OU Ampharos

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While I completely agree that Scizor is a perfect teammate for Mega Ampharos, MEGA Scizor is not for obvious reasons. Also, what Ground-types is Scizor checking, exactly? The common OU ones I can think of are Hippowdon, Gliscor, Excadrill, Landorus-I, Landorus-T, Quagsire, and Garchomp (maybe Krookodile thanks to TFL). Scizor checks only Landorus-I and Krookodile with Bullet Punch and U-turn respectively, but doesn't want to take neutral Ground hits from any of them, especially thanks to the severe bulk decrease from having to stay non-Mega. Scizor is still great though for checking threats and U-turns, but since it has to not go Mega it's not AS great.
It was a brain fart on my part, forgot that you can't use Mega Scizor alongisde Mega Ampharos :D

Overview:

-
Mention that its a good check to Zard Y, Keldeo, and Thundurus that can't isnt weak to Pursuit.
- Mold Breaker also allows you to OHKO Dragonite, Skarmory, doesnt give Manetric the L-Rod boost and hits Chesnaught with Focus Blast as situational as that is. I would mention OHKOing Skarm and Dragonite as the main points.

RestTalk set:

- This is just me but I would make it 248 HP on this set because odd HP numbers. Nitpicky but its something that bothers me.
- Mention AV Torn-T as good partner since it can switch in to Landorus since it halts your Volt Switch and threatens you with Earth Power.

Agility Set:

- Mention at +2 you outspeed everything up to Timid Greninja.
- Keldeo / Landorus / Bisharp should be mentioned as good offensive partners.
- Politoed should be considered too to be able to spam Thunder
- Mention things that will allow it to have an easier time to set up. For example I used Memento Latios, while Dual Screens can work as well.
- What are something that it can set up? Be specific.

I think that's everything I noticed. Once you fix those I will stamp it.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Overview:

-
Mention that its a good check to Zard Y, Keldeo, and Thundurus that can't isnt weak to Pursuit.
- Mold Breaker also allows you to OHKO Dragonite, Skarmory, doesnt give Manetric the L-Rod boost and hits Chesnaught with Focus Blast as situational as that is. I would mention OHKOing Skarm and Dragonite as the main points.

RestTalk set:

- This is just me but I would make it 248 HP on this set because odd HP numbers. Nitpicky but its something that bothers me.
- Mention AV Torn-T as good partner since it can switch in to Landorus since it halts your Volt Switch and threatens you with Earth Power.

Agility Set:

- Mention at +2 you outspeed everything up to Timid Greninja.
- Keldeo / Landorus / Bisharp should be mentioned as good offensive partners.
- Politoed should be considered too to be able to spam Thunder
- Mention things that will allow it to have an easier time to set up. For example I used Memento Latios, while Dual Screens can work as well.
- What are something that it can set up? Be specific.

I think that's everything I noticed. Once you fix those I will stamp it.
Done

Memento Latios not Latias. also mention scarfers as checks and counters since every scarfer at the moment can outspeed and OHKO with EQ and it requires to boost twice. slash Thunder on the agility set too

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just as a reminder, you have this listed right now as QC 3/4, meaning you need to write it up before you receive any more checks.

I would slash Timid next to Modest for the Agility set, or at the very least give it a significant mention in Set Details. Timid allows you to outspeed Adamant Scarf Excadrill, a relevant and extremely dangerous threat, as well as Mega Manectric, which can do significant damage with HP Ice.

Your usage tips for the Agility set are kind of bare—yeah, all you have to do is press agility and sweep, but when? Why? What should be done beforehand? How do you take care of checks and counters? This also matters for Team Options. For example, Wobbuffet can easily eliminate a choice-locked Garchomp or Excadrill to allow Mega Ampharos to sweep. Go more in-depth and talk about how the rest of the team needs to function in order to facilitate Mega Ampharos's sweep.

Entry hazard support should be mentioned in the team options of both sets. For RestTalk, many of Ampharos's targets, such as Thundurus, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y, are weak to Stealth Rock. For the Agility set, entry hazards greatly help in wearing down special walls, particularly Chansey and specially defensive Mega Venusaur.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not QC but just a few nitpicks.

Overview:

- Good bulk and typing allows it to switch into top threats such as Rotom Wash and Talonflame
- Great counter to Charizard Y, Keldeo, and Thundurus
- One of the best counters to Electric-types
These can be fused into a single point. Something like "Decent bulk and typing lets Mega Ampharos counter top threats like Rotom-W, Talonflame, Charizard Y, Keldeo, Thundurus, and Electric-types in general.

- Mold Breaker is a good ability in theory, but nearly useless on Mega-Ampharos. However, it does allow Mega-Ampharos to hit Thundurus-T with Thunderbolt
- Mold Breaker allows Mega Ampharos to OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale, Skarmory through Sturdy, and even hit Chesnaught with Focus Blast
These two points directly contradict each other.

- Not weak to Pursuit
Why is this being mentioned? Literally hundreds of Pokemon aren't weak to Pursuit. It's a con, not a pro. edit: i just realized that subject 18 made the suggestion to add this, which I still find odd :/ however definitely take qc's word over mine.

Good job, and good luck.

*Type Counters* Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill counter the RestTalk set, although all can be Ohkoed by a Focus Blast from the Bulky Attacker set

*Status* Status problems such as a Burn or Poison put a timer on Mega Ampharos's time on the field, as it can only get rid of these by risking a moveslot for Rest or Heal Bell
This is a bit confusing. You make blatant references to the bulky attacker set, but there's no mention of it at all in the analysis. Only a little rewording is necessary, but perhaps you could mention it in OO, or even in Set Details of the first set? Oh and as far as "type counters" go, don't you think that it looks a lot easier (and cleaner) to simply group them all together as "Special Walls" and "Ground-types"? Doryuuzu and Hippowdon do pretty much the same thing as far as checking Mega Amph is concerned (switching in, not minding either of its STAB, and threatening with a STAB Earthquake); in a similar vein, TTar, Nattorei, Chansey, etc are all fantastic Volt Switch sponges that are also capable of beating SDef Amph (or, at the very least, are capable of shortening its lifespan significantly).

