Almost Any Ability Creative/Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This set is kinda silly, but I think it can put in work. It actually came out of my attempt to somehow make Psyduck work for the Kektus challenge, and even Psyduck manages to put in work with it. I've also seen it mentioned in the 1v1 thread, but I now know that it can be used in AAA.

Gallade OR Golduck OR Gardevoir @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet / Leppa Berry / Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Disable
- Encore
- Taunt/Toxic

Protect lets you scout and lets the opponent pick a move. Depending on the move, you either Disable it and then Encore it, or just use Encore. Taunt is to stop utility moves like Stealth Rock, Heal Bell, phazing, etc. and patches up holes in the set's checking capabilities, while Toxic lets it not die to Struggle from attack-boosted opponents, should it choose to stay in on them, as with Taunt your only way to get damage in is to force Struggle.

This set reliably checks:
  • Non-priority setup -- either encore the setup move directly, or Disable their attack and then Encore that.
  • Choiced Pokemon -- Disable, Toxic the switch-in.
  • Some walls, depending on whether they have more than one way to fuck with the set and whether you have Taunt or Toxic.
  • Anything until you reveal its set
This set has trouble with:
  • Magic Bounce, which renders it basically useless.
  • Anything that deals too much damage with Struggle if you're running Taunt.
  • Things it can't damage with Toxic if you're running Toxic.
  • Faster priority, which gets a hit in on it before it can move. Note that it is faster than most birds, with the exception of invested Staraptor.
  • Mons that can hit it for solid damage with more than one move, which can use one move against your Protect, then another predicting your Disable.
  • Utility 'mons, which can do what they need to do and get the hell out if you're not running Taunt, or which have multiple options for dealing with you.
  • Taunt, if they somehow manage to get one off on you.
This set is best supported by:
  • Hazards. It causes so many switches that it's basically mandatory to capitalize on them to make this set worth using.
  • Hazard removal, if you want this to have the longevity it needs to check things at any stage of the game.
This set is best used to support offense, as its ability to force out 'mons that have set up (be they Crocune or Gyarados) is greatly appreciated, its ability to force out a wall might give a teammate a chance to set up, and the Magic Bouncers it can't get through have a wasted ability slot against attackers. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure stall is gonna need all six slots to make sure shit gets walled.

I don't know what the best item for the set is. Leftovers for passive recovery against scratch damage? Rocky Helmet to deal more passive damage and kill quicker with Struggle? Leppa Berry because Encore only has 8 PP (yes, this has been a problem)? Focus Sash to give it one guaranteed-switch in before hazards? I'm just not sure, and I think it depends on what exactly you expect it to do for your team.

EDIT: Gallade takes less damage from Stealth Rock and learns Taunt, while Golduck is slightly faster and has more physical bulk to take Struggles, while Gardevoir learns Taunt and can switch in on its Dragon immunity sometimes. It's up to you. The only reason to run Alakazam -- its higher Speed -- is overridden by its pitiful Physical bulk, which means it can't take Struggle from the things it's supposed to check anyways.

Last edited:

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
This is a stupid set I run in low ladder AAA sometimes

Garchomp @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Endure
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

WP DL Chomp, this set is mostly for scouting out ice type moves, and Pokemon that don't have any priority moves. Running this cancerous set has benefits, but needs some team support mostly Pokemon that counter weather and lunar dance/wish support, because endure leaves it with a huge thorn in its side, having it with one hp allows it it be demolished by anything with priority. Other than the large need for wish support and hazard control, this set works well in AAA. It isn't rendered useless when you've used endure. It's actually more useful, allowing you to scout moves like extreme speed and quick attack and gale wings bb and allowing you to send out a Pokemon to take the hit than heal chomp. It's one of my best team members, and it takes down a lot of the normal sets in AAA.

Hi there! I hope this thread isn't dead... I thought up this set recently, and I thought it'd be pretty fun to try. I haven't tested it, but here goes!

