A surprisingly serious update about my future with Smogon & Pokémon as a whole

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm just going to make this quick. This thread isn't for public posting purposes. In fact, I actually discourage that here since I don't want people suddenly bowing at in guilt like I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. Because let me assure you... I'm not. All I'm trying to say here is that I'm okay with the moderation team doing literally whatever they want to with this thread after my message goes live. The simple fact of the matter is, this is an issue that I absolutely must address for my own well-being. At least from my perspective, the reason I'm making this its own thread is simple: it's just because I don't want to stuff this in with any other threads about actual discussion topics. I speak on behalf of the moderation team when I say I wish there was a better way to show this to the community I'm most active in by a wide margin. The only one that even comes close is maybe the "Congregation of the Masses" forum all the way over in Smogoff. (Edit from when I finished typing: I think I might have forgotten to finish this sentence.) These two communities mean a lot to me and I truly appreciate your welcoming me and allowing me to stay as long as I did.

With all of this in mind, I'll be leaving my message in a reply to this one when the thread goes live. From then on, moderators, feel free to do whatever you want. Thank you all for your time. -bdt2002

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright, here's the message. Allow me to specify that I've also posted this message elsewhere, and simply copy-pasted all of it from the other location.

(The following post was originally intended as a personal profile post, but let's just say that this is very clearly longer than 420 characters. Feel free to PM me for more details. -bdt2002)

Hello, everyone. It's me again. This is my first time posting on the forums in any way since I announced my leave of absence, so to speak. It's hard to say when I'll fully be back to my usual self just yet, but I've figured for a few days now that some updates are needed.

First and foremost, I want to address why I left. The month of April was, to put it lightly, a very stressful time for me this year. During the week leading up my announcement on the 14th, I was going through what I'd best describe as "an intense mood shift where I wasn't feeling like myself". Among other issues, my grades in a particular class or two were starting to slip, and I was also starting to show signs of mild aggression towards other people. Normally, this alone would not have warranted my decision to leave these forums altogether. On paper, I could just talk about it once or twice, take a break from the Internet until I'm in a better spot, and then come back later. Things were not that straight forward, unfortunately. I needed more than just a break from everything that was going on. I also needed to isolate myself from the sources of this strange behavior. It eventually came to my attention that my increasingly sad feelings towards the Pokémon franchise were but one of the many things I was irrationally dwelling about all the time, something I've been guilty of to this day. In other words, I cut myself off of more than just these forums for a good portion of the month of April, in some cases even going as far back as the second half of March if you want took at it the way I did.

Second, I'd like to address why I'm still hesitant about coming back to this community. The issues are nothing any of you did wrong, not by any stretch of the imagination. I hate to sound so cliché at a time like this, but it really is just me this time who needs personal improvement. Ever since my later-then-usual introduction to Generation 4 in 2010, all the way back in the third grade, Pokémon has shaped my ways of thinking- and even my ways of life- in more ways than I could have ever imagined. It's been a childhood dream of mine to feel like I have my place of belonging in this fanbase. Feeling welcomed was one thing, but at the time, I wanted nothing more than for a group of people, literally anyone, to acknowledge that I could be- and was- a part of their community. Almost a dozen years have passed since then, and all I've felt in the past five years or so is the opposite feeling. Instead, I found that my interest in the series was dropping much faster than other childhood hobbies.

I'll end this post off by saying this. We're all very different people than who we choose to be online, and not a single one of us will ever achieve perfection. For a while now, I feel as if I've been trying too hard as a Pokémon fan to feel that sense of belonging I described earlier. If that's the kind of fan- let alone the kind of person- that I'm going to become in real life, I would rather not be a Pokémon fan at all. This, in turn, is why I feel more hesitant than ever before both about my time in the Smogon Forums and as a Pokémon fan in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)