A 24 hour Atlanta warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I start the day at 2am, I didn't want to wake up then but I couldn't go back to sleep, this will come back to haunt me later. So I just start the road trip then, with one of those 5 hour energy shots and the worst beef jerky I've ever had. With breakfast ruined I pick up 2 corn dogs on my gas stop. It takes me 7 hours to make it to the location. As I walk in I see a bunch of juniors and there parents leaving, saying "that was fun".

I make my way inside and see that a line for the seniors has started, it was roughly 9:30am so I just sat down at the end of the line and kept my eyes open for the tough competition. I eventually see 3 people wearing the same shirt, I soon realize they are from the Florida State Pokemon League. I introduce myself (as Team Rose, I don't remember if I said my real name), more of them showed up later. They sat behind me and I was talking to them for a while. I forgot what time it was when the line started moving, they moved the line into the next hall to clear the hall way, it was at this time that I saw how big the line really was. It was here where I met Sixonesix, he was behind the FSPL, we spoke for a while.

They started registration early so that was cool. I got a good scare when I was told my kyogres name was unacceptable. It was named Moby Dick, I still don't understand why that was offensive, but I didn't argue and changed it to Whales, lame I know but it was all I can think of on the spot. after I got registered I stood in line for the tournament to start. The staff tried to get the wave going, they did it several times before I was like "enough is enough", then a staff member threaten to shut down the tourney if we didn't do the wave. I knew he was joking but I played along anyway. Then they started pairing, much to my surprise I was one of the first battles. The MC counted down and blasted Eye of the Tiger. The tournament had begun.

http://skarmbliss.com/forum/index.php?topic=464.0
Thats my team from the RMT section, I don't feel like typing the entire team.

Round 1
I'm paired with a kid who told me this was his first major pokemon tournament. It was my second, but the first one I didn't take seriously and lost in round 1. I asked if he was on smogon or skarmbliss, first because I wanted to meet more of them, second if he wasn't I would as nervous. He was not.
Turn 1
He lead with rayquazza and tyranitar, I lead with gengar and kangaskahn. I faked out tyranitar, his rayquassa used extreme speed on kangaskahn and got a critical hit, she barely survived. Gengar used icy wind and did major damage to rayquazza and very little to tyranitar.
Turn 2
I protect with kanga, gengar does another icy wind to finish off rayquazza. His tyranitar goes for an EQ, but doesn't hit anyone. With air lock gone, gengar takes some damage from sandstorm, this breaks it sash. He sends out lucario.
Turn 3
His lucario finishes kanga with extreme speed, gengar then does destiny bond. Tyranitar crunches gengar and since the sash was broken it knocked out gengar, then DB took down tyranitar. I send out mewtwo and kyogre, he sends our feraligatr.
turn 4
Kyogre thunders feraligatr and it ko's. Mewtwo then uses aura sphere and ko's lucario
2-0

Round 2
I'm paired with a young girl. It was her first tournament too.
Turn 1
She leads with giratina-a and rayquazza, I send out my usual lead. I fake out giratina, then icy wind for major damage.
I don't remember the rest but it was an easy match.

Round 3
I'm paired with Xavier (I think thats how its spelled). For those who were there, that was the guy in the dress. I mentioned smogon and skarmbliss and he said he was gonna make an account.
I don't remember much of this match because I got really nervous, this was the first match I had real adversity. I remember blissey and metagross, I think raquazza was there too. I'm sorry feel free to fill in the blanks Xavier. The match maker is when my kyogre crited his metagross with thunder to ohko it. From there I whittled down his team to just blissey, mewtwo and kanga took her down. We shook hands and I apologized for the crit.

Round 4
My last battle before finalists lounge. I was paired with a friend of the FSPL people, I don't think he was one of them.
Turn 1
He lead with arcanine and groudon, I have my usual leads. I switch out gengar for kyogre, making it rain. Kanga fakes out groudon. Arcanine does a flare blitz on kanga, but because of the rain it did less than half.
Turn 2
I'm not too sure my memory is still fuzzy but I think he switched out groudon at some point for scizor and it took a water spout for a ohko. He got the sun back up but I soon got my rain back. Bottom line, I had a good match up and won.

