[AMA] Cherub Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask me about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask me about my personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take me a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: Cherub Agent

Areas of Expertise: Neverused, Rarelyused, Overused

Background: When I first joined this site, for a year I mostly just lurked and posted here and there in Rate My Team. My account enjoyed very large periods of inactivity, but I first started making an effort to contribute to the site in the summer of '11. I started off in Underused C&C, and proceeded to drop down the tiers to Rarelyused and Neverused. After about seven analyses I was awarded the Pre-Contributor badge, and that stimulated me to interact on a more personal level with the other members of this site. I started frequenting the metagame forums of the tiers I wrote analyses for, and this led me to IRC, which is and remains the basis of all my good friendships on Smogon, all the while still contributing to C&C. After seventeen analyses I received the Contributor badge, churned out a couple more analyses, and shortly after took a prolonged LoA, in which my badge was alumned. I haven't really contributed to C&C much afterwards, unless it was to share a set here and there that I found out worked really well. When I came back I threw myself into the RU and NU communities, and my forum posts were of good enough quality to be awarded the Community Contributor badge. Having achieved that, I noticed that I really cared a lot about these two tiers, and decided to try and shape them the way I wanted to play them. This was done through the process of Suspect Testing and voting on these suspect Pokemon (twice in OU, once in Ubers, once in NU and once in RU, as even though the latter two are and remain my favourites, OU still appeals to me from time to time, and probably has higher level play on the ladder than the lower ones. Ubers was because it was for Sleep Clause, which was just fun to ladder with). Since then I've bought Pokemon Y, am very excited about the new generation, and have started cartridge breeding, trading and battling. I'm just as new as you are to the new generation, but with a lot of experience behind me, I'm fairly confident in my ability to help guide you through it at the same time as me.

Hobbies: I really love to listen to music and sing karaoke (older stuff, not the empty shelled songs you hear in the charts nowadays). I do keep up with them though lol, as not ALL new music is bad. I love to go drinking and clubbing with my friends, and I've started playing American Football at university. I'm currently studying Japanese and Economics in Trier, Germany, and must say I'm really enjoying it. Reading is also a big passion of mine. I love languages, and speak fluent German and Italian as well as English (obviously). IRC and Smogon are obviously big hobbies of mine as well :)

Favorite Pokemon: Absol

Good Questions to Ask Me: I'm very happy to help with users aspiring to be a part of C&C, as well as answering any specific questions you may have about RU and NU. I'm also an adept Teambuilder, so you can come to me if you need help perfecting your team, although I discourage asking me to start one from scratch for you, as otherwise you're less likely to learn. Speaking of which, although I don't post much in RMT, I've lurked there long enough so that I definetly know my way around all Singles tiers excluding Little Cup, so if in addition to specific questions about RU and NU you need some more general help in Ubers, OU and UU I'm sure I'll have some advice for you. Also, and I consider this important if you want to become part of the Smogon community, don't hesitate to just ask me about IRL things. Making friends here that go beyond just Pokemon is really worth it. Due to my linguistic capabilities, I'm more than happy to help new German and Italian users overcome the language barrier and intorduce you to how our site is run. I'm looking forward to the questions! Lastly, to the users that have known me for longer, I don't mind if you treat this thread as a well, as they tend to be pretty entertaining, and there's no harm in some fun. It'd be cool if you could put them in hide tags so its easier to differentiate.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why are you so handsome?
Where do you buy these scarfs?
What's the ratio of Bailey and Coffee that you prefer?

Why are you so handsome?
Where do you buy these scarfs?
What's the ratio of Bailey and Coffee that you prefer?
because inner beauty radiates outwards. im also german

THE scarf in question is a football scarf, Fc Fortuna Düsseldorf :) others are gifts and from H&M

i drink my baileys pure, with ice cubes if i have any at hand

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What specifically attracted you to playing the lower tiers after giving OU a go?
Which tier would you recommend to a new user looking into playing competitive Pokémon?

What's the gayest thing you own

What specifically attracted you to playing the lower tiers after giving OU a go?
Which tier would you recommend to a new user looking into playing competitive Pokémon?

What's the gayest thing you own
I was attracted to the lower tiers because during dpp i exclusively played ou and uu. I also noticed this gen that they have most of my favourite pokemon. Lastly, the smaller communities makes it easier to fit in and make friends, not to mention the incredibly amusing irc channels #rarelyused and #neverused

This may seem a bit contradictory, but the general lower quality of the ru and nu ladders would initially make me shy away from telling new players to start off there. Its harder to win battles on the ou ladder, and so you can pick up winning strategies with more efficiency. This may not be so bad now though with a lot of the less good players now playing xy instead of the gen5 lower tiers, so it cant hurt to try them out. If you do decide to start off with my favourite tiers id be happy to guide you

I thought long and hard but you already know: the bright red oval cherry condom

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's your favorite team that you've ever used, why was it your favorite?
What's your favorite x/y mon so far, why?
Is there any specific reason why you play RU and NU often, play OU occasionally, but don't seem to ever touch UU?
If you could switch lives with any smogon user who would you choose and why?
Trop is a faget y/n

