Media Anime and Manga Thread MK3 - Beware Spoilers

FLIP FLAP

What anime are you guys going to watch next season, since I am watching all of Gintama, KonoSuba, Masamune-kun, Urara, Gabriel Dropout, Acca, Maid Dragon, Kuzu no Honkai, Fuuka, Little Witch, Seiren, and I am continuing 3-Gatsu as well.

Edit; and Onihei

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To Be Hero's last episode was fantastic.

Episode 11's ending was heartbreaking too and I'm glad i wasn't watching while it was airing because I don't know how I would have waited a week to see what the fuck happened. The fact that the father ends up like what he was in his head during his coma is hilarious yet doesn't fuck with the episode's mood, which is brilliant in my opinion.

Yuri on Ice!!!'s ending was... rushed. It really needed one more episode I believe. Atleast there's gonna be a second season I guess?

Looks like they will be skating together in doubles (I dunno what the term is for skating)? The voice actor doing the French scenes is absolutely fantastic by the way. Surprised me just as much as the song in the first episode of 3-gatsu no lion that Shaft used.

Haikyuu!! S3 stays being fantastic.
Everybody on the team worked so hard and it was refreshing to see Tsukishima be the MVP this match. The coach's VA dying was devastating to hear and the final words that were said by him in the anime made it so much more powerful...
«
Don't you dare look down! Volleyball is a sport where you're always looking up!

Might post more about this season after I finish the other shows I am following.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Winter 2016-2017

Ao no Exorcist S2: I will check it out since I watched S1 years ago. I do remember it being generic standard shounen with some bullshit plot-devices, but oh well...

Masamune-Kun no Revenge: Heard the manga of this is fantastic.

Urara Meirochou: JC Staff and SoL

Fuuka: I wanna give it a chance... but the studio working on it made most of the most horrible shows that aired the past 3+ years.

Kuzu no Honkai: Could become something like Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, so I have to check it out.

Konosuba S2: who would not?

ACCA 13-Ku Kansatsu-Ka: It's Madhouse and it's not a sport show adaptation; it should be good this time.

Little Witch Academia: It's Trigger.

One Room: 10 minute short with cute girls.

Hand Shakers: Mostly because i'm curious, might drop it fast.​

RODAN

Banned deucer.
I'll be checking out everything next season as per usual. Standouts to me are Onihei and Little Witch Academia. Onihei I know nothing about other than its a seinen about samurai with a really cool art style. I'm sold. Theres literally no way LWA will be bad.

stuff i'm watching next season:

- Konosuba S2
- Little Witch Academia
- Digimon Adventure tri 4

and I'll probably end up picking anywhere from 1-3 other shows to watch depending on how much hype they get

sequels that I'm excited to see this year:

- Attack on Titan S2 (April)
- Boku no Hero Academia S2 (April)
- Saekano S2 (April)
- Kekkai Sensen S2 (April)
- One Punch Man S2 (presumably sometime in 2017)
- FLCL sequel (same)

on a separate note I just finished watching Hourou Musuko and I'm nearly done with Ouran, and watching these two shows at the same time has been quite the experience

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm hyped asf for Konosuba s2. The first season put a humorous spin on the tired old "stuck in a videogame" cliche which left me wanting more and I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already. Little Witch Academia also stood out to me as someone who's borderline obsessed with all things Trigger. Can't wait for Winter 2017.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
can someone reccomend something to me thats similar in nature to konosuba or the devil is a parttimer? Here is my mal, almost everything im watching is basically on hold, haven't watched or read anything in months outside one or two episodes of a show

can someone reccomend something to me thats similar in nature to konosuba or the devil is a parttimer? Here is my mal, almost everything im watching is basically on hold, haven't watched or read anything in months outside one or two episodes of a show
comedy anime or just anime that are generally similar?

for comedy:
  • give Ouran a shot, it's a classic and its humor is very much self-referential. whereas konosuba parodies the "stuck in a fantasy world" genre and part-timer parodies the fantasy genre in general, ouran is a parody of shoujo manga/anime.
  • along similar lines is Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun, which parodies romantic comedies and also shoujo manga (and is also on your PTW).
  • both of these shows' humor is very similar to the humor in konosuba and in part-timer, although the content of these shows is drastically different (and there's very little fanservice in either series). in general the comedy in both of these shows is incredibly sharp, although I would personally say that Nozaki-Kun has a stronger cast of characters (which is something I think was also a strong point for both konosuba and part-timer)
for other anime:
  • Shokugeki no Souma, for the same reasons as the other ones. parody of battle shounens, ecchi elements, etc
  • Keijo!!!!!!!! (which is also on your PTW) is also similar in that all of its humor is a parody of tropes in sports anime, though the show also parodies well-known things from other anime/manga series as well (Fate and Attack on Titan, to name some). strangely enough it's not really an ecchi comedy in the way that Saekano and Konosuba are, but it's pretty strong in its own right.
  • anything in this list that you haven't seen already

