SM OU LOPUNNY D'ARABIA

L O P U N N Y D'A R A B I A

(Huge thanks to Baoba for the awesome banner)

RMT composition:
  • Introduction
  • Team Preview
  • In-Depth Analysis
  • Threatlist
  • Replays
  • Importable
  • Shoutouts

INTRODUCTION
Hello everyone, it's Will of Fire here with my first and new RMT, which will be showcasing what I consider one of my most successful teams in the Sun&Moon Overused tier. Some of you may already have recognized me from the recently happened WCoP, played with Team Italy, in which I even had the chance to play a game in the playoffs! However, today I'm here to show you this team I've recently built for the new Smogon Tour 24 tournament (and for the OLT laddering experience, despite the fact that I didn't join it in the end), and it turned out working in a pretty cool way! However, Sun&Moon is going through some changes thanks to all the megas being recently released, I really think that this archetype of teams (sand builds) can really work well if correctly prepared to all the new mons joining the list. Without further ado, I introduce you to my first RMT!

TEAM PREVIEW

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

So, the main concept of the team was trying to build something that could have easily beaten the most common builds which were used during the 4 cycles of OLT laddering, that's why I decided to start with the ancient and yet solid ORAS sand duo
and
. I opted for Choice Band Tyranitar over every sort of Hippowdon variant, as I felt like I needed more a wallbreaker than a passive mon. What I was lacking now, was the presence of a reliable Stealth Rocks user; that's when
instantly came to my mind. Physical defensive Clefable was the perfect fit in this case, as it can easily setup rocks against threats like Sableye, or even mons like Zapdos/Mantine, thanks to Toxic. Clefable is also a reliable Zygarde check, which otherwise would completely crush the main core. Now, there were some threats which needed to be countered, Mega Pinsir and Landorus in particular were the two biggest isssues, that's why I opted for
. It's a really bulky mon, and thanks to the combination of Leech Seed + Protect, it can easily help me breaking the opponent's momentum, and even threaten him with Slam + Flamethrower combination. Now I needed to find a check for threats like Diancie, AshNinja or even Suicune.

That's why I added
, which is also a great partner for Celesteela and Clefable, thanks to their perfect defensive synergy. Now, the only thing I was lacking was a reliable speed control user. Since Excadrill was the only thing that could have outspeeded threats like Tapu Koko, or Tapu Lele (only under sandstorm), that's why I decided to go with
over mons like Charizard Y. Lopunny is also great in general for revenge killing, and gaining momentum.

IN-DEPTH ANALYSES

Excadrill @ Steelium Z | Sand Rush
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
Swords Dance / Earthquake / Iron Head / Rapid Spin

As I previously said, Excadrill is the real star of the team. Swords Dance paired with Steelium Z makes it able to crush opponents team really easily. Not only it is a soft Tapu Koko check, which otherwise would result really problematic for the other 5 members, but it is also a reliable hazard removal thanks to Rapid Spin support. I decided to run Jolly over Adamant as it is able to outspeed mons like Scarf Greninja, or Scarf Dugtrio under sand.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band | Sand Stream
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 | Adamant
Crunch / Stone Edge / Fire Punch / Pursuit

Tyranitar's here not only for the fact that it provides sand to Excadrill, but it is also a really good partner in general to it, as it helps the team a lot in the matchup against mons like Mega Latias or Mega Slowbro, which would result annoying otherwise. I like Fire Punch a lot, as it is a good bait for teams which are not really prepared for it, and usually send Ferrothorn or Scizor as checks to this. (It also helps a lot against Magearna, which gets walled by this if it runs the common Boltbeam set.)

Lopunny @ Lopunnite | Limber
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
Return / High Jump Kick / Ice Punch / Encore

As I mentioned before, Lopunny actually was the last member I added to the team. Its main role is providing some speed control, and helping Exca breaking opponents' builds, especially against offensive builds. Lopunny appreciates a lot Tyranitar's ability to break through mons like Clefable or Mega Latias which can easily check it. Ice Punch is there for hitting Landorus, Zygarde, Garchomp and ground problematic ground types in general. Encore might be replaced as well by Fake Out, depending on the players' preferences.

