Smogon Forums

Bobsican
Bobsican
Just checked in the Smogon Wi-Fi server, it seems the name change is done by trading it at all in Gen 7, for it to keep its OT it'd have to be given in Gen 8 or HOME.
Zekrom117
I will trade you back the other Tapu Bulu from my Sun versio now.
Zekrom117
Wait so if you recieve the Tapu bulu in gen 8 or home then it’s OT will be Ula’ula?
Bobsican
Bobsican
Without trading it previously on a Gen 7 game, that appears to be the case.
Zekrom117
If that is the case, then game freak really messed up its consistency with the shiny tapu event Pokémon, but then again this is the same company that could not be bothered to fix shiny nidoqueen and make it purple like it’s preevolutions for so long.
Bobsican
Bobsican
It has to do with the " ' " not existing in some in-game languages, so the game just replaces it with a placeholder.
Zekrom117
So only in gen 7 will the shiny Tapu Bulu OT be either Moon. Or Sun. This includes Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. The OT only changes to Ula’ula OT in gen 8 or home?
Bobsican
Bobsican
See here for more information on that.
Zekrom117
Thank you I will check that info, also do you want the other Tapu Bulu in my Sun version back? I can trade it back to you now.
Bobsican
Bobsican
Yes please.
Zekrom117
Alright I am waiting for you now, sorry about all the confusion, but to be fair we did not know game freak would mess up this bad.
Zekrom117
I did look at the info and if I start a new game in my Ultra Sun and change it to Spanish language it will remove the glitch.
Bobsican
Bobsican
Well, it seems the rename is permanent, transfering it to other games/languages by then shouldn't change its OT back, in any case it seems accepted in legality either way given it's obtainable in-game, like the whole shiny Mapaphy incident.
Zekrom117
I meant if I restart my ultra sun game, which I am comfortable doing, could I change the language to Spanish and you generate another Tapu Bulu just to see if that will undo the glitch? I just want to try it.
Bobsican
Bobsican
Sure, tomorrow however, I'm quite tired now after all of this.
Zekrom117
I understand, we can do this a little later in the week if you like, this was for something I wanted to test out.
Bobsican
Bobsican
Turns out that will probably have to be the case, it seems my 3DS Micro SD card is having issues and I'd rather sort it out to avoid potential data corruption.
Zekrom117
Okay, I do not mind waiting as I just want to try restarting my Ultra moon game as I have no important Pokémon on it and change the language to Spanish just to see if it will fix the problem as the Reddit post said. I assume the sd card is where the wonder card data is stored, could you buy a new sd card and put it in your 3ds?
Bobsican
Bobsican
Well, first I have to check if it's something I can fix on the software side.
And yes, all save data of 3DS games are stored on the SD card.
If it fails I'll probably be unable to as I have a lot of stuff into my SD card and so wouldn't be easy to replace.
Bobsican
Bobsican
Okay, it got fixed, will see you tomorrow at 1:00 PM GMT -6 as before.