2013 Winter Friendly

lol 3 of the top 5 DCed on me

Got 20th with a terrible team and after a quit on the sunday, so I don't think that was too bad. Ended up quitting cause I'd started playing actually good people with extreme arceus, pretty much the only thing I couldn't beat by outplaying.

UnEVed giratina and aerial ace groudon :D

We have just wondered if we should take disconnects as a part of the gameplay mechanics.

Since they introduced the disconnection rate it has lead to various "tactical DCs". Thanks to smart DC management one can lift her or his rating and carefully while protecting their ranking against weaker player who get lucky. You have to estimate the average DC rate and then try to keep yours lower than average + 10 as well as the rate in which other player DC on you. That way you keep a bit of leeway about how far you can go without being excluded from the ranking.
Of course, it is still a dick move but it takes the "play-to-win" mentality to the upmost extreme and is legal until you have gone too far. Tournament player should win by any means, are we right?

We have just wondered if we should take disconnects as a part of the gameplay mechanics.

Since they introduced the disconnection rate it has lead to various "tactical DCs". Thanks to smart DC management one can lift her or his rating and carefully while protecting their ranking against weaker player who get lucky. You have to estimate the average DC rate and then try to keep yours lower than average + 10 as well as the rate in which other player DC on you. That way you keep a bit of leeway about how far you can go without being excluded from the ranking.
Of course, it is still a dick move but it takes the "play-to-win" mentality to the upmost extreme and is legal until you have gone too far. Tournament player should win by any means, are we right?
Play better*

Didn't qualify even tho I never ever disconnected myself. If I ever see a "strategic DCer" irl, I'll break his nose.

I defeated the second qualified, he DCed.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sorry to hear that Judejew, as well as The Agonist. I'm pleasantly surprised I did actually made the rankings, but rather mad that the overall winner disconnected on me just as I was about to win that match.

Congratulations SDS on winning this whole thing just by strategically disconnecting on me just when I was about to win, so you can at least preserve your braggish ranking. I'm sure you must be proud of your accomplishment now. Tattle Talers I know this sets a poor example for you.

I gotta say, I stopped playing on saturday to avoid getting a too high DC rating, and instead, I got DQed this time. I would say on the former one I had around the double DCers, but I played around 100 matches, so basically, playing a lot lowers your risk of getting DQed. So the winners just need to keep on playing to be able to DC safely. That's kinda paradoxic (does that word exist?).

It exist, but only in medicine. Paradoxical or just paradox is probably more common. And that is not paradox at all.

In theory, just playing and winning indeed lowers ones DC rate, but that requires the opponents not DCing on you - which is totally luck based. We have stopped at a DC rate over 1.0 (more DCs than 30 rated matches) because there is probably not much hope to get that below average anytime soon. BW2 still does not make a difference between the disconnecter and the aggrieved party, which makes Wifi-Tournaments a fountain of grievers and trolls who aren't here for the price but for ruining peoples fun by pushing ther DC rate over the limit. At least some of them have the "decency" of disconnecting before they actually battle.
We have a pretty good image of how they could solve that problem. They could implement a steady bit stream to determine which party have broken the connection. We are very disappointed at that genius that was responsible for that scewed elimination method they currently have.

46th in world, I'm okay with that I guess since the team was threw up together in few hours before the start. I had a HUGE weakness to SD Arceus and Light Screen (+ Tailwind) Lugia, I managed to beat some of them though.

I managed to place at #103, a ranking with which I'm very pleased. A lot of study went into the Ubers and Rotation metagames, as I was 100% unfamiliar but in the end - a satisfactory outcome.

I do hope that we get a resolution to this DCing problem. I would have been heartbroken had I not been ranked.

I'm am real proud of my nephew on how well he did in this tournament. For everyone who does not know My nephew Is a JR. and he placed 11th out of 2005. problem is he does not know yet on how well he did since ratings were just posted

I like how you never dc on anyone even on disconnectors. Thats great practice for an actual live event where disconnections are not permitted. But since this isn't a live event I think people who want to be on top of the tourneys leaderboards must use disconnections to stay on top. Ofcourse there is a limit to how many times you could disconnect because you don't want to get excluded from leaderboards. As soon as the tournaments results come in tell me what place you got. I am confident I will be in the top 50 because of my rating.
Ok so I came 90th then and you got DQ'd so I guess you DC'ing on that DC'er could've been the decider.

I had 192 wins and 27 loses according to nintendos rankings. My rating was 1979. I would have been in 15th place. I don't understand why they kept me out of their rankings. I kept track of my dcs. I only had 20 total with 10 not being mine. They were due to the servers.
So that means you DC'd on 10 people? That also means it's probably another 10 losses which would drop your score by around 20-30 points per loss which would be around 200-300 points, maybe less. Don't DC even 1 time. It is not befitting of a Trainer (As TPCi would say). But in hindsight I am sorry that you didn't qualify.
----------
Now onto my team......I used Mewtwo, Groudon, Reshiram, Kyogre, Thundurus-T, Giratina-O. I really liked my team because people could not see which team I was going to use as there are plenty of ways I could play.
My Mewtwo was more of a filler and I rarely used it, it had the Brightpowder which only came into play once when a Ice Beam missed it! LULZ! It's moves were Psystrike, Thunder, Shadow Ball and......SNATCH! HAHA gotta love random moves :D
My Groudon......ok I gave it the wrong item in the Choice Band :/ cost me a match or two but also did that extra amount of damage to win me a few too. It had Earthquake, Fire Punch, Stone Edge and Dragon Claw. No random moves there.
My Reshiram was my star player and I took it cause it is one of my favourite legendaries. I gave it the Haban berry and that proved to be the right choice because it survived a Draco Meteor from Kyurem-W/B with a Life Orb....to which I responded with either Dragon Pulse or Blue Flare in the Sun to OHKO. It's moves were Blue Flare, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball and Light Screen (Which saved me on a few instances).
My Kyogre was a different one to what you'd normally think as I gave it the Lum Berry to protect against Para-Hax from Thunder's and ThunderWaves as well as strategies to put it to sleep or poison it. It's moves consisted of Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Thunder and Thunder Wave (Which I used succesfully against a SDArceus).
My Thundurus was a simple Pair-With-Kyogre-Spam-Thunder-Set with the Choice Scarf which was proven to be a nice addition as I also surprised a few by using Focus Blast to OHKO stuff like T-Tar and the like. It's full move set was Thunder, Focus Blast, HP Ice and Grass Knot.
Finally my favourite legendary of all time Giratina-O which I usually slotted in third or in the back, carrying it's signature item, the Griseous Orb. It's move-set was Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Substitute and Tailwind. It was a bulky supporter and was very effective, especially against the Takes-No-Skill-To-Use-Aron-Sandstorm sets, if they switch into T-Tar then I would set the sub up or predict and KO it or if they kept it in thinking I would switch as well then I could set up the sub or switch in Reshiram to OHKO.