Clefable @ Leftovers | Magic Guard
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD | Bold
Moonblast / Toxic / Stealth Rock / Soft-Boiled

Clefable was choosen as the rock setter for this build, as it is capable of checking many threats in one simple slot. In particular, it checks huge threats like Mega Medicham (non Zen Heabutt variants), or Dragon Dance Zygarde, which are definitely really good in the meta right now. Toxic allows it to setup hazards against the like of Zapdos or Mantine, which would otherwise Defog without any problem the rocks. Lastly, it is a great status absorber, so it is a nice support for the 3 mons mentioned before, against walls like Mew.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell | Regenerator
248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe | Calm
Scald / Toxic Spikes / Recover / Haze

Toxapex is the second member of the defensive backbone of the squad. It is mainly here for checking threats like Mega Charizard X, Volcarona (non Psychium Z variants), Battle Bond Greninja and even Suicune and Keldeo. It is also a soft check to Heatran thanks to Shed Shell and Tyranitar presence. Speaking about Shed Shell in fact, I just decided to run it over Black Sludge, as I hate being trapped by Dugtrio(now I still keep it for magmatran), especially if it's then paired with mons like Zard Y or Volcarona which would crush this build.

Celesteela @ Leftovers | Relaxed
248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD | Beast Boost
Heavy Slam / Leech Seed / Flamethrower / Protect

Celesteela is the last member of the backbone, and team in general. Not much to say about it, it helps a lot against mons like Mega Pinsir and offensive Lando. It also has a great synergy with Toxapex, as it checks ground types, and Clefable, as it can take on poison and steel types. Talking about its spread, I felt like 200 EVs in Defense were more than enough for taking on the mons it is supposed to check, plus I really wanted to put some EVs in Special Defense, as they might turn really useful during games, although it is possible to adjust it for personal tastes.​

THREATLIST
Big threats in red.
Medium threats in orange.
Small threats in green.

Mega Mawile

Mega Mawile definitely deserve the first spot as top threat, as nothing really switches into it. The only way of beating this mon is by revenge killing it with Tyranitar, Excadrill (if it hasn't danced yet) or Lopunny, if it's in High Jump Kick range, or if you can Encore it on Sucker Punch. Celesteela can beat it with Flamethrower if it's in range, but it would take a huge hit before doing it. Toxapex can try to burn it instead, but it's still not a good check.

Heatran

Heatran is a really tricky mon to play against, as it really bothers every single member of this team. The MagmaTrap set is really annoying, as it might trap Toxapex really early in the game, that's why I suggest keeping Shed Shell even after Dugtrio's ban, as you can try to do some pillaring with Tyranitar, and try to beat it from there. Anyways, both Excadrill and Lopunny, even if they can't switch on it, they can easily beat it.

Tapu Koko

As Excadrill is its only soft check, the defensive backbone of the team, really struggles against its Electric moves. Tyranitar can tank some U-Turns, but Z-Wild Charge is always really scary. Clefable might tank hits too, depending on Koko's set. If anything, Lopunny can revengekill it without too many problems. September 2017 and Koko stays broken.

Mega Medicham

Mega Medicham easily gets a spot between this team's threats. Even if Clefable should check it, the Zen Heabutt set is still really annoying, as not only it can 2HKO with some chip damage on Clef, but it also has chances to flinch it, which might come in handy to the opponent for breaking through the entire team. Paired with Koko, it's even a bigger threat, as boosted Thunder Punches deal the same amount of damage as Zen Heabutts to Clef.

Kartana

Even this mon is getting more and more rare, it's still a problematic threat with the common Sword Dance set. The only mon able to properly revenge kill it is Lopunny. It's also vital to keep Celesteela healthy enough to try to predict some Fightinium Z scenarios.

Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele itself isn't a real threat to the team, but there is one set in particular which completely crush this builds, which is the Electrium Z one. Fortunately, this set is really rare, so you just will send Celesteela most of the times against this, without fearing it. If it gets Choice locked, Tyranitar can trap it. Just like Koko, the only solid way of revenge kill it is Lopunny.

REPLAYS

IMPORTABLE
Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Encore

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Protect

SHOUTOUTS
H.M.N.I.P for helping a lot in the creation of the RMT!
Tricking for having played it a lot, and even won a ST with it.
Bro Kappa for getting mad on OLT Ladder while trying to top with this, I wish you good luck for this Smogon Tour Season!
$wagAlejandro The pr0 my friend, and yet SM OU italian champion!

All my EG companions.

And all my lovely mates from IK:
Trouble In UranuS
Freend
LittleBigPlanet2
Pendulum Swing
CK James
King Cacturne
Rexus
Mata!
ThePrime
Beast.
Mold.Breaker
IL Hiehachy
-Shade-
-UlquiorraSchiffer-
DragoMaster95

Hope you all enjoyed, see you for the next RMT!

