2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charity shield tomorrow nice warmup to the Prem and a good time to start new thread.

Liverpool are still looking bad but should manage more than the 62 points we somehow got last season.

Man U will probably do well if they keep Superman.

Man City have signed two players who aren't even good enough for their first XI.

Don't change the thread title.

Today DFL-Supercup (Bayern Munich vs. VfL Wolfsburg) and "Trophée des Champions" (Paris Saint Germain-Olympique Lione)

Arouse curiosity, what's not around high-level football but today for Irish Premier League, Limerick won vs Sligo Rovers (last vs second-last rank) 3-2.
What's interesting?

Last win before: 17.10.2014 (!) Limerick-Sligo Rovers 1-0

ss234

bop.
I'm predicting Chelsea to retain the title, Falcao could be a complete bust or could be a good deal but Chelsea still have the best starting 11 imo. Stones would be a good signing too. I'd expect City and United to be a lot closer than last season but I feel they are a lot weaker in defence than Chelsea.

As for champions league, I reckon Barcelona are in with a good shot at being the first team to retain the trophy but Real Madrid look like they could win it too if they keep Modric healthy and play Bale in a way where he'll have a much greater influence.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Well, that was just awful. Cech in an Arsenal kit, that'll take some getting used to. We never seem to win Community Shields for some reason. We really missed Costa, after all, he almost single handedly won us the title last season and we've done next to nothing in terms of transfers to make us less dependent on him. Can't believe Mou actually thinks he can fix Falcao. He's broken, like Torres. There's no fixing him.

I'm predicting Chelsea to retain the title, Falcao could be a complete bust or could be a good deal but Chelsea still have the best starting 11 imo. Stones would be a good signing too. I'd expect City and United to be a lot closer than last season but I feel they are a lot weaker in defence than Chelsea.

As for champions league, I reckon Barcelona are in with a good shot at being the first team to retain the trophy but Real Madrid look like they could win it too if they keep Modric healthy and play Bale in a way where he'll have a much greater influence.
To be honest, I really don't know about Real Madrid simply because now they have a new coach and that will take time to get things working. They are definitely a fantastic squad, but we will have to see how Rafa does in his first season as RM's coach. Bale is best on the left, but that is Ronaldo's spot unless things get changed up under Rafa.

Barcelona are definitely still gonna be a huge threat to win the CL title as they always have been, but I think we will have to see if they can maintain the same kind of play that they did on their treble run in the next season and keeping everyone healthy.

Well, that was just awful. Cech in an Arsenal kit, that'll take some getting used to. We never seem to win Community Shields for some reason. We really missed Costa, after all, he almost single handedly won us the title last season and we've done next to nothing in terms of transfers to make us less dependent on him. Can't believe Mou actually thinks he can fix Falcao. He's broken, like Torres. There's no fixing him.
Sigh, I feel ya. Bayern lost to Wolfsburg in penalties thanks to Lord Bendtner of all people with the equalizer and the winning penalty. We can't seem to win Supercups either. On another note, I am really happy with the signings that were made this season. Douglas Costa was definitely a signing I was skeptical of at first, but man he has just been tearing things up on the field since putting on the Bayern shirt and I can see him really stepping up to replace Ribery in the long term. Arturo Vidal only played like 10-15 minutes in the Supercup but he is already going for the balls-deep tackles and I think he will increase the power we have in midfield even more.

so apparantly in the next FIFA rankings.. wales will be ranked Higher then England.
such a joke, neither team even played

Quite excited for the PL this year and I still see Chelsea as the favourite team. Among the big four it still looks like the most solid one especially with Mourinho there (though Falcao arriving might hint he will care a lot more about the Champions League this year?) with Arsenal being a very close second especially if they get another striker and some backup midfielders with good defensive capabilities (what do they have there as a backup outside of the unpresentable arteta and flamini?). As for United I am not really sure of gaal's strategy that just seems to have stacked a lot of new good players with little thought especially since I think they will struggle a bit defensively with Jones being the only outstanding defender right there but I might be wrong idk. I've also heard about De Gea leaving which would be terrible to say the least :o. City just seems to have improved their strong traits even more with sterling that is probably the second best "playmaker" in the league behind Silva but their defenders are not really outstanding to me. This is a team that can either be an incredible success or just flop and arrive 4th with little in between depending on what Pellegrini does hahaha. For EL run I see Liverpool Tottenham and Southampton in order being the big favourites but I've really grown a liking on Swansea last season fsr and Everton also seems quite ambitious.

