ORAS PU A Tale of Monkeys and Pancakes

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
ORAS PU A Tale!!!.png Our tale begins! Once upon a time, a person by the name of BrandonBeast decided to return to the now-official tier of ORAS PU, and took a look at the Viability Rankings of that said tier. He was surprised at many things, but most surprised that the pokemon Vigoroth was S rank. Intrigued, BrandonBeast asked the Pokemon Showdown! PU room for how Vigoroth was good and what it's sets were, and was given good advice! Driven with new ideas, he decided to create a team - a team of brave heroes and even a small knight, driven by their creator to defend his realm of ladder score! This team has been crafted fiercely in the realms of the Teambuilder, helped out with the the help of the PU Room, and tested out in ladder with good results! Here are the members of said team:

BulkMonkey (Vigoroth) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
0 Happiness
- Bulk Up
- Frustration
- Substitute
- Slack Off

Here is the crux of the operation, the leader of the pack, BulkMonkey the Vigoroth. BulkMonkey watched as his tribe of monkeys got destroyed by evil Regigias, and he never was truly happy again. His quest is to set up Bulk Ups with his bulk and recovery and kill everything, usually in the late game. Substitute is to allow BulkMonkey to avoid status, including the potent Toxic, which can ruin his crusade. But BulkMonkey sadly cannot fight all on his own, he needs a few peers to help him...

ShankMeista (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance / Pursuit
This is BulkMonkey's best friend from childhood, ShankMeista the Pawniard. Growing up in the bad part of the forest, ShankMeista has grown up to be a bloody good assasin, and has helped BulkMonkey in his fights as well, helping against pesky Ghost and Psychic types, while also hurting Fairy types with his Iron Head. ShankMeista has also learned the Dance of Swords, increasing his Attack so he can hit harder or even sweep an opposing team, while he can also stop Ghosts from switching out with Pursuit. Now, as you can see, this duo has a weakness to the common Fighting type, and that is where our porky fello right here comes in...

WizPig (Grumpig) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
WizPig was the joker of the childhood trio, always spouting out zingers and using his psychic powers to prank people. However, as savage meat-eaters killed his parents and savagely cooked them for their purple bacon, WizPig became more sealed in and sensitive. But as he fights the war with his friends, he still happens to be the funny little porker he was when he was younger. He fights Fighting types and Poison types, and uses his coverage in Focus Blast and Shadow Ball to kill Steel and Psychic types, respectively. He even knows how to use yellow magic, which can help turn a fight around for his friends and for WizPig. Colbur Berry helps for checking Fighting types even more and helps him even take some STAB Dark attacks! Thick Fat ensures that he can fight Fire and Ice types, so his bacon cannot be cooked like his parents....

God Monkey Jr. (Monferno) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Slack Off
God Monkey Jr. is BulkMonkey's cousin from the Fire Lands. He is the son of God Monkey the Infernape, protector of the Fire Lands, therefore God Monkey Jr. wants to be just like his father. He uses his Fire and Fighting STABs to kill Rock, Steel, Grass, and even Dark types, while having Slack Off as a recovery tool, although he usually wants to punch and Blitz into people's faces, just like his father...

Weezel (Floatzel) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Switcheroo / Focus Blast
Weezel is the loose screw, the crazy guy. He's a weasel who likes to wear glasses that make him super-powerful, and he's speedy too. He loves to clean up the field late-game with his powerful attacks and high speed, or give his crazy glasses to a wall or a tank to neuter them. He is a glass cannon, though, so look out for powerful attacks too!

And now, presenting the final member of this team! The brave warrior known as!!!!

Reject (Stunfisk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Do not laugh at this warrior! This is Reject the Stunfisk, one of the bravest warriors of our fine group! He's even Bold Nature dudes. But enough jokes, let's get to Reject's story. Reject is sort of a nerd, with weird antics and habits that make him unpopular in the Pokemon world, shunned and disrepected. Reject, filled with the ragiest of rage, turned to our fine group of heroes for emotional support, and they accepted him. Now, Reject fights for our group of heroes, dispatching Electric types and Fire types as well, as well as being a great wall and providing the supportiest of support in the Pokemon universe: the feared Stealth Rock. Reject is happy now, this is his true home.

Now that I have covered the group of heroes, it is time to see what may threaten our fine friends:

Adolf Fucking Haxxy Hitler AKA Regigigas: The leader of the enemy's military, Regigigas is the group's greatest enemy, having killed BulkMonkey's tribe and his military killing many other Pokemon as well. His unique strategy in being a bitch with TWave and Sub until his Slow Start wears off is annoying and effective sometimes, as Regi's bulk helps him greatly with this strategy. But if you can get a Close Combat or other attacks in before he sets up, you'll be fine.

Roselia: Not exactly a threat threat, but Toxic Spikes screws this group up badly, so watch out.

Jumpluff: Sleep Powder and if you can't stop it, it's basically over. This cotton has a bone to pick with the group I tell you. (Get it, cotton picker? No, that's bad D:)

Arbok: This slippery snake can set up Coils and threaten our fine group of heroes with Gunk Shot or Earthquake. Stunfisk is like the only realiable answer here, and even then it's just a bit shaky.

Murkrow: LO set can hurt the team with it's power, but Krow's frailty is it's downfall.
BulkMonkey (Vigoroth) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Substitute
- Frustration

ShankMeista (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

WizPig (Grumpig) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball

God Monkey Jr (Monferno) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Slack Off

Weezel (Floatzel) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Focus Blast

Reject (Stunfisk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

And that is the end of the tour of this grand group of heroes who fight for their right to be Pokemon! As you use this team, stand tall as you fight the evil pokemon led by Regigigas!!! But, now, that is all to be said. Our tale of monkeys and pancakes has ended, for now, but the legacy will be kept on... stay strong, heroes..., stay strong!

