a Super-Effective move against it, so if you play carefully, it shouldn't be an overwhelming issue, especially since Shiftry's Sucker Punch does a hefty chunk.
  • Scarf Zebstrika--Scarf Zebstrika outspeeds the entire team even in Sun, and threatens the team STAB Thunderbolts and Sun-boosted Overheats. However, this is another Pokemon that takes a hefty chunk from Shiftry's Sucker Punch.
Shoutouts to Akir, 2xTheTap, Anty, Galbia, Megazard, GeneralAnnoyance, PokemonMasterTJ, 275p, Evigaro, Robert Alfons, Many, Pancake, RawMelon, Broken Phobias, RivalET, Chrisloud, UBERSkitty, Bouff, Quite Quiet, Conor3197, Taskr, therealslap, Rennyjesus, amberrlamps, Slowbroth, 5gen, LST, YABO, ShuckleDeath, and more for the confidence you've instilled in me over the last year, accepting the countless challenges I've requested, and putting up with all my nonsense questions and unorthodox strategies.You all are wonderful to work alongside, and I'm happy to be a part of the PU Community.

Onix @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Taunt

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Nature Power

Volbeat @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Encore
- Thunder Wave

Rapidash @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)