I'm really nervous about our success in the league this year. Mourinho hasn't really strengthened our squad at all (it's actually weakened since the start of last season), we have very VERY little squad depth (still a hella strong first 11), and Mourinho's lack-of-rotation-policy means that we'll suffer late-season. We got away with that last season but all of our competitors have strengthened. Only solace rn is that Oscar has gotten his first pre-season rest in years and so may be a stand-out-performer for us, but if Costa gets injured we'll suffer, if Willian/Hazard/Oscar gets injured, we'll suffer, and if we lose Terry/Cahill then we only have Zouma as a back up (I would've loved Stones but I understand why he hasn't joined us just yet).

Predicting a nervous 2-1 win vs Swansea, Mourinho will be content and after transfer window ends we'll get battered by City 3-0.

I know this is all v pessimistic but honestly I reckon Arsenal and maybe City will finish above us if we're unlucky with injuries/have longevity in the English Cups/Champions League.

Reactions: HBK

HBK

I'm really nervous about our success in the league this year. Mourinho hasn't really strengthened our squad at all (it's actually weakened since the start of last season), we have very VERY little squad depth (still a hella strong first 11), and Mourinho's lack-of-rotation-policy means that we'll suffer late-season. We got away with that last season but all of our competitors have strengthened. Only solace rn is that Oscar has gotten his first pre-season rest in years and so may be a stand-out-performer for us, but if Costa gets injured we'll suffer, if Willian/Hazard/Oscar gets injured, we'll suffer, and if we lose Terry/Cahill then we only have Zouma as a back up (I would've loved Stones but I understand why he hasn't joined us just yet).

Predicting a nervous 2-1 win vs Swansea, Mourinho will be content and after transfer window ends we'll get battered by City 3-0.

I know this is all v pessimistic but honestly I reckon Arsenal and maybe City will finish above us if we're unlucky with injuries/have longevity in the English Cups/Champions League.
Couldn't agree more, we were lucky that our competitors last season had forgotten how to defend, as that's all we really had over them. We struggled to create chances, especially when Costa wasn't on the pitch and Mourinho has done little to change that. Though it is noteworthy that Van Gaal has yet to patch up United's leaky defence and that City actually kept Pellegrini.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Great result for Leicester I have to say, although we were hugely assisted by a woeful Sunderland side. Was disappointing to have conceded 2 goals against a side that in reality offered very little, and we won't always have the opposition crumbling like we did today so that might be a concern going forward. For now I'm going to enjoy this evening while we sit at the top of the Prem and see how we develop. :toast:

Disappointed by Supercoppa Italiana since I thought Lazio could have given Juventus a little more of a headache with nothing to lose and with the latter having a lot of key pieces from the last season being gone or just disqualified. Still hoping in a tighter championship however with Inter and Milan coming in pretty strengthened (finally a convincing performance VS Bilbao today I'm surprised) that with Salah+Dzeko Roma should actually be a threat to Juventus for winning the title

Didn't get to see Chelsea VS Swansea sadly :/

Only good thing about this weekend is everybody else's fantasy teams did terribly too. My prediction of Chelsea - Man City - Arsenal - Man Utd and Barcelona for CL all came true last season so fuck it:

PL: Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool; CL: Arsenal - let's do this you absolute shitebag of a team.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
If we do that can we also go off the current top team and hand them the trophy now? :D

PL: Chelsea , United , City, Arsenal CL: Real Madrid

WBA signed Rondon, beast of a player will do well.

De Bruyne to City also looks likely at this point, £46m bid. I guess the formation will be

De Bruyne ---- Silva --- Sterling

-----------------Aguero--------------

Bony, Nasri and Navas warming the bench what a waste; Bony is a legit 20 league goal striker.

Last edited:

HBK

PL: City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal. CL: Bayern.
Deal for Baba Rahman's reportedly done, never want to see Ivanovic at RB again ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)