- BrandonBeast, November 21 2015

Credits to PU Room for help making this team, thanks guys

1 like = 1 piece of purple bacon

Last edited:
Hey BrandonBeast, cool team here. I've just got some suggestions to help better the team overall. For the record, I'm rating this as if Throh is in the tier. Also the descriptions might seem funny and all, but I recommend you make emphasis on why the Pokemon was added to your team so raters know if they should make certain changes or not.

The first thing right off the bat that I notice with this team is that it's extremely weak to Fighting-types, even with Colbur Grumpig. After it's been knocked off once and with some prior damage, grumpig is really no longer a switchin, and Throh has the ability to beat every other Pokemon on the team. Water-types like Choice Specs Floatzel and Ground-types such as Golem also give you some big problems, so to combat these three weaknesses, I'm going to recommend you change Colbur Berry Grumpig --> Colbur Berry Exeggutor. While this doesn't give you the best switch-in to Floatzel, it can more consistenly check Ground-types, and mainly Fighting-types such as Throh.

If you're going to use Vigoroth, I think hazard control is pretty necessary to keep it alive long enough to consistently set up, so I'm going to recommend you change Floatzel --> Swanna, which can Defog and somewhat fill a similar role as a special wallbreaker. Afterwards, in order to keep decent Speed control, I recommend you then change Eviolite Monferno --> Choice Scarf Monferno, which will give you a solid revenge killer. The bulk from Eviolite really isn't necessary, as you don't have much trouble with Pokemon such as Pawniard in the first place.

As for EV spreads, I would change Vigoroth's spread from 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe --> 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe, which will allow you to outspeed and set up on Stoutland, a pretty big threat to your team.

tl;dr

Exeggutor @ Colbur Berry | Harvest
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Modest
Leaf Storm / Psychic or Psyshock / Ancient Power / Synthesis

Swanna @ Life Orb | Hydration
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Hurricane / Scald / Roost / Defog

Monferno @ Choice Scarf | Iron Fist
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
U-Turn / Close Combat / Flare Blitz / Thunder Punch

252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe --> 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi nice RMT, more entertaining than usual

Firstly, I think you should change your Grumpig's EV spread to Timid with 172 Speed EVs. This allows you to outspeed Pawniard, Stoutland, and Monferno, the latter two being big threats to your team if stunfisk gets weakened. Next, I think you should use Signal Beam over Shadow Ball, as Colbur Exeggutor is much more threatening to your team than Metang, so having another reliable way to OHKO it could be crucial.

Next, your team has a bit of a Water weakness, as opposing Floatzel and Scarf Simipour can almost freely spam Hydro Pump. To fix this, I think you should use Roselia over Monferno. Between the rest of the team, you cover pretty much everything Monferno is used to check, however Roselia provides a crucial resistance to water. Although your team is offensive, I still think a more (speccially) defensive spread would help as having a sturdy water check is crucial in this tier. It also pressures Stunfisk with the threat of Spikes, helping Pawniard, and being able to poison Misdreavus can be crucial for Vigoroth

Lastly, you should consier Protect over Toxic on Stunfisk, as it is your primary switch in to many physical attackers, so being able to gain more lefties is greatly appreciated. This is pretty subjective, as it i know some people use Toxic more than others (i personally don't use it often so find protect much more useful).

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave / Taunt

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Stunfisk
Toxic ---> Protect

Hope I helped

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hey BrandonBeast
Cool team you have there, also nice descriptions lol.
Looking at your team, physical attackers such as Arbok, Monferno, and Murkrow clearly give you some problems, as you also stated in the threatlist. My solution to this would be to replace Pawniard with Vullaby. First of all, Vullaby provides you with Defog support, which is key seeing how your team is also pretty weak to Toxic pikes. Then, Vullaby gives you a counter to things you struggles with such as the aforementioned Monferno, Arbok, and Murkrow, by running a physically defensive spread, while still being a decent check to Psychic- and Ghost-types, like Pawniard did, so it's not even a big loss on that side. Vullaby also works as a Ground-type immunity, given you have none at the moment, and with U-Turn it can get momentum to your side, which is key when running an offensive team such as yours to give free switch-ins to Pokemon such as Monferno or Floatzel and wreck havoc. You lose a set up sweeper, but you still have Vigoroth, and honestly your team is already full of offensive powerhouses so you don't necessarily need Pawniard. Overall, Vullaby just looks like the perfect fit into your team and helps you with most of the Pokemon that give you trouble, so this will be the main change I'll suggest you.

Next, I agree with Dundies on making Monferno your revengekiller, to help Stunfisk and Vullaby dealing with things such as Regice and Normal-types such as Stoutland, and replacing Grumpig with Exeggutor. Exeggutor will give you an additional Water-type resistance, and helps Floatzel dealing with them. You don't really need a bait for opposing Pawniards, as you already have Stunfisk, Monferno, and now Vullaby too, so it just sounds very redundant to carry another answer for it, also you now have Vullaby to deal with Poison-types such as Arbok you were worried of, so yeah. Other than the set proposed by Dundies, I suggest you also trying out an Assault Vest variant, it loses out on some durability and a recovery in Synthesis, but is able to tank much better the attacks thrown at it and can still recover up some health with Giga Drain, while you also have another slot available for coverage. In the case you'll run the set proposed by Dundies, I disagree on running Colbur Berry, even if you tank a Knock Off, you can't hit Pawniard hard, and you can deal with Pawniard pretty well already, so if I were you I would just run Sitrus Berry to be more durable.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-Turn
- Foul Play

Exeggutor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Ancient Power

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)