Altaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting this, because i am experienting this and having hilarous results with it. It needs lots of support and time to setup, though, but if you manage get it to work, its monster. Let me introduce...

Power Swap Mega Altaria.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 172 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Power Swap
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

God, this thing is just awesome. Even with this tiny sp atk investment, Draco Meteor still OHKOs most Dragons and deals about 50% to non bulky kanga. Well, Sp Atk drop forces you to switch out, right? Nope! Thats the main point of Power Swap, second move: it cripples special attackers by moving Altaria's SpAtk drop to opponent. Not just that they are likely forced to switch, but you can use Draco Meteor without lowered sp atk again. If you have lost lots of HP, Roost is used to heal yourself, and then keep using Draco Meteor + Power Swap combo to cripple special attackers. Power Swap, however, does other nice things, too. Altaria can also absorb Intimidates and then pass them to opponent, giving it ability to cripple also (sometimes) Physical attackers. It also can wait that someone uses Snarl enough until it passes the Sp Atk decrease got via Snarl. And Hyper Voice, ofc, is still strong and good Fairy type spread move thanks to Pixilate.

Pretty defensive EV spread, but its worth it actually. 236 HP / 172 Def makes it able to survive always Adamant LO Bisharp Iron Head. 60 Spe EVs allows it outspeed 4 Speed Rotoms. 36 Sp atk EVs increases power and 4 evs to sp def to not waste EVs.

This set needs lot of support, though. Tailwind makes it very effective, but Altaria really doesnt have room for it, so i recommend teammember to do it. Sky Drop, Fake Out, Spore, and redirection are all great tools to support this Altaria.

Its bit gimmicky, but i totally recommend trying it. Its pretty darn fun to use.

Last edited:
I'm glad you found a spread you like! Draco Meteor was definitely mentioned in the other options because of it's incredibly powerful. However, the -2 drop was no fun to deal with. This set reminds me a lot of an old NU Altaria I used to run in B/W1 NU. As I remember though, the Hyper Voice was switched with Fire Blast, and it had more SpDef for the metagame it was in. It's nostalgic to see Power Swap back. This thread may have been trying to argue Altaria's viableness in the meta, but we also forget that this game is for fun. This set looks really fun to use, and pretty nice! I think I'll give it a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)