2010 music

been listening to the new ghostface album for a while and it alright. ive never been a fan of his rapping style (technically impressive rapping about pretty much nothing in a kind of annoying voice), but his albums always have some pretty great beats and this is no exception. purified thoughts stands up with my favourite tracks of his including "one", but even on tracks like that i space ghostface out and just shout OOOONE on cue. i never really liked supreme clientele that much tbh.

if you like supreme clientele more than i do definitely check it out. everyone should listen to purified thoughts though, thats the kind of lush, soul-y beat blueprint era jay-z rapped over and it sounds amazing even if ghostface doesnt really have much of a persona or charisma on it.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
epica - design your universe is pretty good, it's a lot more aggressive than their previous albums even though the lyrics are pretty cringe

and i am just in love with kidneythieves - trypt0fanatic

Brothers is amazing
I liked Brothers, but IMO it wasn't as good as Thickfreakness, or Rubber Factory.

Also, thanks for telling me about The Rural Alberta Advantage, they are one of my favorite bands now. Wasn't as enthusiastic about Andrew Jackson Jihad though :/

been listening to the new ghostface album for a while and it alright. ive never been a fan of his rapping style (technically impressive rapping about pretty much nothing in a kind of annoying voice), but his albums always have some pretty great beats and this is no exception. purified thoughts stands up with my favourite tracks of his including "one", but even on tracks like that i space ghostface out and just shout OOOONE on cue. i never really liked supreme clientele that much tbh.

if you like supreme clientele more than i do definitely check it out. everyone should listen to purified thoughts though, thats the kind of lush, soul-y beat blueprint era jay-z rapped over and it sounds amazing even if ghostface doesnt really have much of a persona or charisma on it.
Ghost is one of my favorite rappers ever, not for his WTF-are-you-rapping-about tough talking tracks but his storytelling abilities. He is one of the best story tellers since Sick Rick IMO. Having said that, Apollo Kids is no Fishscale or Supreme Clientele, but it's still very good. I'd put it slightly below Ironman.

Also, thanks for telling me about The Rural Alberta Advantage, they are one of my favorite bands now. Wasn't as enthusiastic about Andrew Jackson Jihad though :/
you're welcome; I was sure you'd like The Rural Alberta Advantage. Andrew Jackson Jihad contains way more punk elements than either and I don't enjoy them as much either (but still a lot more than you apparently do >.<)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
im retroactively listening to laura marling's i speak because i can from earlier this year and its creeped into my top albums. definitely folk album of the year, her way with words and acoustic guitars appeals to the part of my brain that has an unhealthy obession with joanna newsom (and fleet foxes to a lesser degree). some of the lyrics are just amazing folk-type imagery:

"standing eye to eye, nose to nose/
ripping off each others clothes in a most peculiar way"

"my husband left me last night/
left me a poor and lonely wife/
i cooked the meals and he got the life"

anyone else listen to this?
After reading your post about her, I downloaded I Speak Because I Can. It is definitely my favorite album that I have listened to in quite a while. I love the asiatic tones that persist throughout the album (these are especially evident in Alpha Shallows). Afterwards, I went back and downloaded Alas I Cannot Swim and loved it just as much. I've been listening to the two albums on shuffle for the past few days. Thanks for bringing her up! I particularly enjoy her lyrics as you pointed out (I especially like My Maniac and I from Alas I Cannot Swim, "He wants to die in a lake in Geneva / the mountains can cover the shape of his nose, / he wants to die where nobody can see him / but his death will carry on, so I don't believe him".)

awesome :) i love being able to do that sort of thing, since alot of this thread is just us namedropping things we're listening to without making an effort to get other people interested in it.

i havent listened to alas i cannot swim, but im going to have to soon i think.

Listened to The Fall by the Gorillaz this morning, it's no plastic beach, but seeing as how it was made and the time it was made in, it's excellent so far.

Everyone did.
Yup. My brother owns the single version. My mother and he used to play it in the car just to make me rage.

I admit to reading Pitchfork to see what's going on, but since their review style makes me rage (more focus on purple prose than actually critiquing the record), I tend to avoid them except for the best-of lists. Just read their best-of lists and while I agree with a lot of their top placers I can't really judge, not having heard most of it (yet). There's a thread already for albums but what were your favourite tracks this year?

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Top 5:

Ayumi Hamasaki - crossroad
Ayumi Hamasaki - Lady Dynamite
Big Boi - Shine Blockas
Kanye West - Monster
B.o.B. - Past My Shades

I don't feel like checking every page in here, but definitely my favourite song that came out this year (and possible even without that specificiation) is Boy by Ra Ra Riot. Ra Ra Riot is pretty awesome, sounds similar to Arcade Fire if I had to compare it but with more lofty and interesting vocals as well as a violinist and cellist. As an added bonus, the cellist and the violinist are both pretty hot, the cellist especially (she's TAY's avatar, methinks).

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the best thing that happened for music in 2010 is the beetles coming to i-tunes!

lol my dad has like every record of them and the quality is crap so i just bought them on i-tunes :D

I don't feel like checking every page in here, but definitely my favourite song that came out this year (and possible even without that specificiation) is Boy by Ra Ra Riot. Ra Ra Riot is pretty awesome, sounds similar to Arcade Fire if I had to compare it but with more lofty and interesting vocals as well as a violinist and cellist. As an added bonus, the cellist and the violinist are both pretty hot, the cellist especially (she's TAY's avatar, methinks).
Yeah Boy was not my favorite song on the album, not a bad song, but I prefer kansai and you and I know. Yeah the cellist is pretty hot, i've seen Ra Ra Riot in concert twice, and the last time was a small gig at my school (no more than 250 people total). I was pretty much a few inches from being able to reach out and touch the stage, so it was pretty cool seeing them play that close up.

EDIT: lampost last I checked itunes quality was crap. Isn't it like 128 kbps, or are they all 256 kbps now? Either way I like my music to be 320 kbps or lossless, but I guess for most people's earphones or headphones the difference wouldn't matter.

the best thing that happened for music in 2010 is the beetles coming to i-tunes!

lol my dad has like every record of them and the quality is crap so i just bought them on i-tunes :D
this made me facepalm so fucking hard i gave myself a headache.

also, itunes is 256k now, but is still far from pristine quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)