Reactions: tcr

RODAN

Banned deucer.
NICHIBROS

I have been watching Days this holidays and I have a strong feel the guys didn't look after a good consultant to animate the matches scenes :| my gosh

It have it's downsides, like the progression being really slow and kinda annoying at some points. Also,as a soccer fan myself I was huge disapointed by watching the sport portrayed in scene am considering writing my own anime stuff lol. Its selling points are the cool artwork and the storyline, albeit slow as I said, is very enjoyable. The characters are nice and you really feel like watching them grow as the episodes passes.

It's pretty fun and I would recommend it even with the flaws I mentioned :]

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
stuff i'm looking forward to next season:

meido dragon: the manga is pretty funny at times and it's mother fucking kyoani
masamune-kun no revenge: apparently this is good
akiba strip: pv reminds me of punchline
gabriel dropout: umaru-chan died and went to heaven
kuzu no honkai: idk much about this but the girl looks cute
rewrite s2: lol not really looking forward to this actually but i'll end up watching it
little witch academia: aots
konosuba s2

overall it's looking like a good season for comedy/sol/light hearted stuff

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
10 years have passed, but Code Geass R2 remains to be my favorite ever anime.
Akito was nothing like R1 and R2 though.

For the 10th anniversary, it was announced that R3 "Lelouch of Resurrection" also translated as "Lelouch of the Revival", is coming in 2017... and that our SAVIOR Lelouch has NOT died for some reason.

Here's the leaked PV or R3:
(Leaked PV starts at 1:00 )

And here's a rather good analyses video:
------------------

Now, I suppose, in the original novel, Lelouch was meant to be dead. But due to the anime's success, they kinda forced themselves to make a new season.

So I guess the plot of the story would not be as great as R2.
But hopefully, it would be better than Akito. (I really don't like the Akito series, sorry.)

The PV uses solely music from R2. So I'd suppose it recycled most of the R2 music for most situations.
Actually it would be a good move to use R2 music, as it is kind of nostalgic.

PS: The scene where Cornelia sees a Buddha looks like Cambodia to me. It certainly looked tropical and Asian, (Buddha, duh!) and Cornelia had a thing with Cambodia during R2.

cant wait for gintama!!! last season was my favorite so far, and the last two arcs were absolutely amazing. i'm hoping this'll be just as good if not better :o

The nekopara oval kickstarter has already doubled it's goal. And somebody already did the 10000 dollar pledge. The Internet really loves cat girls.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
what have you been watching on the offseason? I've been watching Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I'm absolutely blown away by it. The staff on this show is absolutely insane, episode 6 is a borderline masterpiece I think. The show itself feels very SHAFT/Ikuhara-y, despite neither working on the show. Highly recommend

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what have you been watching on the offseason? I've been watching Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I'm absolutely blown away by it. The staff on this show is absolutely insane, episode 6 is a borderline masterpiece I think. The show itself feels very SHAFT/Ikuhara-y, despite neither working on the show. Highly recommend
I watched Mononoke, was pretty damn amazing. An experimental aesthetic that pays homage to traditional Japanese screen-printing, some of the BEST SOUND DESIGN I HAVE EVER HEARD IN AN ANIME, and truly top-notch pacing, together make for a very pleasing first excursion into true Japanese horror anime. It pulls off themes of regret, despair, and fatalism without pretense or melodrama, instead preferring to rely on a slow, creeping dread combined with ambiguity laid upon ambiguity to really make viewers think about what's going on onscreen without being confusing. A strong 9 to a 10 in my book.

I also binged through the manga Beck. While its art style can be a little weak at times, this shounen about a small but promising Japanese rock band is probably one of the best music-themed manga, and indeed, one of the best shounen manga, I have ever read. While the art style isn't the most refined, the drawings are expressive and the shading subtle. The characters are richly developed and sympathetic, and their growth is believable and really draws you in. It's too bad this is dragged down by a rather lackluster romance subplot filled with contrivance and melodrama. Strong 7 to light 8.

some semi-brief end-of-season thoughts, 4 days late because i was out of state for new years

(spoilers obviously)

Keijo!!!!!!!!
took a really weird concept and just executed it incredibly well. made me consistently laugh pretty much every week. possibly the least ecchi anime that's still an ecchi anime that I've seen so far, which is more due to how seriously the show takes itself. plot was bog-standard and finale was kinda weak, but the whole thing was really enjoyable overall.