I did it, I've made it to the finalists lounge. I was the 3rd person to make it this far. I went out to get something to eat and had the most expensive burger I've ever had. It was good, but not $6.50 good. While wondering I came across Xavier, I told him I made it to the finalists lounge and he was happy about that. After I finished the burger I went back to the finalists lounge, when I got back I saw Sixonesix. Before I can ask him how he did he put his hands on his forehead and had a shocked look on his face. I asked him what happened, he told me the guy who beat him just got DQed for having too many evs. We talked about it for a while then he walk off, I then went back into the finalists lounge and chillaxed for a while. During that time I saw Blades from the FSPL make it, then another FSPL member soon followed. They were then interviewed by who I think was IGN. At some point I met Mattj and Noxe, we spoke for a while then they walked off. As the prelims were winding down I met Alaka, I introduced myself and shook his hand and congratulated him on making it to finalists lounge. Soon the finals were less then 20 minutes away and the 5 hour energy shot I took on the road has worn off. I had another one in the car but I didn't think to go get it.

I was trying my best to get back in the zone but to be honest I had been up for 14 hours with only 4 hours of sleep, it was very difficult to concentrate at this point. They had 39 finalists, so 10 had to play and extra round. I was lucky enough to get a bye. We were all led to the play area and we started play. At this point I was extremely tired and couldn't focus, and therefore couldn't control my emotions, and the MC getting everyone pumped up didn't help either. This would eventually lead to my down fall.

Round of 32
I'm paired with a guy with a team magma shirt.
Turn 1
He lead with kyogre and clafable, me with my usual lead. Now for some stupid reason that I can't explain why, I think clefable will not do follow me and try to fake out kyogre, it fails miserably. I blame this on my total lack of concentration, that was just too stupid of a mistake.
It was all downhill from there, I couldn't recover from that first turn screw up. I saved the battle, I might post the number later.

So I got knocked out right before the invites were given out, I was disapointed in the way I lost but I'm still proud of how far I got. I stayed to watch the rest, and witnessed the freezing haxfest at Alakas expense. After the trophy ceramony I left to go home, yea I went straight through the entire day with no rest. On the way home I realized I had another 5 hour energy shot I could have used. I got home at 2am, making the entire experience a full 24 hours.

It was great meeting everyone I met, if I forgot you I'm sorry. I'm not gonna have the money to go to the LCQ so I'm gonna take a well deserved break from pokemon, I might just pick up mario galaxy 2 today. Good luck to all going to nationals.

Good seeing you out there. That sucks for you because Clefable isn't a commonly used follow me pokemon for some reason. I don't know why because he has great defenses and the amazing ability to poison itself and not get put to sleep. Anywho, I don't think it learns fake-out at all so there's that.

Hey man, you were a good sport, and it was fun playing you. But let the record show I was running on as little sleep, and even more travel time. Thursday night I slept probably 3 hours due to my screwed up sleep schedule plus the anxious anticipation. Team Magma drove in from Kansas City, which is 13 hours. Then, in the hotel room Friday night I slept maybe one hour, partially out of nerves but also because the air conditioner kept spamming Blizzard, which kept breaking through the Protect of my bedspread. After losing to David and watching him play his dad, we promptly drove 13 hours home.

So yeah, I hear ya on that lack of sleep thing. But please, do post the video ID. Can't wait to see the Clefable that I hatched on the way down and raised that morning do his thing! Knew he was a childhood favorite for a reason.

I'm probably going to take a bus up, but it would be nice to find someone who is staying at the same hotel to carpool to the tourney with as I won't have a car with me at the time and taxis are expensive...

[...]
Round 3
I'm paired with Xavier (I think thats how its spelled). For those who were there, that was the guy in the dress. I mentioned smogon and skarmbliss and he said he was gonna make an account.
I don't remember much of this match because I got really nervous, this was the first match I had real adversity. I remember blissey and metagross, I think raquazza was there too. I'm sorry feel free to fill in the blanks Xavier. The match maker is when my kyogre crited his metagross with thunder to ohko it. From there I whittled down his team to just blissey, mewtwo and kanga took her down. We shook hands and I apologized for the crit.[...]
Ah yes, :D Thanks for the battle! I am still glad you made it to finals!

I did not record this battle, but I remember Mewtwo and Blissey was put out first, hit some, killed Wailord(?) and then I switched Mewtwo out with Metagross, and then the OHKO happened.

I was also quite nervous myself. :) As promised, I did make my Smogon account here. Too bad someone had User: Xepher here but that's okay :)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did you mean you faked out Rayquaza in Round 2? Giratina isn't affected by Fake Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)