2010 music

list will get really fat soon

checked the 2008s poll and Kanye was in the top ten afaik.. didnt know his last one was well-received by critics

Oh, totally was, but not in comparison. His firs two albums straight-up won the poll.

Also, I totally just got accepted to be in this.

Dear Joey [Redacted],

Hello. You are one of the 1,500-odd critics we'd like to include in the 38th
edition of the Village Voice Pazz & Jop poll, which aims as always to
compile everyone's Top 10 records and singles of 2010. Voting is now done
entirely online, so this serves as both your invitation and your
personalized ballot, per the link below. All ballots are due by Friday,
December 24th; results will be published in print and online the week of
January 19th. In addition to your votes, we also welcome comments (be they
one-liners or novellas) on any and all music-related matters. We'll publish
a great deal of these -- some in print, and a great many more only online --
and pay a small fee for their use in either case. Please email those
comments to us directly, at [Redacted]. Even if you decide
not to submit comments, please send a quick email to that address and update
your contact info for our files:

a) Current address
b) Updated e-mail and phone
c) Publications you write for, general workplace changes, whims

As in years past, for ranking albums, you'll have 100 points to divide among
your Top 10 picks, with each entry receiving no more than 30 or less than 5.
If you rank fewer than 10 albums, just subtract 5 points from your 100 total
for each blank. If you'd rather not rank individually, just assign 10 points
per record. All miscomputations will be corrected in-house, to the detriment
of your top-ranked records first.

For singles, please omit the quotation marks -- just Hey, Soul Sister as
opposed to "Hey, Soul Sister." There's no point-ranking system for the
singles category, which remains amorphous, comprising individual songs,
remixes, downloads, viral sensations, etc., at your discretion. Literal
release dates aren't binding, but a record or single's "impact" should have
occurred primarily in 2010. Some entities that got votes last year will do
so again; we will consider combining the two totals in that case. EPs and
compilations can be voted for in the album category.

Please let us know immediately if you encounter any technical problems. Here
is your official, personalized ballot:

[Redacted]

You will be asked to enter an ID number and your name at the top of the
ballot. Please fill those fields out with the information below, exactly as
it is displayed.

In the ID field, please enter: [Redacted]
In the Name field, please enter: Joey [Redacted]

Please be as accurate as possible with regard to names and labels -- more
obscure selections are tough to track down and verify. For band names, you
can eliminate "the." Leave the record-label space blank if you don't know
it; for items that have none, write "no label."

All individual Top 10s will be searchable online; voters outside New York
City who request one will be mailed a hard copy of that week's Voice.

Thanks for your time. For all questions/comments/gripes, you know where to
find me. Have a jovial holiday season.

Sincerely,

Rob Harvilla
Music Editor
Village Voice
I am so happy. I am so amazed. This is practically a dream come true for me.

Just curious, you participated in that site to get into that poll, rite.
I want to get into it next year. :3

And if you don't think there are "professional" critic fanboys...then,uh....
Professional just means you get paid because you're a better writer.

I just mean they're not entirely brainless. Drake put out a pretty good album. I think it'll tumble down the list, personally.

Also, I write for more than just my Wordpress. I am the weekly music critic for my university's newspaper, too. I sent an email to rharvilla at villagevoice.com and requested a ballot, and I got one. You can still try. I think they're being pretty generous about it. Include some of your pieces that you think are the best, your name, what you write for, and I think that's it? I'm not sure if a RateYourMusic link will quite work, but it's worth a try, right? I wish you luck.

I follow the poll every year and am obsessive about it, so it's a really huge deal to me.

cant complain with the majority of pitchforks top ~50, but round and round wouldnt have been my pick, personally. still, this reminded how great that track is, with that chorus that just makes me go all tingly.

most of my top tracks in terms of the kind of music pitchfork cover were there save for devil in a new dress which was my number 1 (but then runaway is probably the go-to pick), and antony and the johnsons thank you for your love.

i think i might have overplayed a few of the tracks here, esp. power and maybe shutterbugg. i kind of wore those tracks out since they first dropped :(

i hope some of you guys also check out their picks for the dubstep/post-dubstep tracks. i think i talked about james blake and girl unit a while back when i did a big post about dubstep/grime (although i dont think anyone really cared), so good to see them getting some attention.

if you want to try a new sound, then that's a good place to start. i honestly think my highlight of my year in music was opening up to hip-hop (with big bois album, and then some kanye/jay-z) and dubstep, which has really opened me up to a whole shit ton of other stuff. just that experience of trying something totally new and falling in love with it has led me to genres that were completely alien or even intimidating from the outside, in these cases because they were too old or too angry. but just being open-minded has led me to like, marvin gaye, james brown, agalloch, mastodon, and all kinds of stuff that would have scared me off before.