What's your favorite team that you've ever used, why was it your favorite?
What's your favorite x/y mon so far, why?
Is there any specific reason why you play RU and NU often, play OU occasionally, but don't seem to ever touch UU?
If you could switch lives with any smogon user who would you choose and why?
Trop is a faget y/n
Uff, I've built sooo many teams in my time here, and am rather fond of my RU flower power team that focuses on Grass Gem Lilligant. That's probably the team I built myself that I'm most happy with, but as for sheer fun factor and nigh flawless synergy, I'm going to have to go with Lavos Spawn's OU sun team when genesect was still around. i know that genesect was broken, but it was still my favourite ou meta to play for some reason, and using drought was way cooler than rain or sand since you couldn't just go on autopilot, you had to work for a win. i really love this style of play where you need to predict your opponent consistently (especially with stuff like Xatu on the team), it feels like a more deserved win than just spamming rain hydro pumps and hurricanes all the time. so yeah sun is my favourite ou playstyle, and lavos's team was my favourite sun team i ever used.

Definetly Tyrantrum. I was a huge dinosaur nut when I was a kid (ok confession time, I still love watching documentaries on dinosaurs, as they're the most magnificent beasts this planet has ever seen). I was terrified in Gen4 when they showed Rampardos and Bastiodon, as everyone knows of the T-Rex/Triceratops relationship and I was sure that Rampardos would pass as Pokemons T-Rex, especially when I read in the pokedex description that it was a hunter, when in fact the pachycephalosaurus was a herbivore. i was sure they'd botched it up. when tyrantrum was first shown in was ecstatic, as it's everything i wanted from a t-rex. my ingame one also had an adamant nature on the first try, so i was extremely chuffed. rock head head smash also looks REALLY fun when its eventually released, and it also amuses me how trollfreak didnt give tyRANTRUM outrage.

i'm not really sure why that is... i dont dislike UU or anything per se, and in fact i think im quite good at laddering on it (when ss234 gives me his teams) but i've never really felt at home with/integrated into the UU community, and that sort of kept me at bay from the tier itself. which is weird now that i think about it, as recently ive gotten on quite happily with big uu players psychotic, ace and koko, but w/e. mabye in XY!

i dont know him that well, but hugendugen seems to have a pretty cool life. afaik hes lived in australia, the states and denmark, all places ive really wanted to visit myself. while im also definetly a globetrotter myself, i havent been to the places he has, and have mainly remained stuck to europe, while hugen has flitted from continent to continent

he hangs around you a lot so id assume most of your (BAN ME PLEASE)ry would rub off on him :>

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is your favorite frog pokemon and why?

Do you watch Buffy? Angel?

is it too early to listen to christmas music?

What is your favorite frog pokemon and why?

Do you watch Buffy? Angel?

is it too early to listen to christmas music?
my favouite frogmon is actually probably frogadier. i like the superior look on his face, plus he actually looks the most froglike. the bubble scarf is also a very nice touch

im a huge fan of buffy, but i never got into angel

if you're jolly, or need to become jolly, then sure :)

MFK: FireMage, me, jrp
in that order, but damn that was hard

why would you let your contributor badge get alumned when it'd look so aesthetically pleasing w/tc+cc?

what are your thoughts on pokemon: Flabébé? more specifically, do you think there were cuter pokemon introduced in xy, and if so, why are you wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
why would you let your contributor badge get alumned when it'd look so aesthetically pleasing w/tc+cc?

what are your thoughts on pokemon: Flabébé? more specifically, do you think there were cuter pokemon introduced in xy, and if so, why are you wrong?

i far prefer the three different colors as opposed to double blue and green. i generally find alumnus badges to be more aesthetically pleasing as well

Flabébé is very cute, its evolutions are not. from a pure, objective point of view, i can sympathize with you considering flabebe to be the cutest XY mon, but more subjectively, i find "rascally" Pokemon to be the epitome of cuteness. so im gonna have to go with amaura, as it huge eyes hide a mischievous glint.

Last edited:

ss234

bop.
thoughts on user: atomicllamas?
what will your first act as a moderator be?
is it nice in germany? Are there a lot of annoying germans like on smogon?
who would win in a fight irl: soulgazer or ebeast?
am I the best yn
what are your top 3 artists ever?
favourite new xy mon(hint: zygarde)?

thoughts on user: atomicllamas?
what will your first act as a moderator be?
is it nice in germany? Are there a lot of annoying germans like on smogon?
who would win in a fight irl: soulgazer or ebeast?
am I the best yn
what are your top 3 artists ever?
favourite new xy mon(hint: zygarde)?
Llamas is a hot-headed chill guy. Good player as well

Germany is really fun, but student life anywhere is probably fun. I live in the city center so its like five minutes to get anywhere cool, and my flatmates are good people as well. If there's something that truly ticks me off about this country though its the GEMA censoring everything on youtube :(

Not annoying, in fact im pleasantly surprised im sharing most of mt courses with three vgc players, including multiple time german national champion! Its cool to have irl people to bounce mon ideas off, although theyre all doubles players and im a singles player so we clash a lot. (Also über geeks unlike my charming self)

Soulgazer would pull some french canadian move and leave ebeast helpless.

