Metagame All Terrain

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
My only question is, what happens with Nature Power? Is it just random?

Also Electric is super relevant with EQ gone and Boosted Stab. If you have coverage against Grass, you have potential.

Actually, Dazzling Gleam Xurkitree is an option now, 120 BP on a coverage is nice.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Also Electric is super relevant with EQ gone and Boosted Stab. If you have coverage against Grass, you have potential.

Actually, Dazzling Gleam Xurkitree is an option now, 120 BP on a coverage is nice.
When you use Nature Power you get a message that says something along the line of "Nature Power is banned", because Nature Power is banned.

Also Fairy isn't boosted, Energy Ball Xurk sounds fun tho.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Nature Power (and secret power) all have different effects in different terrains. It seems a bit complex and borked to use an attack that is a Moonblast, Thunderbolt, Psychic and Energy Ball all at once. Also Misty Terrain doesn't boost Fairy attacks, it weakens Dragon ones.

Alola Raichu. It was banned because of the strain it would cause on teambuilding. It outclasses EVERY other Electric type with Surge Surfer and Dual STAB being boosted. Offence which is the prominent playstyle would have no means of stopping it, as it outspeeds everything and anything, immune to priority AND has powerful dual STAB. It can even run through bulkier builds with NP sets. Every team would need to slap on two Electric checks + a Dark type JUST for it alone. Ground types don't like boosted Grass Knots / Hidden Power Ice and Dark types hate Focus Blast. I could only see AV Alolan Muk as the only surefire counter, and its not hard to wear down.

Edit: 252+ SpA Raichu-Alola Stoked Sparksurfer vs. +1 252 HP / 16 SpD Muk-Alola in Electric Terrain: 249-294 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

(249, 252, 255, 258, 261, 264, 267, 270, 273, 276, 279, 282, 285, 288, 291

Check. Alolan Muk is a giod Check. +1 and Black Sludge is to represent AV and Grassy terrain while having Electric Terrain in calc.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I knew there was a reason Misty Terrain sucked in comparison to the others

Either way, KantoGutor seems like a nice Sun Sweeper. Boosts both Stabs and apreciate no statuses, while also resisting all of the Terrain types. Not only that but can use LO safely without having to worry about HP loss.

A mon I feel like it's being overlooked is Hoppa-U. With it's insane offensive stats and usable speed, you can sweep with ease. Like 90% of the Psychic Types, it gets Energy Ball and Thunderbolt as coverage. Get a mon that can pass speed onto it and try running a set like NP/Psyshock/Dark Pulse/Either TBolt or Energy Ball.

Well, that was only theorymonning tho. Might not have a good execution. Also short cause I'm on mobile

Could this be the time where Telekinesis finally becomes relevant? Not only will it make the opponent unmissable and immune to ground, but it also:
-reduces the power of their Electric, Grass, and Psychic attacks
-removes their resistance to Dragon
-removes their passive healing
-removes their immunity to priority and status

Additionally, many of the Pokemon who can learn Telekinesis are Psychic types, who appreciate their STAB being boosted, as well as the immunity to Sucker Punch.

Finally, as the inverse of lifting the opponent up, are their any Flying/Levitate mons who might want to run Gravity or Iron Ball to ground themselves?

G-Luke

Could this be the time where Telekinesis finally becomes relevant? Not only will it make the opponent unmissable and immune to ground, but it also:
-reduces the power of their Electric, Grass, and Psychic attacks
-removes their resistance to Dragon
-removes their passive healing
-removes their immunity to priority and status

Additionally, many of the Pokemon who can learn Telekinesis are Psychic types, who appreciate their STAB being boosted, as well as the immunity to Sucker Punch.

Finally, as the inverse of lifting the opponent up, are their any Flying/Levitate mons who might want to run Gravity or Iron Ball to ground themselves?
Iron Ball also halves speed, and in an offensive metagame like this, the speed drop is not worth the terrain benefits, especially since no viable Flyer would benefit from the boosts.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
GOGOAT

THE GOAT THAT GOES

Grass Pelt gives a 1.5x boost to the user's Defense in Grassy Terrain, and Gogoat gets this, so maybe it's worth something here

edit: fuck I can't reading comprehension

Last edited:
Mega Alakazam seems like a giant threat actually. No priority to worry about and boosted Psychic attacks let it do a ton of damage. It gets Energy Ball too if you're into that. Pheromosa is as threatening as ever but it's harder to switch in on now. it can also revenge kill alolan raichu

As for Grass types, Kartana and Serperior stick out to me. Serperior seems capable of obliterating slower teams and with SubSeed+Grassy Terrain it can literally stall indefinitely, although it struggles to wear anything down, because Leftovers and Grassy terrain offset the Leech Seed damage. Really just spamming Leaf Storm is enough to break everything. Meanwhile Kartana can spam Leaf Blade and deal a lot of damage.