Bronzong@Assault Vest/Choice Band/Scarf/Specs/Lagging Tail/Iron Ball/Toxic or Flame Orb/ Any item without a competitive use
Ability: Klutz
252 HP/252 Def or SpDef/4 Atk
IVs: 0 Spd and SpA if you want.
-Trick
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Zen Headbutt

Use to shut down all of your pet peeves. Just equip whatever negative effect item would annoy them most and switch them. Set up Stealth Rocks and use some physical moves because you have nothing better to do at that point. Pretty gimmicky, but it destroys Skarmory and everything it stands for, as well as Birdspam.

First post woot!

Last edited:

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Creative as f right? Well even though it might be the standard specs jolteon it is actually something that you probably haven't seen on the aaa ladder before. It makes use of it's blazing fast speed to outspeed and KO the two most widely used motor drive/volt absorb mons- manaphy and gyarados. This also takes care of any random volt absorb skarmories and what not. The main reason i used jolteon is because it's speed allows it to outspeed +1 Adamant Gyarados, which is huge as it lets jolt be a nice little safety net when your opp has a gyarados/metagross mega both of which are terrifying sweepers.

inb4 Sheer Force (Gengar) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Normalize
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Perish Song / Taunt
- Shadow Ball / Sludge Wave / Taunt

This isn't incredibly creative but I think it's better than most normalize gengar sets I usually see on the ladder or even in tours.
More often than not when a gengar runs normalize it will try to skill swap straight away. And that's usually quite ineffective since you can just switch out and back into your counter (switching on a non sheer force gengar is A LOT easyer).
This one is different since it actually traps the opponent. Say you send gengar on something that obviouslty doesn't want to be in front of it (Slurpuff for example). Use mean lock on the incoming goodra / chansey or whatever the opp uses to counter sf gengar switchin. Skill swap them normalize, use perish song and switch out on a normal resist / ghost type on the last turn (or stay in if you're an idiot).

This thing is in my opinion a great lure set and can possibly pave the way for something that has similar counters to gengar like sheer force landorus.
It's also quite fearsome for stallteams since he can just trap and kill every mon 1 by 1 (suicune / goodra / chansey / cress you name it)

Taunt it an option so that skarmory doesn't ww you but is inferior to shadow ball or perish song. Since perish song actually kills stuff and shadow ball is essential if you don't want to be dead weight against offense.

Edit: nearly forgot to mention I didn't think of this set, I saw Light on PS using it and thought it was cool.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Normalize
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

After posting a shitty joke set (see second post), I decided to redeem myself with this. Gengar can easily stop sweepers like unaware suicune, and basically wrecks any slower mon than it, easily forcing out and subbing on mons like bisharp. SF gengar is quite popular so you can simply skill swap on the switch in then sub/fire off a free shadow ball. Not gonna put in calcs because it hits just as hard as normal gengar, but puts in a lot of work and can easily steal momentum and screw up stall teams. Skill swap also beats poison heal mons, as skill swapping them after 3 turns of being in makes them take toxic damage as if they had been in for 3 turns. Does get walled by chansey and bulletproof things that resist sludge wave if they switch back in, but so does SF Gar.
;;;

This is probably my favorite set to use in AAA. I've brought it up in the viability rankings thread before, but I figure I might as well put it here also.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Knock Off
-Mach Punch

