Online Competition Alola Friendly [Post Your Results!]

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The rules for the Alola friendly where finally announced! https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/173540c6-ac2a-4d47-b5db-b9a2a197607e

Here are the major details to glean from this tournament.

-This is a 3v3 singles metagame

-Only Pokemon in the Alola dex are allowed

-Boxart Ubers and mythical legendaries are banned. So basically, no Lunala, Solgaleo, Zygarde, Necrozma, and Magearna this time.

-Mega Stones are banned, so no Mega Gyarados either!

-Like last time, you get 50 Battle Points for participating.

I may add stuff like a viability ranking later, but for now, let's discuss the ramifications on the stuff this metagame removes!

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So it's basically battle spot singles with a vgc17 banlist.
To make things clearer: apparently, when TPCI says legendary Pokemon, they mean the ones banned from Battle Spot, not stuff like the Tapus, which is a bit confusing. Regardless, I have updated the page.

This makes the tournament very similar to this seasons Battle Spot Singles, but the lack of Megas are gonna have an impact. This means most sweepers are gonna be stopped by Mimikyu for example, so preparing for that might be more important than usual.

Another big thing is the lack of Aegislash, which might make Mandibuzz usage calm down a bit, and might make Pheromosa and Buzzwole a lot more threatening than usual! Buzzwole is also really gonna like the lack of Mega Salamence.

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Mamoswine is going to be absent too, so we should see a lot more of A-Marowak and Porygon2 against Tapu Koko and Xurkitree, Scarf Lele is also going to hurt with Aegislash far away from it. I can't wait until this competition starts! ^__^

Also: the dates of this competition correspond to the estimated dates of the Pokémon Bank release. Do you think we can get some cool egg moves to give our Pokémon ? Unless they choose to release it in February...

Will Pokebank come before or after this competition? That could lead to new moves for pokemon, such as espeed Dragonite. Either way, looking forward as this will be my first online competition in Gen 7 and the Masters Division.
EDIT: Will this be on Showdown soon?

Last edited:
Are we 100% sure Island Scan pokemon won't be included? Battle of Alola also had a Alola-Pokemon only clause and they still got through. Hell, they wen't as far as giving out specific numbers from the pokedex so I'm skeptical.

Anyway, Mimikyu is going to reign supreme here without Lunala/Solgaleo and Mega Gyarados to keep it in check for sure.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are we 100% sure Island Scan pokemon won't be included? Battle of Alola also had a Alola-Pokemon only clause and they still got through. Hell, they wen't as far as giving out specific numbers from the pokedex so I'm skeptical.

Anyway, Mimikyu is going to reign supreme here without Lunala/Solgaleo and Mega Gyarados to keep it in check for sure.
In the Japanese website there were no pokedex number restrictions for Battle of Alola (it said pokemon obtainable in the games), whereas in Alola Friendly it's explicitly stated.

Since the Japanese information was more accurate than the English one for BoA, it's 99% certain island scan pokemon are ineligible for this competition.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are we 100% sure Island Scan pokemon won't be included? Battle of Alola also had a Alola-Pokemon only clause and they still got through.
The rules for Battle of Alola said "Only Pokémon caught or received in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon can be used" while this one specifically says "Players may use only Pokémon from the Alolan Pokédex." So I think it is very clear that Island Scan Pokemon will be banned.

If you want to know what's legal use this.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The regulations with eligible Pokemon are up: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/dl-regulation/6003
...says if you caught it in sun or moon then it is eligible.
No it doesn't.... it says "Alola Pokédex No. 001 through 301. Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and Magearna cannot be used." If you click on the "eligible Pokemon" button all the island scan mons are blanked out.

Seriously, the next person to question / bring up the ban list is getting an infraction...

So it's for BSS what VGC 2017 is for BSD. No MegaGyaras, no MegaMence, no Aegislash, less Mandibuzz...
I could easily see Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Porygon2, Mimikyu, A-Marowak and Pheromosa as top tiers.

I was hoping there would be a unique spin to this competition, though the 50 BP will have to do. I'd imagine that Game Freak wants newcomers to slowly embrace the competitive scene before they adopt a unique spin to these battles. Hopefully the next battle will add a unique twist like Gen-1 Pokemon only, including Alolan forms and Mega-Evolutions.

Theorymon

Hey everyone, the Pokemon Showdown ladder for Alola Friendly is now up! Me and Solerme have already sparred a bit on there. Can't say too much yet since its really early, but so far, I can at least say that Pheromosa and Alolan Muk seem like they got nice boosts in this metagame. The former because of the lack of Aegislash, the later because Knocking Off Eviolite is nicer than usual when you lose a major Porygon2 check (Sub Aegislash).

Any chance that Antar can give us a few stats before the end of 'training' period or it's too complicated technically speaking ?

> Singles
God damn it I needed something fun that week.

Might just do it anyway for the lulz with 0% intent of winning, as I classically do. If you see me, expect retardation and free points.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hello, I plan to use this team, any suggestions or changes?

http://pastebin.com/9JvEYgT9
That's a very interesting Celesteela set you're using, but it can work. I suggest you change your item though. I know Shed Shell lets you not get trapped, but you're faster than Magnezone anyway and very few of them run Scarf, at least on the regular ladder. You could replace Shed Shell for a Firium Z, as it does a lot to it, and can get the KO on AV sets with prior damage or a boost.
252 SpA Celesteela Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magnezone: 190-224 (107.3 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (No Magnezone should run this much HP, but you get the ideia)
252 SpA Celesteela Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 126-150 (78.2 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edit: Forgot to actually put AV in the calc, I'm dumb lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)