Oh, and, OO can be expanded a bit, with one of the most notable options being Discharge. I'm a bit taken aback that everyone is so adamant on Volt Switch always being the superior option to use ("becuz momentum"). Spreading paralysis not only helps Ampharos in the long run (really helps with TauntTran, super ballsy Mega Mawile, Mega Gardevoir, Mega DDTTar, Mega Venu, and can be used for hax in general), but it can be also be used for solid team support if Ampharos is to be used on something more... defensive. Lastly, in the previous thread, someone made a mention of a fully specially defensive set. The calcs they'd provided showed a very large difference in defensive capability (doing things like taking LO Lando's EPand OHKOing back with HP Ice), and for that reason, I think that it deserves a fairly modest mention in OO with the label "Sacrifices a lot of power, but tanks 'X', 'Y', 'Z', etc much better", or something along those lines.

I'm not QC, but I've used this thing more than enough for my word to be valid (also, those who I practice with can attest to the effectiveness and downsides of Discharge and Volt Switch, respectively).

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
This is a bit confusing. You make blatant references to the bulky attacker set, but there's no mention of it at all in the analysis. Only a little rewording is necessary, but perhaps you could mention it in OO, or even in Set Details of the first set? Oh and as far as "type counters" go, don't you think that it looks a lot easier (and cleaner) to simply group them all together as "Special Walls" and "Ground-types"? Doryuuzu and Hippowdon do pretty much the same thing as far as checking Mega Amph is concerned (switching in, not minding either of its STAB, and threatening with a STAB Earthquake); in a similar vein, TTar, Nattorei, Chansey, etc are all fantastic Volt Switch sponges that are also capable of beating SDef Amph (or, at the very least, are capable of shortening its lifespan significantly).

Oh, and, OO can be expanded a bit, with one of the most notable options being Discharge. I'm a bit taken aback that everyone is so adamant on Volt Switch always being the superior option to use ("becuz momentum"). Spreading paralysis not only helps Ampharos in the long run (really helps with TauntTran, super ballsy Mega Mawile, Mega Gardevoir, Mega DDTTar, Mega Venu, and can be used for hax in general), but it can be also be used for solid team support if Ampharos is to be used on something more... defensive. Lastly, in the previous thread, someone made a mention of a fully specially defensive set. The calcs they'd provided showed a very large difference in defensive capability (doing things like taking LO Lando's EPand OHKOing back with HP Ice), and for that reason, I think that it deserves a fairly modest mention in OO with the label "Sacrifices a lot of power, but tanks 'X', 'Y', 'Z', etc much better", or something along those lines.

I'm not QC, but I've used this thing more than enough for my word to be valid (also, those who I practice with can attest to the effectiveness and downsides of Discharge and Volt Switch, respectively).
Thanks.

I've implemented these changes and now am ready for QC input.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Memento Latios not Latias. also mention scarfers as checks and counters since every scarfer at the moment can outspeed and OHKO with EQ and it requires to boost twice. slash Thunder on the agility set too
Unless Subject18's opinion has changed, I'd recommend doing this. Of course, change OO to reflect Thunder being slashed instead of being an OO.

Sorry for getting this so late. There are somethings that I would like to have changed before this progresses.

The RestTalk set's EVs are pretty outdated. Being able to 2HKO 252/0 Hippowdon is cool and all, but how many of those are currently running around at the moment? Most Hippowdons running mixed bulk to handle things like Aegislash and others so the 44+ SpA won't achieve the 2HKO. At this point in time, running more bulk to handle Thundurus, Zard Y and Aegislash. I ran some calcs and I think a spread of 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef with a Calm Nature would be better, with this spread you can't be 2HKO'd by LO Thundurus, Modest Zard Y and LO Aegislash. The 28 SpA EVs is basically just leftover EVs that I just threw in there cuz I already hit a point where the extra bulk wasn't changing much.

Otherwise, I dont really think there is much else to change. I dont have any opinions on Discharge, maybe Dice or CrashinBoomBang prefer one over the other. Ask them.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
One more thing: you should never have 4 EV's in HP unless you're going for a Leftovers number, which Ampharos can't have. Just look at Subject 18's tip here. I would move the 4 EV's to Special Defense. I know it doesn't come in to play that often, but it is theoretically ideal.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Sorry for getting this so late. There are somethings that I would like to have changed before this progresses.

The RestTalk set's EVs are pretty outdated. Being able to 2HKO 252/0 Hippowdon is cool and all, but how many of those are currently running around at the moment? Most Hippowdons running mixed bulk to handle things like Aegislash and others so the 44+ SpA won't achieve the 2HKO. At this point in time, running more bulk to handle Thundurus, Zard Y and Aegislash. I ran some calcs and I think a spread of 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef with a Calm Nature would be better, with this spread you can't be 2HKO'd by LO Thundurus, Modest Zard Y and LO Aegislash. The 28 SpA EVs is basically just leftover EVs that I just threw in there cuz I already hit a point where the extra bulk wasn't changing much.

Otherwise, I dont really think there is much else to change. I dont have any opinions on Discharge, maybe Dice or CrashinBoomBang prefer one over the other. Ask them.
Alright, I did that. I'm ready for more QC input :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)