This is a set I'm quite fond of. It's really good at countering most walls. It can switch in on them and force them to switch out because of Magic Bounce, which allows it to basically set up a free Substitute. It can do the same thing against leads, as well. And even against some offensive Pokémon, it can take a hit or two and still set up a Sub. Mach Punch is there to finish off Pokémon that survive Focus Punch, and Knock Off hits Ghost types and Psychic types super-effectively. The two big disadvantages of this set is that Fairy types can pretty easily defeat it and that it is weak to Flying, which is pretty big with Gale Wings being so common.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since this thread was bumped, I'll post a set I've used on a team I built a while ago. I like using creative or unusual things in AAA, since you have so much freedom to invent thing. This set was actually just dumped on my team for hazard removal, and I had no idea what ability I wanted on it. I didn't need Sap Sipper or Volt Absorb per se, due to my team (which was pretty bad, but what do I expect when building around Choice Band Togekiss). Anyway, this ability seemed like a really annoying one, so I felt it'd be cool to use it just to increase my odds.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Well, this is Serene Grace Starmie. If you've ever been annoyed at either Serene Grace Body Slam or Scald, just imagine a combination of the two. With the burn chance of Scald now being 60%, they're spread semireliably through the opponents team. That's pretty much the only special thing about the set, but I haven't seen it yet, so I figured it was good to post for a change of pace. The rest of the set is just bulky Starmie (I have no idea what the best EVs are, these are just the suggestions) with Thunderbolt so it can beat Water-types more easily. Thunder could be used for a 60% chance on paralysis, but I don't think the accuracy drop is worth it. Finally, it hates Poison Heal Pokemon, especially Snorlax. Although they can't switch in if the Orb hasn't been activated yet, they'll wall this to death and set up easily otherwise. Make sure you have a good counter (or use Skill Swap)

Another annoying way of using Serene Grace could be a really fast Pokemon with Headbutt or Iron Head and Toxic Spikes / Will o Wisp support. This way they take a lot of residual damage, but I don't know what would be best for this. Ferrothorn and Shaymin can pull off sets with Leech Seed and Iron Head / Air Slash respectively. Ferrothorn will need Thunder Wave to be able to outspeed stuff though.

Ah Mew, you can do so much. People have already listed defensive Mew spreads, but what about offensive Mew?

Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

Mew does face stiff competition from Gengar and Thundurus, which are both faster and more powerful. However, Mew has a much broader movepool than both of them and is a fair bit bulkier too. Nasty Plot patches up Mew's average attack, taking it up to an excellent 598. Psychic gets STAB and a Sheer Force boost. Dark Pulse hits opposing Psychic types super effectively. Focus Blast hits the Dark and Steel types that resist Psychic super effectively. After a Nasty Plot, absolutely nothing is safe. EVs maximise power and speed - you could also run a bulkier spread of 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe with a Modest nature to outrun 252 Jolly Tyranitar. The listed moves give Mew perfect neutral coverage, but you could run just about anything after Psychic.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 56 HP / 236 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Focus Blast
- Roost
- Substitute

A new take on SubRoost Kyurem. Ice Beam is the STAB, and with Sheer Force and STAB it hits 175 power. Earth Power and Focus Blast get extra coverage. Earth Power is usually better, but Focus Blast hits Levitate Heatran who'd otherwise wall you. Roost keeps Kyurem alive longer; Substitute lets it avoid status and Leech Seed. The EVs let Kyurem make 101 HP Subs while outrunning max speed neutral 90s. The rest is in Special Attack for more power. Sheer Force gives your moves an extra 30% power and negates Life Orb recoil, giving you a Pokémon which can both cause and take a lot of pain.

Victini @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Final Gambit/Trick
- U-turn

This little cute thing is the PURE ANTI(Hentai ?)-STEEL.
Practically every team in AAA have at least one Steel-type. This is from that observation that i created this set : Victini, with its insane movepool, can do so much to steel-types.
I don't understand why this thing isn't more played, as it completely shits on every Steel-type in the AAA.

The set is pretty much self-explanatory, but i'll get you a little description.
- V-Create hits like a truck all Steel-types bar Flash Fire.
- Bolt Strike can hit the likes of Flash Fire Skarmory. Fusion Bolt can be used if you fear the misses.
- Final Gambit is here to deal with Flash Fire Ferrothorn and Flash Fire Magnezone, as it completely counters that set, as they take practically no damage from Bolt Strike.
- Trick(only for Choiced sets obviously) allows Victini to trap foes in one move. Not much to say i guess.
- U-Turn allows Victini to switch with some free damage, and it's always a great move to have anyways

For that kind of set i found Adamant much better than Jolly, because of the priority spam who doesn't care about your speed ; but still Jolly Nature is better for outrunning other 100-base speed mons.

