Alolan Grimer, Muk Discussion

Regular Muk didn't get anything new I pressume... This thing is so much better with the additional STAB and it has less weaknesses.

Alolan Muk also loses resistances, don't forget. It'll take more damage from the Fairy types it's meant to check. I don't see what more this will offer as a Psychic killer that other 'mons don't already do though tbh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, isn't this a f*** you to Passimian. Oh, and yes, its stats are the same as their normal versions (don't fix what isn't broke?). Because of that I think we can just go to moves.

Pretty much the newest moves it got was biting moves and some Dark-type moves like Knock Off (and Pursuit through Egg Moves). Though I'm surprised they didn't give it any slashing moves despite having psuedo claws now.

The most interesting this is Power of Alchemy. Like with Passimian, go look through the list of Abilities and see what Abilities you think would work well with it via self empowering or providing support.

I think Alolan-Muk can be quite useful.

For example I've thought about a Rain/Electric team which look like : Tapu Koko/A-Raichu/Pelipper/M-Swampert/Rotom-W/A-Muk.

In that team, whatever the talent he copies, it's actually good, and the team isn't made with A-Muk in the center at all, it's just a good addition.

He can compensate his only weakness with Levitation, or it becomes a rain/electric setter, or it doubles his speed. Its typing is awesome, and it's good by himself anyway with its good movepool and base stats.

He can run a set like :
A-Muk @ Assault Vest
Gunk Shot
Knock Off
Pursuit
Shadow Sneak

I think Alolan-Muk can be quite useful.

For example I've thought about a Rain/Electric team which look like : Tapu Koko/A-Raichu/Pelipper/M-Swampert/Rotom-W/A-Muk.

In that team, whatever the talent he copies, it's actually good, and the team isn't made with A-Muk in the center at all, it's just a good addition.

He can compensate his only weakness with Levitation, or it becomes a rain/electric setter, or it doubles his speed. Its typing is awesome, and it's good by himself anyway with its good movepool and base stats.

He can run a set like :
A-Muk @ Assault Vest
Gunk Shot
Knock Off
Pursuit
Shadow Sneak
You could replace Pursuit with Clear Smog just to clear away any stat boosters.

Indeed that's a possibility.
Anyway I like how A-Muk could be used as a spare wheel on very specific teams.

Waiting for confirmation from someone that Power of Alchemy works in singles. If it works, pairing A-Muk with Shedinja wont even be "gimmick", it'll just work incredibly well. Your only bet to counter this strategy will be burn and roar/whrilwind.

Waiting for confirmation from someone that Power of Alchemy works in singles. If it works, pairing A-Muk with Shedinja wont even be "gimmick", it'll just work incredibly well. Your only bet to counter this strategy will be burn and roar/whrilwind.
Receiver cannot copy Wonder Guard, so I guess Power of Alchemy cannot copy it too. :(

I'm wondering how poison fangs would interact with poison touch. Would it be two separate 50% chances to poison?
As has been mentioned, Poison Fang badly poisons the target, making it a separate effect from what Poison Touch provides, meaning that it still has a 50% chance to badly poison, while also having a 30% chance to inflict regular poison, meaning a secondary effect will occur 4 out 5 times.

As for how Poison Touch interacts with contact moves that can already inflict poison, so Poison Jab in this case, it stacks accordingly. Poison Jab already has a 30% chance to poison, so the with Poison Touch that becomes 51%.

Last edited:
Let's see some that A-Muk could inherit with Power of Alchemy:

- Levitate (no weaknesses!)

- Any ability that grants a immunity/resist to something (Flash Fire, Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, Thick Fat and such... Flash Fire means immunity to burn)

- Prankster (priority Curse, Rest and Sleep Talk for this set alone)

- Magic Bounce (another very good tool for Curse sets)

- Fur Coat (yes, HUGE physical bulk)

- Sheer Force/Analytic/Tough Claws/Parental Bond/Adaptability/Guts/Protean and others (Extremely strong attacks, very good for a Assault Vest set)

- Speed boost (just because)

- Galvanize/Pixelate/Aerilate/Refrigerate (good and strong coverage moves, especially Refrigerate that beats ground types)

- Hydration (instant recovery under rain, and Muk learns Rain Dance)

- Tinted Lens (who gives a damn about resists?)

That's not to say Wonder Guard, but i really doubt it can get this one.

Yup, the possibilities are huge. Can be a very good poke.

Really, Power of Alchemy doesn't work in Singles ?
My hype is gone. :'(

Do you have any proof of that, tho ?

This seems like a guy loaded with potential but unable to realize much of it right now.

Power of Alchemy doesn't work under singles.
Pursuit, Shadow Sneak and Clear Smog are all illegal egg moves until the bank opens.
I'll mess around with one for 11 levels to unlock the dex entry but otherwise I'm not revisiting Muk until the new year.

So looking at this things stats and abilities, I wonder if a rock polish set with liechi berry and Gluttony would work in the lower tiers? It's certainly no empoleon but with plenty of setup opportunities by virtue of it's phenomenal typing, great offensive coverage which nails all except mawile, AND fellow dark/poison types for at least neutral and outspeeding base 130s with an adamant nature, it might work in RU-PU.

Muk @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot

Under the assumption that Alolan-Muk will be anywhere from the RU tier to the PU tier, this set is meant to capitalize on those particular environments. Currently, there are few pokemon who resist Alolan Muk's type coverage and any of those pokemon can be taken out easily by a ground move from another teammate (WHY U NO EARTHQUAKE??!!!!). Given the typing and amazing special bulk, I can definitely see Muk as a decent lategame cleaner. Although this is just theorymonning so take it with a grain of salt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)