Last edited:
It really helps ur team beat things like koko and tran if ur ttar is running eq, as well as many mega mawiles as they dont run max speed jolly, usually adamant , so u should outspeed those,also magearna rips this team apart because they also run focus blast most of the time, maybe flamethrower over sr or toxic on clef would really help u wall it better,

I made a similar team a while back, the only difference is I chose to run Mega Zard X over Lopunny. I have a few questions and minor suggestions to the team. Firstly what is the 20 Speed on Toxapex for? Secondly I would recommend Knock Off over Toxic on
. Knock Off is for walls that switch into Clefable, like Ferrothorn or Tangrowth hindering their item slot. Lastly Try running Toxic over Toxic Spikes on
. Seeing how poison types are common on teams now a days, they’ll just absorb the spikes.

Don't you have any problems dealing with Tapu Fini and / or Tapu Bulu? I would highly suggest you to consider getting Zapdos instead of Celesteela, since it will be able to check both mons I've previously mentioned, deal with the ones Celesteela is supposed to and provide another check for Kartana while also being able to provide defog for your team.

It really helps ur team beat things like koko and tran if ur ttar is running eq, as well as many mega mawiles as they dont run max speed jolly, usually adamant , so u should outspeed those,also magearna rips this team apart because they also run focus blast most of the time, maybe flamethrower over sr or toxic on clef would really help u wall it better,
Eq would be a better choice if I'd run flamethrower on clefa. But running flamethrower instead of toxic on clefa would complicate my match up against zapdos and mew.
And running flamethrower on clef without cm wouldn't help against a cm magearna.
Sadly magearna can run such a variety of good set and it's difficult to cover all of them.
I just have to pray and hope that magearna doesn't run the set that 6-0s me.
Sg+cm with boltbeam coverage can't pass ttar easily, sgear+boltbeam with fightiniumz can be threatning but at least it doesn't boost its stats and maybe the defensive backbone of the team can deal with it.
Stab+electric coverage is probably the most dangerous one for my team but at least excadrill can rkill it.

I made a similar team a while back, the only difference is I chose to run Mega Zard X over Lopunny. I have a few questions and minor suggestions to the team. Firstly what is the 20 Speed on Toxapex for? Secondly I would recommend Knock Off over Toxic on
. Knock Off is for walls that switch into Clefable, like Ferrothorn or Tangrowth hindering their item slot. Lastly Try running Toxic over Toxic Spikes on
. Seeing how poison types are common on teams now a days, they’ll just absorb the spikes.
I run 20 evs on Spe to haze potential cm reuniclus/slowbro before they hit me with a boosted psychic move.
I can't run knockoff for the reason I explained before to legend slayer.
I find toxic spikes here more useful to increase my match up against offensive team, but I can test toxic on it and see how it goes.

Don't you have any problems dealing with Tapu Fini and / or Tapu Bulu? I would highly suggest you to consider getting Zapdos instead of Celesteela, since it will be able to check both mons I've previously mentioned, deal with the ones Celesteela is supposed to and provide another check for Kartana while also being able to provide defog for your team.
It's funny because I consider tapu fini more of a threat than tabu bulu here because of the fair and balanced move called nature's madness.
Zapdos could help but getting rid of celesteela means that tapu lele becomes way more threatning and I don't like it.
I could solve the problem of tapu fini by running sludge bomb on toxapex but I have to do some test before.

Ty all for your suggestions.

It's funny because I consider tapu fini more of a threat than tabu bulu here because of the fair and balanced move called nature's madness.
Zapdos could help but getting rid of celesteela means that tapu lele becomes way more threatning and I don't like it.
I could solve the problem of tapu fini by running sludge bomb on toxapex but I have to do some test before.

Ty all for your suggestions.
You would certainly lack a 100% all-day check for Tapu Lele, but you would still have Sand Rush Excadrill at your side to threaten and kill it. Besides, Lele lacks momentum and is a pretty straight forward all-out mon that switches in on extremely predictable patterns. Wouldn't be so hard to check it w/ only Drill.

Besides having one less counter for Lele is a fair price for having a mean to deal with other 3 potential threats. I would certainly trade Celesteela for Zapdos if I were you, but I've got your point. Solid team nevertheless, wish you luck on your future endeavors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)