(As i'm french, i may have mistaken some words or things like that, so don't blame me for that plz)

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Focus Blast / Surf
- Roost

With Primordial Sea, you can spam perfectly accurate STAB Hurricanes. Thunder wrecks Skarmory and Unaware Suicune. Focus Blast hits Ferrothorn and Heatran hard; Surf gets a pseudo STAB in the rain, while retaining coverage on Heatran and 2HKOing physically defensive Doublade. Roost restores lost HP, letting you wallbreak throughout the match.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Focus Blast / Surf
- Roost

With Primordial Sea, you can spam perfectly accurate STAB Hurricanes. Thunder wrecks Skarmory and Unaware Suicune. Focus Blast hits Ferrothorn and Heatran hard; Surf gets a pseudo STAB in the rain, while retaining coverage on Heatran and 2HKOing physically defensive Doublade. Roost restores lost HP, letting you wallbreak throughout the match.
honestly, i think noguard/compoundeyes are worth a mention with this dragonite set, both have their downsides, but an accurate coverage move is ALWAYS nice to have, (with compoundeyes, all three have 91 accuracy, not the best, but worth it if you want an accurate focus blast, and fear the opponent gaining the same perfect accuracy moves. it also frees up fire blast, dragon rush(pseudo parafusionflinch ayy), or dynamic punch, which is super annoying with the 30% parafusion chance on hurricane and thunder. id imagine all three are worth a mention, but primal seas probably being the second choice over no guard since rain doesnt really help it with anything, and non regen doublade has no recovery, making fireblast/thunder easily capable of picking it off. nitegard, primordial dragon, and compoundnite all sound like interesting choices, and now im kinda curious to try out all three. primal DOES give it a niche as a check to non glaciate victini, which is pretty cool. but it also makes deso victini a hard counter to dnite(considering hurricane and thunder have 50% accuracy in sun)...making me feel like noguard is that much better imho :\ and buffing cunes chance of beating you doesnt sound that pleasant either. buuut to each their own.

You're right, I think No Guard would be better with Hurricane, Focus Blast, Thunder, Roost. Compoundeyes could work too, if you don't want to give opponent's Stone Edges perfect accuracy.

Another set I've used with good success:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Turboblaze
Timid Nature
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Taunt

Turboblaze means I can set up Stealth Rock against Magic Bounce users, and wreck Flash Fire Ferrothorn and Doublade with Fire Blast and opposing Levitate Heatran with Earth Power. It also means I can Taunt walls that run Magic Bounce. EVs simply maximise Speed and power; Air Balloon gives me a temporary immunity to Heatran's X4 weakness. You could also use a Life Orb or Leftovers instead.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been messing around with Filter/Solid Rock (depending on which is more thematically appropriate) users recently, and I deemed that the best users of the ability are Pokémon which have good bulk but crappy defensive typing. Using this information, I came up with this:

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Filter / Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 22 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute / Draco Meteor

Kyurem takes advantage of its high bulk (iirc it rivals Ferrothorn's due to its titanic HP in conjunction with good defenses) resistances to prominent types in water, grass and electric in conjunction of Filter to alleviate issues surrounding its large number of weaknesses in order to allow it to switch into and deal good damage to a number of 'mons in the metagame. The given EVs/IVs prevent max attack Doublade from 2HKOing with Iron Head after rocks, and the rest is invested into special defense to allow it to check things like Manaphy better, as well as allowing it to live one Mega Launcher Aura Sphere from timid LO Lucario from full if it absolutely has to so that it can KO back with Earth Power. Earth Power is vital to the success of this set due to its ability to hit Steel-types (namely Doublade, which this set aims to check) super effectively, and Roost allows it to heal off damage to take more hits later on in the match. Your choice of Sub v.s. Draco depends on whether you want to be able to hit dragons or if you want to be able capitalise on switches you force (although this is slightly less effective due to the loss of Pressure making it difficult for Kyu to PP stall with SubRoost). IVs equalise Gyro Ball and Iron Head's damage when used by Doublade. An alternate EV spread of max HP and defense can be used to take on Doublade more reliably at +2 at the cost of being able to take a timid LO Mega Launcher Aura Sphere from Lucario.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with Filter/Solid Rock (depending on which is more thematically appropriate) users recently, and I deemed that the best users of the ability are Pokémon which have good bulk but crappy defensive typing. Using this information, I came up with this:

