Pokémon Alola Dugtrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then you m iss out on focus sash which dugtrio absolutely needs and a slot that can be bettered used by something not as situational.
LOL, never said it was viable. Though it looks fairly good on paper. Yeah. Sash and Band are consistently better and provide nicer benefits than Z-Sludge Wave which is a lure for killing Bulu who might become common in OU. Have to agree that other than bulu, it hits nothing notable other than Breloom who Dugtrio doesn't want to stay anyways due to priority and Tangrowth who never is OHKO'ed even if it's 252/0 sp.def.

I can't see this thing being OU but it could work in lower tiers.

Dugtrio-Alola @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Sandstorm
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Sandstorm allows it to activate Sand Force on its own, so it can be self-reliant. Z-Sandstorm gives you +1 speed in addition to setting up Sandstorm. This lets it clean up against offensive teams. Against fatter teams, you have the option to use Continental Crush instead.

I've personally been using this myself with a LO, and I dont see what people are complaining about? It doesn't get arena trap anymore, sure, but it still has the ever coveted 110 speed and Sand Force hits deceptively hard.With Gigalith also coming in as a new Sand setter, Dugtrio should find plenty of opportunities to cut loose even without t-tar and Hippowdon.

Dugtrio-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch/Pursuit

Here's the set I've been travelling around with. Pretty standard, not much need for explanation. 3/4 of Dugtrio's attacks are boosted in power when used in the sand, while the last slot is for whatever you fear most. Do you not want to let your opponent switch out, or do you want to avoid being revenge killed by scarfers? Both work well, so I suggest testing to see what fits better.

So it doesn't have an ability as amazing as Arena Trap, but I honestly feel like this thing will have a decent niche. Sand Force is actually not that bad of an ability, it's just that everything that's gotten it so far is pretty slow (except for normal Dugtrio). Just some quick notes:

-Neutral 252 Dugtrio-A, with the Sand Force boost, has the equivalent of base 150 attack under sand.
-Steel/Ground/Rock is excellent coverage
-110 base speed is not super amazing but still outspaces most of the meta, and does have Sucker Punch.

I mean I'm not saying it'll be particularly good, but like

252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Alolan Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur in Sand: 250-294 (68.6 - 80.7%)
252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Alolan Dugtrio Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W in Sand: 140-166 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Alolan Dugtrio Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T in Sand: 126-149 (33 - 39.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

Don't knock it too hard.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Before anyone else says that Alolan Dugtrio has a niche on sand:

252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 220-259 (64.5 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 242-285 (70.9 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 231-273 (67.7 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

The difference in damage output between jolly Excadrill and Sand Force Dugtrio is really marginal at best 'cause base 100 is pretty pathetic even when attacks are boosted to 1.3x their standard base power, and the worst part is that adamant Exca actively outdamages it--meaning that Excadrill just straight up outclasses it in every way possible due to hitting harder, being fatter and having 200 more points in speed to boot ((275*2)-350=200).

Before anyone else says that Alolan Dugtrio has a niche on sand:

252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 220-259 (64.5 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 242-285 (70.9 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 231-273 (67.7 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

The difference in damage output between jolly Excadrill and Sand Force Dugtrio is really marginal at best 'cause base 100 is pretty pathetic even when attacks are boosted to 1.3x their standard base power, and the worst part is that adamant Exca actively outdamages it--meaning that Excadrill just straight up outclasses it in every way possible due to hitting harder, being fatter and having 200 more points in speed to boot ((275*2)-350=200).
Im just going to pause you right there; Dont think for a second that Excadrill and Dugtrio are going to be competitng on the same team for space. No, Excadrill will be OU, as always, while Duggy here will be a sweeper in the lower tiers of Sand in UU with Gigalith. Keep this in mind for future calcs.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Im just going to pause you right there; Dont think for a second that Excadrill and Dugtrio are going to be competitng on the same team for space. No, Excadrill will be OU, as always, while Duggy here will be a sweeper in the lower tiers of Sand in UU with Gigalith. Keep this in mind for future calcs.
except in the context of this forum we are looking at them in ou. obviously we have no idea what UU and below will look like and that might affect it's viability, but for all intents and purposes right here and right now it is just a worse Excadrill.