Mega Alakazam seems like a giant threat actually. No priority to worry about and boosted Psychic attacks let it do a ton of damage. It gets Energy Ball too if you're into that. Pheromosa is as threatening as ever but it's harder to switch in on now. it can also revenge kill alolan raichu

As for Grass types, Kartana and Serperior stick out to me. Serperior seems capable of obliterating slower teams and with SubSeed+Grassy Terrain it can literally stall indefinitely, although it struggles to wear anything down, because Leftovers and Grassy terrain offset the Leech Seed damage. Really just spamming Leaf Storm is enough to break everything. Meanwhile Kartana can spam Leaf Blade and deal a lot of damage.
I can't imagine Leech Seed Serperior being a good pick when every team is gonna have a Grass-type, possibly of the bulky or faster-than-Serperior variety. I would sooner run Z- Hyper Beam than devote the lures necessary to give SubSeed an opening -- I'm on mobile but I think +2 Breakneck Blitz should nuke Mega Venusaur and the like.

Mega Alakazam will, naturally, fuck shit up. It needs Mega Sableye gone and its team needs a Pheromosa switch-in. That's about it; the only real problems are the lack of defensive utility and the opportunity cost of not using Mega Metagross.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I can't imagine Leech Seed Serperior being a good pick when every team is gonna have a Grass-type, possibly of the bulky or faster-than-Serperior variety. I would sooner run Z- Hyper Beam than devote the lures necessary to give SubSeed an opening -- I'm on mobile but I think +2 Breakneck Blitz should nuke Mega Venusaur and the like.

Mega Alakazam will, naturally, fuck shit up. It needs Mega Sableye gone and its team needs a Pheromosa switch-in. That's about it; the only real problems are the lack of defensive utility and the opportunity cost of not using Mega Metagross.
There are four Grass-types that are faster than Serperior; two are banned, one is Whimsicott, the other is Sceptile. In the "faster than" category, there's a total of one potentially more viable Pokemon than Serperior (Sceptile). The only difference is even though Sceptile's movepool is more broad, it doesn't get Contrary to boost its Special Attack to monstrous levels. Bulk-wise, and I'm including Pokemon that are bulkier in ALL ways (higher HP, Defense, AND Special Defense), there's Celebi, Cradily, Meganium, Mega Venusaur, and Shaymin. While Celebi and Shaymin might be used, and there's no doubt that Mega Venusaur is a good Pokemon, I just don't see a bulky Grass-type that's weak to anything that Mega Alakazam (or even just regular Alakazam) has to offer being very useful in this metagame. So naturally, the options that one has over Serperior are quite limited, and I'm not seeing your reasoning as to why using SubSeed Serperior wouldn't be good. Sure, there are bulkier Grass-types, but they're all a lot more threatened by offensive threats.

There are four Grass-types that are faster than Serperior; two are banned, one is Whimsicott, the other is Sceptile. In the "faster than" category, there's a total of one potentially more viable Pokemon than Serperior (Sceptile). The only difference is even though Sceptile's movepool is more broad, it doesn't get Contrary to boost its Special Attack to monstrous levels. Bulk-wise, and I'm including Pokemon that are bulkier in ALL ways (higher HP, Defense, AND Special Defense), there's Celebi, Cradily, Meganium, Mega Venusaur, and Shaymin. While Celebi and Shaymin might be used, and there's no doubt that Mega Venusaur is a good Pokemon, I just don't see a bulky Grass-type that's weak to anything that Mega Alakazam (or even just regular Alakazam) has to offer being very useful in this metagame. So naturally, the options that one has over Serperior are quite limited, and I'm not seeing your reasoning as to why using SubSeed Serperior wouldn't be good. Sure, there are bulkier Grass-types, but they're all a lot more threatened by offensive threats.
Okay, so I was on mobile and couldn't easily check to see which Grass-types, exactly, were faster than Serperior. Whatever.