(also while im mentioning agalloch, what did you guys think of their album?)

I would have put Helicopter over Desire Lines, Round and Round wouldn't have been my #1 and I was looking for Vietnam by CCs, but overall I can't complain. Glad to see Rill Rill there.

vietnam was totally my track of the year for a good while but over time intimate became the standout for me. still, thats one of those albums where every track could be someones favourite track.

and jyeah, i just listened to sleigh bells and every single time i do i remember how much of a fucking adrenaline rush that thing is. personally i prefer the tracks that just get all up in your fucking face like tell em and crown on the ground, but damn if that album isnt amazing.

(and helicopter > desire lines)

Helicopter was the best song off that album. Not sure what they were thinking.

Besides that, I thought the list was just ok. Hopefully the album list will be better.

The album list should be solid, but I have a really bad feeling that High Violet is gonna be shafted. I actually looked at image urls from the bottom of the song list (ie http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/90_.jpeg) and then replace "90_" with "1" or "1_" and replace "jpeg" with "jpg" sometimes. I compiled a list of the album covers that I found.

1: Kanye 4: Big Boi 6: VW 9: Ariel 10: Janelle 11: Janelle 12: LCD 13: Lotus 14: Treats 15: Treats 17: AF 18: Titus 19: HTDW 21: Walkmen 22: Rick Ross 23: DR 24: Teengirl 25: Sufjan

2: LCD 5: Newsom 7: Beach House 10: Janelle 11: Deerhunter 16: Caribou 19: HTDW 20: Badu 21: Azari 23: VW 25: Angela Surf City

3: Deerhunter

10: Titus Andronicus

For reference, DR is Das Racist. You should be able to figure out the rest.

I didn't record it, but I believe I found High Violet at 27. The images that I found then are gone now, by the way. Also, I found the cover of "Fuck You" at twenty six, so this appears to be somewhat accurate.

This appears to predict the top ten as Kanye, LCD, Deerhunter, Big Boi, Newsom, VW, Beach House, ???, Ariel, Janelle. I'm really wondering what that number eight is, and Janelle might be eleven, so who knows?

Edit: Oh, duh! Judging by how things are going, that number eight is probably Robyn.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
lol buddy look man i enjoy list season as much as the next guy

but come on.

When it's five in the morning and you need to do something to break from studying and all you have is your laptop, things happen. I am well aware of how positively bonkers this looks.

yea, I was like "wtf is goin on"

wont listen to more 2010 albums anymore though.. listened to slightly more than 600 and this will do

I would say, as far as metal is concerned, there were definitely great albums to come out this year. My favorite is a tie between "Static Impulse" by James LaBrie and "For Aeons Past" by Solution .45

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
incidentally was i the only one who listened to the new Menomena album? Best indie rock album of the year?

probably.

incidentally was i the only one who listened to the new Menomena album? Best indie rock album of the year?

probably.
Arguably*
I thought it was eh.

Ahhhhh Ayumi Hamasaki. After that I'm done with the year. I'll dedicate my last week of 2010 to listening to people I never had the time to get into. My Bloody Valentine, New Order, The Smiths, and Tom Waits, here I come! (I doubt I'll get to listen to everything in all of their discographies as a whole.)

Can't wait for next year though. PJ Harvey, U2, and Radiohead!

probably.

i don't think it's the best one released this year, but it comes close.. TAOS is fuckin incredible

2010 is nearly over and i have made my top 5 albums of the year that i listened to

1. arcade fire - the suburbs
ok yeah it's the suburbs it's like a sequel to funeral in a way everyone's heard this everyone loves this my favourite song was the suburbs

2. crystal castles - crystal castles
i love crystal castles and crystal castles sounded a lot more gritty than crystal castles which was enjoyable my favourite song was empathy

3. vampire weekend - contra
not as good as vampire weekend but still really great. i liked this album because the lyrics were a lot more 'fun' my favourite song was giving up the gun

4. angus and julia stone - down the way
angus and julia stone have nice voices and they are pretty good at instruments and stuff. lyrics of every song really move you. this album won an aria so it was critically acclaimed in australia my favourite song was hold on

5. klaxons - surfing the void
a lot of people will disagree with me and they'll say that surfing the void is mediocre at best but it was my favourite psychedelic album of the year and was weird, really weird my favourite song was echoes

It doesn't deserve that rating ;c

new Trophy Scars EP is pretty ace, btw

edit: i have listened to Mouth of the Architect again.. first two songs are really good, rest not so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)