Metagame players be like...

"110 Speed is pretty mediocre at best! This mon is a slow garbage!"

But still, Alolan Dugtrio seems to be worse than Dugtrio mainly due to the lack of Arena Trap. Sand Force is good but just on Sandstorm, while Tangled Hair is bad for a very frail pokemon as this (even when gaining a defensive Type such as Steel) unless you want to trigger it as a suicidal lead for something. The only positive thing that differs in the Alolan Form is that it gets a secondary STAB.

Other than that, ...you get a fancy hair.

Last edited:
Hey it can still trap with Sand Tomb!

Nahh what am I saying. Literally no reason to run this mon over the regular or Excadrill as a sand sweeper in OU It doesn't even make good use of Tangling Hair without good bulk. I guess the only redeeming quality it has is it might be a good lower tier mon with decent speed and pair well with Gigalith if that is Giga doesn't get bumped up all the way to OU (highly doubt that though) and meme material.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of success recently with the following set on Alolan Dug. By success, I mean this set has legitimately won me three games in a row in [Gen 7] OU by way of KOing an average of three of my opponent's pokemon, subsequently causing them to rage quit.

MAYBE IT'S MAYBELLINE
Dugtrio-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tangling Hair
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Nothing too flashy here, just a simple yet effective mon that seems to work perfectly in the metagame that's currently developing with SM. Went with Adamant bc Sash, plus the power makes it able to 2HKO mostly everything it faces. Sash also provides a great way to surprise opponents and the potential to make a slightly faster opponent slower to then finish them off next turn, or just conveniently cripple a mon in general.

Great coverage on the moves, most notably Iron Head and Earthquake for increasingly prevalent Fairies and Electrics. Sucker Punch proves excellent for finishing off mons and (somewhat) dealing with Ghosts, while Stone Edge is there for extra coverage.

I figure the Tangled Hair ability is for allowing it to win 2HKO wars against certian faster pokemon. Quite situational, but sort of valid.

I'll admit that during story mode they survived my moves considerably better than i thought they would, but then again, I didn't nature reset or ev train my story mode pokemon.

A-Dugtrio is criminally outclassed by its regular form thanks to the brokeness of Arena Trap. This means that A-Dugtrio has no chance of being usable over its counterpart, if it remains OU with the Atk buff (+20 atk) it receveid.

Its "best" ability (=the least worse one) is Sand Force or Sand Veil, if you think that Pokemon is a luck-based game. Tangling Hair is worthless on a pokemon with such meager bulk.

Even in UU, it has to compete with i.e. A-Sandslash which has better stats and better typing, with plenty possibilities of set-up.

===> useless in OU.

While it's definitely weaker than it's alternate form in Pokebank, I've had a lot of success with it in pre-bank OU. Dugtrio is good for more than just Arena Trap, and the Steel type both adds to it's defensive abilities and to it's ability to counter the ever-present Fairy types in this meta.

Pity that Tangling Hair on a Dugtrio, who rarely gets hit by contact moves, is practically wasted. The only time it's actually activated so far was when an enemy Alakazam traced it.

Alola Dugtrio doesn't even get Stealth Rock, it's... pretty underwhelming. As far as Tangled Hair goes, the only gimmick that comes to mind is Endure + Reversal + Tangled Hair. Endure to reduce the foe's speed with Tangled Hair, blast them with a maximum Reversal the next. Any priority or burns knock that right out of the park but as a silver lining, it can't become poisoned or thunder-waved! Both status afflictions would be just as detrimental.

Here's my set on this one-trick pony:

Dugtrio-Alola @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch / Iron Head
- Endure
- Reversal

Seems foolish to invest in defense or not reduce the IV's when using Reversal, but Ground/Steel provides some good resistances. Might as well try to use them rather than having to bank on Endure constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)