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Filter / Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute / Draco Meteor

Kyurem takes advantage of its high bulk (iirc it rivals Ferrothorn's due to its titanic HP in conjunction with good defenses) resistances to prominent types in water, grass and electric in conjunction of Filter to alleviate issues surrounding its large number of weaknesses in order to allow it to switch into and deal good damage to a number of 'mons in the metagame. The given EVs prevent max attack Doublade from 2HKOing with Iron Head after rocks, and the rest is invested into special defense to allow it to check things like Manaphy better, as well as allowing it to live one Mega Launcher Aura Sphere from timid LO Lucario from full if it absolutely has to so that it can KO back with Earth Power. Earth Power is vital to the success of this set due to its ability to hit Steel-types (namely Doublade, which this set aims to check) super effectively, and Roost allows it to heal off damage to take more hits later on in the match. Your choice of Sub v.s. Draco depends on whether you want to be able to hit dragons or if you want to be able capitalise on switches you force (although this is slightly less effective due to the loss of Pressure making it difficult for Kyu to PP stall with SubRoost).
252+ Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (84 BP) vs. 248 HP / 196+ Def Filter Kyurem: 163-193 (35.9 - 42.6%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This is minimum speed Doublade and uninvested Kyurem; Iron Head is a 44.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Dropping to 22 Speed IVs means that Gyro Ball does no more damage than Iron Head. A full physically defensive set looks like this:

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 148-175 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

(You should be running 248 HP EVs for Stealth Rock and Substitute anyways, or 232 EVs if you want the most efficient Leftovers recovery while still switching better into Stealth Rock / setting up four Substitutes -- which could definitely be relevant for Subroost strategies).

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
252+ Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (84 BP) vs. 248 HP / 196+ Def Filter Kyurem: 163-193 (35.9 - 42.6%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This is minimum speed Doublade and uninvested Kyurem; Iron Head is a 44.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Dropping to 22 Speed IVs means that Gyro Ball does no more damage than Iron Head. A full physically defensive set looks like this:

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 148-175 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

(You should be running 248 HP EVs for Stealth Rock and Substitute anyways, or 232 EVs if you want the most efficient Leftovers recovery while still switching better into Stealth Rock / setting up four Substitutes -- which could definitely be relevant for Subroost strategies).
The 248 HP thing is irrelevant as its maximum HP is not divisible by 4. Additionally, having the extra 4 EVs in HP actually eliminate that 6.6% chance. With the speed thing, I am getting this: 252+ Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (53 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Filter Kyurem: 103-123 (22.6 - 27%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The 248 HP thing is irrelevant as its maximum HP is not divisible by 4.
Point taken.
Additionally, having the extra 4 EVs in HP actually eliminate that 6.6% chance.
252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 148-175 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Or, since Doublade runs Swords Dance,

+2 252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 294-348 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 294-348 (64.9 - 76.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It doesn't really matter.
With the speed thing, I am getting this: 252+ Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (53 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Filter Kyurem: 103-123 (22.6 - 27%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
That's because you're calcing Doublade with 31 Speed IVs and an Adamant Nature. Try it with Brave and 0 Speed IVs. That's your benchmark for avoiding Gyro Ball KOs; at 22 Speed IVs, it's equalized with Iron Head. For comparison: if you don't drop down to 22 Speed IVs, you need a fully physically defensive spread to avoid 2HKO after Stealth Rocks if they happen to be running Gyro Ball.