My thoughts of the tournament overall were that some people at the top did not deserve to be there as 1st, 2nd and 7th all DC'd on me as I was going to win. Also 77th place DC'd on me (just had a quick look at the few above me to see) so with those four wins on their own I'd say I'd get another 60-80 points which would put me in the top 50. But at the end of the day I'm not surprised I ranked in this tournament and I am overall happy in the place I came because I was not taking it seriously at all. My final comment on this is that people who didn't DC at all have my sympathies, people who DC'd on purpose even once.....you have none from me.

Congrats to Cyanide and Drcossack on your top 10 finishes.

Also...I lied, my final comment is that I am dissapointed that my unique moves and item are not on the list, especially my Snatch Mewtwo w) Bright Powder ^_^

I want to kill the person in first place.
I literally fought him 5+ times, and each time I was about to win, FRIGGING RAGEQUIT
He's the one who ragequit on me the most of everyone, and is the reason I'm not, at the very least, in the top 150. My ranking would have gone up so much if it counted!
But anyways, to anyone who fought my team of Blaziken, Dragonite, Darmanitan, Chansey, Gigalith, and Sigilyph, good game. I commend every (NOT RAGEQUITTING) competitor for a fairly good tournament when each party gave it their all. I'm just sad that half of my battles, some of which were against the top ten people, ended in ragequits, and the fact that I don't get my berry. I really hope the next one is better then this.

Nido, he said 10 were due to the servers, even tho it could be a lie.
Well he also said this:
It feels great disconnecting on the people who disconnected on you earlier >:)
And usually it's been determined that if you admit to one DC then you might have done more, either way moving on becaue I'd rather focus on the fun during the battles :) Like when I had a mirror match with someone xD That was great fun :D

Edit! Gonna compile a list of guys who did not DC when facing me for the hell of it, case-sensitive.
BRIANNA (forgot location and phrase)
Andrew (cueball, forgot location and phrase)
Oscar (forgot loc/phrase/class)
MAGIC (hiker, no location, default phrase)
PATO (forgot info)
Zack (defaults)
Gigi (forgot stuff)
Emanuel (I am invincible! Pleased to meet you.)

...k that's enough, thought I wouldn't have to list this many so quickly; I might be able to rank afterall.
..Gigi could be me, I used Durant and Jolteon ?_?
I did pretty ehh in this competition, since I kinda just threw some of my Pokemon together lol. My wins and losses were nearly tied, but I got a few more losses. I didn't use any legendary Pokemon, either, so that may have something to do with it since I battled a ton. Scarf Kyogre was a nightmare

52 - 7, with 1765 with no ranking. I didn't disconnect on people, but a lot of people disconnected on me. I think they were pissed with the make up of my team (Groudon, Zekrom, Kyurem, Mewtwo, Arceus & Ho-oh). I actually saw a trainer with the same team and file name (White) as me, and they disconnected on me.

Honestly, "strategic" use of disconnects is not a fair way of playing against people who do not disconnect because it can disqualify others.

"strategic disconnect" is just BS!
Anyone that say you that they "just" disconnect on weaker foes to save their rank is lying, if they really are "weak" opponents then you should have your win secured.

Hax is part of the game, and there are shit tons of way to avoid hax (use Surf over Hydro pump, use Thunder Wave insteed of Will-O-Wisp and the likes), if you disconnect you just are a wimpy loser.

If you don't want to need the "stategic disconnect" learn how to play and more importantly learn how to lose!

(If you are a 1900+ player that lose to a 1300- players you may just need to take a rest, turn off your DS, walk around you room, drink a glass of water and REST.)

(For god sake I lost to an annoying DynamicPunch Machamp while my pokemon killed thenself in confusion and I endured my lost)

I definitely agree... I always play till the end, no matter what. It seems really cheap to disconnect "strategically" especially considering your opponent suffers from it as well when you do (which I did not know). I lost a ton of matches, but I'd rather myself or my opponent lose honorably :P

I ended 106th in Masters (of 6939 players).
It is interesting how top Pokémon are different in each age division. Juniors/Seniors often forgot to use items and their Pokémon had random natures more often. Kyogre was not very popular in Juniors/Seniors and according to the statistics, it was used by strong players usually ("no items" is not in top 10 items etc.). Masters used more strong Pokémon from older generations (however Garchomp is still more popular then Rayquaza there).
How many percent of best players are the statistics made of? There were about half players in Masters, who played their standard teams without ubers.

wow, winter friendly is full of noobs, guess did don't follow smogon :) i guess practicing in winter friendly isnt the best idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)