Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

If you want an easy to build weather team, for the love of god please just use rain. Sand is shit now. If you really insist, then I'd say you'll absolutely need Exca and perhaps hippowdon. Mixed thundy isn't very good in this meta. Perhaps Koko instead? idk, i'm tired rn so i can't think, just don't use sand please, especially not sand balance. This isn't gen 6.

Ok thanks for your wisdom lmao

Ok thanks for your wisdom lmao
I don't think sand is thaaaat bad. CB Ttar is very good atm and SD Steelium Exca can break nearly everything with SR (but ferro/celesteela (TTar can damage/lure them tho)).

+1 252+ Atk Excadrill Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 351-414 (91.8 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 373-441 (92.5 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 230-271 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 247-292 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
I don't think sand is thaaaat bad. CB Ttar is very good atm and SD Steelium Exca can break nearly everything with SR (but ferro/celesteela (TTar can damage/lure them tho)).

+1 252+ Atk Excadrill Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 351-414 (91.8 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 373-441 (92.5 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 230-271 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 247-292 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I think I'll stick to Rain just for the simplicity, but I'll remember your information. Thanks

So you're going to do 2 corkscrew crash vs celesteela?...

So you're going to do 2 corkscrew crash vs celesteela?...
nah but with prior damage from CB Ttar for example you can even kill Steela which is like the 2nd best counter cuz no1 plays Rotom (if u predict the protect right tho)

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 172-204 (43.2 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
AV Bulu is legit or just a meme? What's the set if it's not?
It's a meme with no reason to use unless if tangrowth gets deleted from the game.
To add on to what Shadowtext1 said, you are better off using SD + z move/ life orb or even sub Sd on Bulu, as it is able to a lot more utility with its breaking power than checking 2 mon in the meta,

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dude you can definitely make sand work with good building. People seem to think teams are bad if your not using top vr mons
No one actually said that so quit making assumptions for one thing.

Sand in general is just not a good playstyle in this meta because most team archetypes are heavily against it. Driller has a lot of issues sweeping in a meta with a bunch of shit that can prevent it from sweeping as well as Ash Gren on loads of offensive teams which just revenges you anyway. It CAN work, but you're going to be at an immediate disadvantage in most matchups. No one is telling him he can't use Sand, they are just stating a fact that it is sub optimal in this meta, because it is. Tyranitar is good because it's Tyranitar, so you're better off just using it without trying to make your team centered around Sand.

Yes, you CAN make Sand work, but it loses to a lot of common playstyles in the metagame, so it's not recommended. No amount of good team building can prep you for everything, especially one that's already boned by a majority of the common trends in the metagame. People are just trying to help him because he asked a valid question if Sand it worth building in the meta, and to put it bluntly, it's not lol.

I mean unless you don't really care about winning matches and just want to build Sand for fun, go for it. But like if you're expecting to have a shot at competing with most of the upper ladder, choosing not to use optimal Pokemon is just going to put you at a huge disadvantage. If you want to go balls out and use only C+ ranked mons for the fuck of it, be my guest, but don't be upset when you can't win consistently with them lol.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
How viable is Elecrium Z Tapu Lele? As far as my experience goes, mixed defense / specially defensive Celesteela is becoming more common (especially those with dedicated EV spread to prevail against Magnezone as much as possible), and it also helps easing prediction against Gyarados. I tried around 10 games and it worked just fine but I wanted to question if it is just a giant gimmick or actually viable.

How viable is Elecrium Z Tapu Lele? As far as my experience goes, mixed defense / specially defensive Celesteela is becoming more common (especially those with dedicated EV spread to prevail against Magnezone as much as possible), and it also helps easing prediction against Gyarados. I tried around 10 games and it worked just fine but I wanted to question if it is just a giant gimmick or actually viable.
I don't think it's very good. Specs is so strong you can just click Psychic and chunk it heavily. Is it moderately viable? Sure, but I don't really think it's among the most viable Z move users (Lando, Kartana , Magearna, Gyarados). There's better Celesteela countermeasures out there.

To add on to what Shadowtext1 said, you are better off using SD + z move/ life orb or even sub Sd on Bulu, as it is able to a lot more utility with its breaking power than checking 2 mon in the meta,
Tbh, AV Bulu and SD Bulu have very different roles so I don't think a direct comparison is fair. There's actually some merit to using bulu as more of a bulky mon that provides a ton of grassy terrain support throughout the game.