Martin

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 148-175 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Or, since Doublade runs Swords Dance,

+2 252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 294-348 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Filter Kyurem: 294-348 (64.9 - 76.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It doesn't really matter.
You aren't factoring Lefties into your calc (although I did have the numbers a little off) - 252+ Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Filter Kyurem: 154-184 (33.9 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

edit: fixed calc.

edit 2: noticed problem with old calc. no rocks, fixed and it makes sense now
That's because you're calcing Doublade with 31 Speed IVs and an Adamant Nature. Try it with Brave and 0 Speed IVs. That's your benchmark for avoiding Gyro Ball KOs; at 22 Speed IVs, it's equalized with Iron Head. For comparison: if you don't drop down to 22 Speed IVs, you need a fully physically defensive spread to avoid 2HKO after Stealth Rocks if they happen to be running Gyro Ball.
Point taken. I see where I went wrong. Updating now.

Last edited:

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast

The power that this Hydreigon has is absolutely frightening. Being both stronger and faster than Lucario, this thing can inflict SERIOUS damage to all that try to oppose you. To give you an idea as to just how powerful this is, here are some calcs.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 217-256 (56.2 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 282-333 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Hydreigon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 189-223 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 116-138 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

The last 2 moves here are just for coverage against Fairy-Types and Pokémon that might survive a Dark Pulse and/or Dragon Pulse.

I know I'm making a double-post, but this set is so effective that it actually surprises me!

Poliwrath @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch

Who knew Poliwrath would be AMAZING with Unburden? It has no problem at all finding an opportunity to use Belly Drum thanks to its stellar 90/95/90 defenses as well as its typing. Its typing will force some common Pokémon out of the battle like Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Chansey / Blissey Excadrill and Scizor. Once it uses Belly Drum, go to town and unleash your new-found power! After using Belly Drum, Poliwrath achieves a staggering 1268 Attack and a blazing 478 Speed in addition to its amazing bulk! Almost NOTHING can outpace it by this point and almost NOTHING can survive its attack. Unless you have Unaware or Gale Wings on your team, you will remember the day you got owned by a Poliwrath for the rest of your life.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gastro Acid
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Okay, so right off the bat this set is designed to take an incredibly obscure Pokemon and make it an anti-meta machine. This is mostly caused by Gastro Acid, nullifying the opponents ability and ruining most strategies. Sap sipper is used to give Seismitoad no weaknesses and leftovers give it more longevity. The 200 in hp and 56 attack allows it to tank things such as a reuniclus psyshock (0 SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Seismitoad: 133-157 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO) a sheer force gengar shadow ball (252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 261-308 (65 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and almost every other non-boosted threat in the meta game (this thing can take a sheer force latios draco meteor, its really quite bulky). And then:
252+ Atk Seismitoad Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Reuniclus: 170-202 (40 - 47.6%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Seismitoad Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 282-334 (108.8 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The reason for being physical is because of its naturally higher attack stat, and though it lacks a water STAB its coverage makes up for it. Gastro Acid can really turn the tide in a battle, nullifying a poison heal or levitate. It also has a huge suprise factor, and with sap sipper it can't be seeded. But obviously it has flaws, mainly burns, but try it out and see if you like it.

The thread owner's (probably permanently) inactive so posting in this is pretty much pointless; I guess the thread should be locked. You guys can post sets you think are cool in the AAA thread itself (preferrably when there's no suspects or w/e going on).

