Other Metagames [1v1] Feel Good Inc. (Peak #2 1768 ELO qualified for 1v1LT)

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.

Introduction
So I was basically dead for a while, to be precise until about 2 months ago. Since I've come back its been a wild ride, 1v1 had a room which I did not expect, I've made more friends in the 1v1 community and I feel less like an aids shitposter, more a decent user. I managed to qualify for the 1v1 Ladder Tournament after coming back and ended up going out in round 3, however I really enjoyed the whole process and I was pleased with my performance in my first ever 1v1 tour on smogon! One of the main teams I've used since coming back and getting involved with the community and which helped me qualify for 1v1LT and carry me through some tough games in round 1 and 2 is the one I'm going to showcase today. Its showcasing my new favourite pokemon, the goddess Tapu Fini, which is a pokemon I really love the design of and more importantly love in 1v1. So without further ado, I present Feel Good Inc!​

https://imgur.com/a/qntXW

I got 1768 but only 1763 in this screenshot forgot to screenshot after next game oops

I started with Tapu Fini for a strong special attacker which can beat both charizards, kyurem-black and mgyara, as well as almost all of the fast offensive fighting types in the tier which trouble...

I then added Snorlax because it was very synergetic with Tapu Fini, as it enjoyed having the stuff Tapu Fini removed, well removed. It also beats stuff like Mega Venusaur and Chansey for Tapu Fini.

Finally I added Donphan as a strong pokemon in its own regard, but mainly as a great lure for Curse kyu with rock tomb.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 216 SpA / 20 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Tapu Fini is the main pokemon of the team, the centrepiece. I put on choice specs to increase the damage dealt by Fini to the point where it can kill pokemon such as Kyurem-Black and Charizard-mega-Y with its coverage moves, moon blast and HP rock respectively. The EVs in defence in conjunction with the HP allow Tapu Fini to take a sucker punch+play rough from Mega Mawile, and the special defence a hyper beam from max special attack modest porygon-z. The moves are standard and give Tapu Fini as much coverage as possible to beat as much stuff in the meta as possible. Tapu Fini itself is very anti-meta right now, its good bulk+average special attack enhanced by the choice specs allows it to beat many S rank pokemon and high usage pokemon such as both Mega Charizards, Mega Gyarados, and Kyurem-Black to name a few.

Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 120 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Belly Drum

Snorlax has recently become an incredibly potent threat in the 1v1 metagame, rising in usage by a ton with the advent of this set, the Normalium-Z sleep set. The usage of yawn+protect allows Snorlax to beat many top tier threats provided it gets a bit lucky, and then use z-belly drum, or just attack with z-double-edge. This allows it to beat many pokemon which would trouble Tapu Fini such as super bulky special pokemon or offensive grass types, namely stuff like chansey, mega venusaur, kartana etc. The given EVs into hp and defence allow it to take an Icium-Z freeze shock from Kyurem-Black, as well as just in general maximising physical bulk, allowing it to take on as many threats as possible.

Donphan @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Counter
- Rock Tomb

Donphan is used as a glue pokemon luring Curse Mimikyu, a pokemon which at preview looks like it beats my entire team, and all around being a good pokemon in general providing more secure answers versus things like Mega Mawile, Mega Metagross, and the other bulky steels in the tier. It hits incredibly hard with Groundium-z Earthquake, and jolly with max speed investment while allowing it to outspeed mimikyu after a rock tomb also allows it to beat other sturdy pokemon which commonly don't run as much speed investment as it. Counter also allows Donphan to cheese wins against bad Gyarados users and force 50/50s in mirrors, which creates mind games for you to win but is better than having auto losses versus certain mons.

none because all the old ones are gone sigh

Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 120 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Belly Drum

Donphan @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Counter
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 216 SpA / 20 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

And thats the team!

ok I'm not badged and there are too many people I want to shoutout so I'm not gonna do an individual mass tag, I'm just gonna say S/O LSF and everyone in the 1v1 room who's a regular, and individual shoutouts are for all the people who helped me get back into to 1v1 and start enjoying it again a month and a half ago.