Hibike! Euphonium 2
I think this one suffered a lot from being a sequel. they didn't really plan ahead for S2 when producing S1, and it sorta shows - the Reina subplot suffers and is rushed, things with Asuka aren't built up to as much in S1 as they could have been, the interactions with Kumiko's sister are disorienting given how little she was in S1 previously. the first arc with Mizore wasn't bad, but it was tiring, whereas the second arc with Asuka is the best thing the series has ever produced, imo.

Reina as a character is completely dead in the water, and it seems like all of her development completely stagnated after S1 - moreover it seems like every single arc in both seasons can more or less be summarized by "kumiko meets person, person has a problem, kumiko fixes problem, person's development is now over", which would be fine for more side characters but is just disappointing for Reina. finale was alright. like I said earlier, S2 is carried pretty much entirely by asuka and by kumiko's voice actress

Flip Flappers
this was really fucking good until the last ~2 episodes? things kinda started falling apart for me after that, I think due to a combination of too many loose strings from earlier in the show left dangling along with some sloppy execution toward the finale. I get that Pure Illusion was used to bring out Mimi's "evil" and overprotective side as the final villain, but that just made her character really dull and too predictable. I have a lot of "why did X" and "what was the point of Y" that I could write about, but I want to keep this brief.

I guess my main issue is that it threw a lot of balls in the air in the first half and caught very few of them. I'm not 100% sure what I was supposed to take away from the show, either - is it that Pure Illusion and Papika have helped Cocona to see the wonder and the excitement in the world, or is it more than that? Is it that Cocona now has some kind of excitement about life and about the world that she just didn't have in episode 1? I have no idea. If anyone wants to share their own point of view, please feel free. Overall I really enjoyed Flip Flappers, but I wasn't satisfied by the ending.

also this had the best OP of the season and possibly the best ED of the year, imo

3-gatsu no Lion
Started off sort of shaky imo, especially with the aggressive tonal shifts, but either it's managed to find its footing recently or I've just gotten used to it. Amazing characters, very Shaft-y, great OP/ED, and an excellent take on depression overall. They might have had some budget issues early on (had to skip a week and also played the Cat Shogi song for 3 episodes), and occasionally the show is over-reliant on narration, but in general it's really solid.

as for what I'm watching now, I'm taking Baccano! off of my PTW next. Everyone raves about the dubbed version, is it worth it?

RODAN

Banned deucer.
i watched the dub and thoroughly enjoyed it, it fits the series a lot more to hear them speaking englush

3-gatsu no Lion
Started off sort of shaky imo, especially with the aggressive tonal shifts, but either it's managed to find its footing recently or I've just gotten used to it. Amazing characters, very Shaft-y, great OP/ED, and an excellent take on depression overall. They might have had some budget issues early on (had to skip a week and also played the Cat Shogi song for 3 episodes), and occasionally the show is over-reliant on narration, but in general it's really solid.
Yeah, I felt the same, it only got good around episodes 4 & 5, so I definitely recommend this to people who dropped it early.

Haha, I loved the Shogi song. The reason it played three times is so they could finish the song, since they explained 3 of the pieces every time they played it.

i started baccano and the first episode is beyond confusing, but apparently it's supposed to be that way so i'm not too worried

the whole thing absolutely oozes style, the OP is great, the soundtrack is great, and I'm loving the dub so far

Yeah, I felt the same, it only got good around episodes 4 & 5, so I definitely recommend this to people who dropped it early.

Haha, I loved the Shogi song. The reason it played three times is so they could finish the song, since they explained 3 of the pieces every time they played it.
I get that, it just didn't really add anything to the show beyond when we first saw it as an ED. Felt more like a way to just fill up 6 minutes of time.

Today's episode was good, too, but still had that same problem of overnarration imo.

One of the first scenes is a flashback to the Kawamoto house, where Akari makes a point about the kotatsu being warm but the cold being that much more bitter once you get up from it. I thought it was fairly clear that it was meant to be a metaphor for Rei's everyday life, and that it was well done - but then they had Rei spend the next minute explaining the metaphor, which I was a little disappointed by. The visuals were beautiful, so I can't complain too much.

EDIT: ok they did a much better job than I thought, the whole episode is sorta centered around this idea and the more hidden themes involve Rei's sister (biological / adopted / Momo)

in other news, maid dragon airs in 2 days and i'm excited

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)