Nitpicking in the last 3 sets: Hydreigon is solid. Very powerful and all that but it's speed really hurts it in most cases. Definitely the best of the last 3 suggested. Darmanitan basically outclasses Wrath as a bellydrum unburden mon, both have the same problems but darmanitan has a really cool base 140 Attack and a much better speed tier to abuse the unburden boost with. Seismitoad is a really meh mon, it's not bad but it really is not great. Idk about other people but I'd never use a grass move on Seismitoad/Swampert and with no real recovery and not being particularly bulky it'll just end up being whittled down. So, not bulky, not really strong, doesn't provide a lot of support and is essentially a really mediocre pivot. Wouldn't say it's really worth using over anything else.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Ok today i saw my friend Black Schatten and saw him use meleotta in ru and i saw it has serene grace which doubles the chances of secondary effects of the moves and suddenly i thought "Hey,Why don't i use a Sheer Force meleotta?"(But after some test and advice adaptability was better) And thus it was created

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball/Psyshock

At first glance, melloetta appears underwhelming.It has a middling speed tier, weak special attack, and mediocre typing.However, it has a niche which sets it apart from other mons- It is the only viable normal type special attacker while it does face competition from porygon z and pyroar, the former lacks defense, and the latter an offensive presence.Hyper voice is the obligatory stab, hitting most of the meta-game for solid damage.Psychic smacks rock and ghost types who would otherwise be able to switch in.Focus blast hits steel types and gives nearly perfect coverage, only missing out on doublade and escavalier..Shadow ball, however, may be used to hit doublade.Psyshock may be used to beat chansey but the damage drop is noticable

Quantum Tesseract ty for the help

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Ok today i saw my friend Black Schatten and saw him use meleotta in ru and i saw it has serene grace which doubles the chances of secondary effects of the moves and suddenly i thought "Hey,Why don't i use a Sheer Force meleotta?"(But after some test and advice adaptability was better) And thus it was created

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball/Psyshock

At first glance, melloetta appears underwhelming.It has a middling speed tier, weak special attack, and mediocre typing.However, it has a niche which sets it apart from other mons- It is the only viable normal type special attacker while it does face competition from porygon z and pyroar, the former lacks defense, and the latter an offensive presence.Hyper voice is the obligatory stab, hitting most of the meta-game for solid damage.Psychic smacks rock and ghost types who would otherwise be able to switch in.Focus blast hits steel types and gives nearly perfect coverage, only missing out on doublade and escavalier..Shadow ball, however, may be used to hit doublade.Psyshock may be used to beat chansey but the damage drop is noticable

Quantum Tesseract ty for the help
if your not using psyshock, sheer force with relic song is generally better, as the only real difference is a slightly weaker relic song(by 17 points, a pretty decent difference but could be worth it for boosted shadow ball and focus blast) and otherwise gives you a stronger focus blast and shadow ball to abuse.

also 80 is pretty negligable to 90 if psyshock hits most stuff psychic does on their (more then likely) weaker stat like goodra and chansey. id say psyshock>psychic in almost every way. if you plan to use adapt, use psyshock. you dont hit anything relevant that warrants using psychic. doublade still walls, chansey still walls, goodra still walls. at least with psyshock most psychic type walls tend to fear it. when i am using stall and see psychic meloetta, i just laugh and send in goodra/chansey...when i see psyshock, i feel pressure. just saying.

if your not using psyshock, sheer force with relic song is generally better, as the only real difference is a slightly weaker relic song(by 17 points, a pretty decent difference but could be worth it for boosted shadow ball and focus blast) and otherwise gives you a stronger focus blast and shadow ball to abuse.

also 80 is pretty negligable to 90 if psyshock hits most stuff psychic does on their (more then likely) weaker stat like goodra and chansey. id say psyshock>psychic in almost every way. if you plan to use adapt, use psyshock. you dont hit anything relevant that warrants using psychic. doublade still walls, chansey still walls, goodra still walls. at least with psyshock most psychic type walls tend to fear it. when i am using stall and see psychic meloetta, i just laugh and send in goodra/chansey...when i see psyshock, i feel pressure. just saying.
I had suggested to run adapt mainly because of psyshock > psychic for goodra / chansey o pretty much most special walls.
Sheer force could be an option to hit suicune more effectively with tbolt / energy ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)