The reason not to use AV bulu is pretty simple, Leech Seed Bulu is just better (and personally my favourite bulu set). Although it doesn't have the breaking power of SD Bulu, it literally just never dies. Leech Seed + Grassy Terrain + Protect means that it can take almost fatal damage and then be really healthy again a couple turns later. AV Bulu's matchup against Specs Ash Gren is a bit better but otherwise Leech Seed bulu outclasses it hard. It just supports your team way better and grassy terrain is just amazing if you build for it. Personally, I use leech seed bulu along with mega-sab and I find it really fixes a lot of issues that Sab normally has when used on a non-stall team (namely, it has a much easier time with SR users like Lando and Chomp)

There is a Physical Electrium Z Koko set on Smogon. It involes Wild Charge and Taunt so it screams Anti-Steela. Pair with Electric Seed Hawlucha and you got a good offensive core

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
There is a Physical Electrium Z Koko set on Smogon. It involes Wild Charge and Taunt so it screams Anti-Steela. Pair with Electric Seed Hawlucha and you got a good offensive core
he said lele tho
I was asking about lure set, and I just took it as "It is a bad gimmick and it is better to use Tapu Koko." instead.
Although Tapu Koko is much better checking stuff like Celesteela and Skarmory, it obviously forces out aformentioned walls so I asked about Electrium Z lele out of curiousity.

I really like the look of Calm Mind Tapu Fini - I've always had a soft spot for bulky sweepers - what would be some good teammates for it?
Fini has literally flawless type synergy with Ferrothorn. They mutually resist all of eachothers weaknesses, Ferrothorn enjoys not being burned, and they form 2/3 of a strong Fire Water Grass core. Charizard X can complete the core nicely, as it also loves not being able to be paralyzed or poisoned, but misty terrain weakening dragon moves makes it a bit difficult to play around.

Fini has literally flawless type synergy with Ferrothorn. They mutually resist all of eachothers weaknesses, Ferrothorn enjoys not being burned, and they form 2/3 of a strong Fire Water Grass core. Charizard X can complete the core nicely, as it also loves not being able to be paralyzed or poisoned, but misty terrain weakening dragon moves makes it a bit difficult to play around.
I remember that Dclaw is used to hit mostly landorus-t ,as it is not grounded i believe the effect is the normal,but you miss hitting zygarde and garchomp on the switch,i believe the core can work but it would need volt-turn support from landorus or magearna.

Do you guys know were can i learn basic team building skills? i want to build a team based around zard x roost+3 attacks set, if possible on the bulky offense archetype,I used the Magearna+Lando core as pivots but i need a mon that covers heatran,is keldeo a good option or am i better using toxapex?(The problem is that it is too pasive for BO but i really want to have a heatran switchin)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing around with some teams and I'm looking at making a team with the core of Clefable/Toxapex/Celestella, I'm thinking to add Mega Medicham, as well, any suggestions or tips?

I've been playing around with some teams and I'm looking at making a team with the core of Clefable/Toxapex/Celestella, I'm thinking to add Mega Medicham, as well, any suggestions or tips?
I'm not to experienced with this core becuase offense is my playstyle of choice. I can tell you that Bulky electric resists like tangrowth are a must, since otherwise you autolose to tapu koko.

Muscle K

Banned deucer.
Regarding the recent viability rankings update, why was mega medicham dropped to B+? Nothing in the meta has really changed for it: it preforms fantastically in the offence-based meta and the drop was justified by saying
has a lot of issues finding usage on teams, with so many other good megas and wallbreakers being prevalent atm.
Am I missing something here, or is my preference for Medicham blinding my perception of the meta?

This question is about the viability rankings. Im confused as to what the purpose of that thread is. Whenever i read it, i see pointless arguments and condescending posts from good players. It gives the forums a bad vibe imo. It seems the changes in viability reflect high ladder/tournament usage, however ive heard the purpose of the thread is to inform newer players. I dont get it. Better players already know meta trends, and the rankings really dont match, or even matter so much in mid/lower ladder.

Theres plenty of other threads that inform players and help them get better at the game. The vr seems to be full of more empty arguments than anything. I also think it greatly influences the use of only certain mons, and limits diversity in the metagame

This question is about the viability rankings. Im confused as to what the purpose of that thread is. Whenever i read it, i see pointless arguments and condescending posts from good players. It gives the forums a bad vibe imo. It seems the changes in viability reflect high ladder/tournament usage, however ive heard the purpose of the thread is to inform newer players. I dont get it. Better players already know meta trends, and the rankings really dont match, or even matter so much in mid/lower ladder.

Theres plenty of other threads that inform players and help them get better at the game. The vr seems to be full of more empty arguments than anything. I also think it greatly influences the use of only certain mons, and limits diversity in the metagame
The VR exists to tell you which mons are good in the metagame. It's not some secret agenda to convince you that you can only use a few mons. Many of the best teams in the tier include Pokemon that were previously considered suboptimal. No one's telling you that you can't bring your CB Darmanitan to low ladder and reach 1600 with ease. I can agree that the quality of the thread is not always top notch, but you seem to be attacking the idea of a VR thread altogether which I fail to understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)