I'm including Pokemon that are bulkier in ALL ways (higher HP, Defense, AND Special Defense)
Those are arbitrary criteria. How about "takes two Leaf Storms starting from +0"? I see Celebi, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, Shaymin, Amoonguss, Grass-Silvally, Roserade, all having at least niche viability (and a few look like viable 'slap this on ur team to answer Grass-types' mons), and several fully capable of running a Choice Scarf if they want to outspeed Serperior.

I don't know why Alakazam is the benchmark for bulky Grass-types in this meta. Grass-types have never been answers to Zam, and Alakazam's viability has never invalidated bulky Grass-types. Most teams do, in fact, have room for several slots that do not check [insert huge metagame threat here].

Serperior will be good here, I just think Breakneck Blitz will give it a better shot as a setup sweeper than Leech Seed will.

An Evoboost team could be a niche yet powerful option. With no priority to worry about, whatever gets passed too can do a fair bit to most things that don't wall them. However, Eevee's frailty, especially in a meta where Grass, Psychic and Electric all get 1.5x damage, could cause some issues.

Edit: My bad, forgot about the Baton Pass clause

An Evoboost team could be a niche yet powerful option. With no priority to worry about, whatever gets passed too can do a fair bit to most things that don't wall them. However, Eevee's frailty, especially in a meta where Grass, Psychic and Electric all get 1.5x damage, could cause some issues.
Luckily, since OU clauses includes baton pass clause, evoboost likely won't see too much popularity as the boosts would only be able to apply to eevee

Last edited:

G-Luke

While everyone loves running grounded superthreats like Mega Metagross and Pheromosa, I'd like to highlight some of the other more ignored sleeper threats, great options and anti meta gems. I'd like to talk about about non-grounded mons. While they do not benefit from the terrains, they still have an impact on the metagame.

Landorus is an option banned in standard play due to its overbearing power over stall and offence alike. But in All Terrain, the power level around Landorus has risen considerably, and mons are generally harder to kill with Grassy Terrain granting free leftovers, and thus was allowed back in play. Landorus is an incredible asset to have as it is several roles compressed into one: Electric immunity and check, Steel type check and Wallbreaker. Landorus has several options, as a mixed attacker, a CM sweeper, Rock Polish and AoA. It has a good speed tier, allowing it to scrap pass the 100 speed stat benchmark. Its incredible power thanks to its ability Sheer Force and its numerous coverage options allow it hit most mons in the tier for super effective damage.

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature / Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Grass Knot / Rock Slide
- Focus Blast / Rock Polish / Calm Mind / Knock Off

Rotom-Heat's typing gives it several unique and useful resistances that make it quite the anti meta threat. Grass, Steel and Electric type resistances and good bulk allow it to pivot into many threats and check them with its powerful Overheat, or pivot with Volt Switch. It can also serve as an emergency Mega Metagross check. While it doesnt get the boost from Electric Terrain, it can easily team up with an Electric type partner to form typespam cores to overwelm the opponent. While not as important, Levitate can be useful to ignore random Hidden Power Grounds that might be thrown around at Electric types.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Trick

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpA
Ability: Levitate
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Mandibuzz's immunity to Psychic type attacks and resistance to Grass types give it an interesting niche as a defensive option. While its weakness to Electric type attacks can prove detrimental, its still a good physical wall. Knock Off and Foul Play give it good damage and utility options respectively. Roost gives it recovery options, Defog allows it to be a surefire hazard remover for defensive and balanced teams and Whirlwind prevents mons from setting up on them.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Ability: Overcoat
Impish Nature
- Foul Play / Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind / U-Turn

Bronzong's typing allows it to be a solid defensive threat in All Terrain. It walls the heck out of so much popular threats in the metagame its not funny, and can set Stealth Rocks consistently throughout the match. Its special defensive sets check most threatening special attackers rather easily and its physically defensive set tanks most physical threats like a champ.

G-Luke

Quick Bump

----------------------

Much has happened since the 27th of February. Pheromosa, a defining threat in the metagame as been shipped off to Ubers, many strategies have since fallen in favour and the release of several Mega Evolutions (Mega Medicham in particular) has caused quite a stir in this dormant metagame.

What do you think has changed with the departure of Pheromosa?

How important are the new Megas in this new metagame?

Most importantly, is Mega Medicham broken as hell?

Wouldn't Incineroar be a minor threat due to its immunity to Psychic, resistance to grass and it still getting the terrain boosts and not being weak to electric like Mandibuzz?

Also OOF DEAD THREAD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)