UnleashOurPassion without you I probably wouldn't have got back into 1v1, you've been so helpful to me man and I really appreciate you for that

DEG Esteemed 1v1 RO GO QC NOW

Baleblaze especially before you went to do your exams man you were super important for me, its been great talking to you again after such a long time.

charizard8888 such a chill guy to talk to in PMs its been great talking to you after coming back

Iron Crusher same^

XSTATIC COLD get car crash die noob

Quantum Tesseract do u even play 1v1?

RNGIsFatal fellow tapu fini abuser :D

motogp fuck jolly donphan

Downcoming3 fuck snorlax

MaceMaster we haven't like talked that much but from what we have ur super chill and ur ev spreads are mind blowing lol

Whammerist a great guy I'm sorry i couldn't win 1v1lt for you to make ur predicts right :c

partys over dc3 is objectively the better player XD!

Blazikin the G bomb good lord i love you no homo <3333

Tallydaorangez I'm sorry i forgot u first time but ur the best room voice ;w;
thats everyone i can think of off the top of my head rn but I'm kinda tired and sleepy, just hmu if i missed u, I'm hoping i didnt miss anyone

Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Heya.

Allow me to rate your team by pointing out some threats:

/
/
vs.

Yes, I know I'm like the only person in the ladder who uses Tapu Bulu, but I wanted to note on this because Tapu Bulu is able to completely obliterating your team using this set:

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Bulk Up / Swords Dance

• Tapu Fini's Moonblast is nowhere close to getting OHKO, and Tapu Bulu can simply press Wood Hammer and call it a day. It OHKO's fini without Grassy Terrain.
  • 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 120 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 468-552 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO; also some Tapu Bulu carries Taunt.
  • 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 31-36 (8 - 9.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever (...) No, spamming Counter won't save you. Grassy Terrain recovery is 1/16 which is 6.25% and that is less than what Tapu Bulu does to Donphan with Rock Tomb to break Sturdy.

--​

/
/
vs.

Thundurus-T is potentially capable of 3-0'ing your team for the following reasons:

• Tapu Fini does not OHKO Thundurus using Moonblast while Thundurus-T can OHKO first using Gigavolt Havoc or simply 2HKO using Thunderbolt
  • Snorlax will be completely shut down by Substitute / Taunt variants which can buy a free turn to use Nasty Plot, and these variants sometimes carry Fightinium Z (I personally use Fightinium Z, but other people mostly use Electrium Z and thus loses to Snorlax)
  • Donphan does not outspeed Thundurus-T after Rock Tomb and Thundurus can just press its coverage move (HP Ice / Grass Knot / etc) to 2HKO in return.
Probably the best way to deal with this cloud booty is just sending Snorlax and pressing Breakneck Blitz immediately, but you should still watch out for Substitute.

--​

/
/
vs.

Gamefreak's fanart industry
Gamefreak's political strategies to change meta

Psychinium Z Tapu Lele can 3-0 your team:

• Tapu Lele can use Shattered Psyche + Psychic to defeat Tapu Fini even under Misty Terrain or simply proceed to set up Calm mind. The only scenario you win against it is when Tapu Lele overpredicts and uses Taunt anticipating Calm Mind fini variants.
  • Snorlax will be Taunted and be walled by Z-Reflect. Psyshock variants are capable of KO'ing Snorlax even faster. But just like Thundurus-T, you can bypass Tapu Lele with appropriate predicitons, such as using Belly Drum on Z-Reflect (252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax in Psychic Terrain: 205-243 (40.3 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery), using Breakneck Blitz on Taunt, or using Z-Belly Drum on predicted Shattered Psyche.
  • Donphan always loses to Z-Reflect variants barring situations with critical hits.

--​

Also I would like to note that your team, just like most of my teams, are made of three members that are bulky and offensive, and this means your team will naturally have some vulnerability to hax; this is not negligible because 1v1 games' tables can always be turned with faster Pokemon using shits like Ice Beam and stuff so you will always end up losing couple games because of them. However, this has no relevance to neither individual / systemic issues with your teams so you can ignore this part...

So that was my rate, hope it was helpful. The only possible change I might suggest is running Hydro Pump over Surf on Tapu Fini, but your set, compared to mine, has different EV spreads to take on different opponents so to certain extent, Hydro Pump can be a worse choice regarding its shaky accuracy.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)