Definetly one of the best :]

Salvador Dalí, Raphaello and Franz Stück

Sorry man its tyrantrum but zygarde is cool too :[

Last edited:
haggis or sauerkraut?
action or reflection?
girls or women?
competition or cooperation?
sky or sea?

play nice or play rough?
steadfast or adaptability?
me first or after you?
hasty or relaxed?
moo moo milk or lemonade?

Last edited:
haggis or sauerkraut?
action or reflection?
girls or women?
competition or cooperation?
sky or sea?

play nice or play rough?
steadfast or adaptability?
me first or after you?
hasty or relaxed?
moo moo milk or lemonade?
oh i knew if you posted here you'd give me a fun one :)

- even the first one is tough... i do like to go out and DO stuff but im often also a quiet person that likes to have alone time and reflect upon stuff, so gonna go with reflection.
- i've always preferred female companions slightly older than me, and now im at the age where its safe to say that those are all women.
- i much prefer working with people than on my own and against others, so easily cooperation
- both are beautiful, but i feel one can enjoy the sea more than the sky

- im a pretty gentle person, and will avoid a fight whenever i can. play nice
- i dont consider myself pig-headed, and will always listen to and consider the opinions of others. ive had to learn to be adaptable in my life for various reasons, so this is an easy one
- after you, me first is pretty rude in social situations :/
- definetly relaxed to the point of laziness. i cant be hasty because when presented with multiple options i really like to take my time to consider them all!
- milk is probably my favourite thing to drink :)

limi come to trier please

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi cherub.
Are you concerned that grass gem Lilligant may not be a thing in gen 6 (no gems)?

How do you feel about being regarded as one of NU's most attractive members (if not the most attractive)?

Do you like being known for you collection of scarfs, or do you find people talk about it to much?

Is choice scarf your favorite item?

Why is Level 51's question so amusing to me?

Why won't SS234 stop bullying me on IRC?

My Avatar is pro af, yn?

Which Absol set is your favorite in RU?

Hi cherub.
Are you concerned that grass gem Lilligant may not be a thing in gen 6 (no gems)?

How do you feel about being regarded as one of NU's most attractive members (if not the most attractive)?

Do you like being known for you collection of scarfs, or do you find people talk about it to much?

Is choice scarf your favorite item?

Why is Level 51's question so amusing to me?

Why won't SS234 stop bullying me on IRC?

My Avatar is pro af, yn?

Which Absol set is your favorite in RU?

lol its sad, but im more concerned about the fact that it didnt become grass/fairy. whimsicott did! anyway i suspect that gems will become available via DLC, but with normal gem now only boosting to 1.3 times the power, grass gem lilli wouldnt be strong enough anyway :(

that's very flattering, but ive heard rumors that flcl looks like someone from an anime and that zeb is darkly handsome in a rugged manly way. youre not exactly bad yourself!

i dont really mind. i mean sure id rather be known as a good battler, but hey, there are worse things being known for ones fashion sense!

it is actually. the sheer utility it offers a team is incredible, and i find it to be more effective at stopping an opposing sweep than any wall.

lol, its amusing to me too

he's probably jealous of you man, hang in there!

lol i only really noticed it now, but i must say, thats one quality avatar. soulgazer was nearly in tears the last time someone used him for an avatar, so you'd best be careful!

Absol @ Life Orb
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit / Night Slash

aurora

GODQUAZA
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is your avatar Cartman from South Park in an attempt to communicate your morbid obesity to Smogon?

ok just to clarify i dont want any more utterly pointless questions in my AMA (sorry level but you made me realize this). its meant to be a resource for new users, above all. personal questions about me are fine, but not stuff like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a slurpuff. thats just trolling, and this isnt the forum for that. id avoid doing this in the other ones as well

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How did you start getting involved in Smogon and how did you pick the areas that you decide to be involved in? What were the difficulties you faced trying to fit in and how were they solved? :)

How did you start getting involved in Smogon and how did you pick the areas that you decide to be involved in? What were the difficulties you faced trying to fit in and how were they solved? :)
the main difficulties i faced were making the transition from gamefaqs to smogon. this was back in the old days when there was no "edit" option on gamefaqs, so i accumulated multiple infractions for flooding lol. i then got infracted by haunter because i kept making new RMTs and pretty much "just didnt get it" in his words, and that got me banned lol. bans lasted around 3 months then i think, and during that time i kind of forgot about smogon. this was all during dpp. i then returned to smogon during the time when bw uu had jus formed, and i then started with c&c. from there its basically been a smoothe ride :) basically even if you start out real bad, there's always the ability to change for the better, and perhaps some day end up as perfect as me!

Where does smogon need help coding, if at all?
If they need help with something not named java, who can teach me the language?
If you dont know can you direct me to somebody who does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)