SM OU Mega Pinsir (Peaked 1950) Rank 4

Introduction
Hi, im MetaMence and this is my first RMT on Smogon, I started playing competitive mons late XY and I mostly played PO, but recently I started playing on PS. I started laddering with this team after megameta ban, and after peaking top 5 I decided to RMT it, since I thought it would be a fun experience.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
With megagross recently banned and medicham rising in usage, Pinsir has a much easier time spamming its stab return and finding an opportunity to clean late game. Earthquake allows it to hit most flying resists with super effective damage while quick attack gives me a form of priority. Keeping stealth rock off the field is crucial otherwise it will never find the opportunity to swords dance.

TapuLele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
I wanted a way to support Pinsir, without having to use something as inconsistent as magnezone. Since most people assume that lele is choiced I'm able to take advantage of that by calm minding and luring in a steel type to nuke it with a +1 All-Out Pummeling. Moonblast is pretty much spammable after the removal of steel types and Psyshock allows tapu lele to break through spdef walls such as chansey that would otherwise wall it.

TapuFini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt
- Defog
Tapu Fini is easily the most reliable defogger in the tier, so it should come to no surprise that I chose it as my defogger. I figured fishing for scald burns on flying mons such as zapdos and celesteela would benefit me more than nature's madness. Taunt is to prevent it from being setup bait and also stops slower mons such as skarmory and toxapex from freely setting up hazards

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
Heatran is my form of speed control and while it is certainly not the most convenient scarfer in the tier, it still outspeeds what it needs to. Fire blast>Overheat gives me a more consistent damage output which makes it a more efficient late game cleaner, flash cannon/earth power is standard. Stone Edge allows me to check Charizard Y, but it must be used cautiously because its a terrible move to lock yourself into especially if your opponent has a dugtrio.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore
Amoonguss helps patch up my FWG core and unlike tangrowth it gives me the option of putting things to sleep while still allowing it to switch into special attackers. Hp fire gives it the coverage to keep spore abrorbers away. Although there many terrains that prevent mons from being to put to sleep its ability to threaten things out is still great.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 8 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Everyone knows what this mon does by now sets up rocks, pivot out with u turn and hp ice for opposing ground types. Serves as my ground resist and is usually my lead to prioritize setting up stealth rock and pressuring my opponent from the get-go.
Gengar Specsgar is hard to switch into because the lack of ghost resist
Zapdos Can be difficult to wear down if stealth rock isn't up
Greninja My way of dealing with protean gren is by pivoting around with amoonguss and forcing it to ice beam to get a free switch into heatran
Mega-Pinsir Opposing Mega Pinsir can be slightly annoying and it sometimes comes down to a speed tie

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt
- Defog

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 8 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

I love your team but might I suggest a Ferrothorn instead of Amoonguss? Sleep Clause really hurts the effectiveness of a sporer and somethings that you try to spore can surprise with a OHKO. Ferrothorn only has the weakness to fire and Lando-T, Tapu Fini, and Heatran can easily switch into mons like CharY, Volcarona and Heatran. Ferrothorn can be just as annoying, especially against teams where you kill their fire type or a heavy special attacker with HP Fire. Plus You can't switch into a Greninja when Ferrothorn is on the field due to Power Whip STAB

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Amoonguss is superior option over ferrothorn, considering a spiker+rocker+ defogger on a team is quite meh option, also ferrothorn makes 1 more setup bait vs opposing scizor which may be a threat to the team, while amoongus can just spore+ HP fire, and deal with opposing ferrothorns for pinsir. Ferrothorn also doesnt really help with many of the threats on the list much better than amoonguss, dont forget that protean greninja can carry hp fire itself, and it takes 2 hits max from pokemon listed there, amoonguss at least can neutralize setup sweepers that can be annoyance. Only possible changes I would try here could be rock move(stone edge)> U-turn on Lando to check pinsir slightly better, and pressure opposing zapdos to roost more.

This team's raw, but I do suggest Frustration over Return on Mega Pinsir, to deal with max friendship Scarf Ditto better, it's basically the same argument as Black Sludge over Leftovers on Toxapex, Ditto isn't that common, but it can be worth it sometimes, especially under Psychic Terrain.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I recommend using Occa Berry on Amo, as it allows Amo to live Fire Blast from Charizard-Y in the Sun, giving you an opportunity to spore. Aside from this, which is huge, it can also somewhat check Volcarona as it can live +1 FBlast, +0 Inferno Overdrive; however, +1 Inferno Overdrive has a 56% chance to OHKO through Occa Berry. However, most Volcarona players are aware that Fire Blast will not OHKO Tapu Lele without Stealth Rocks damage prior, which is likely never up since Volcarona teams tend to run Defog as their hazard control, meaning that Volcarona will not be able to safely set up +1 until Defog has been used, creating a situation where Tapu Lele will check non-Z Fire Blast Volcarona. As such, Occa Berry Amo should remain a consistent check as your opponent is not likely to waste the Z move on it; and if they do (you have a small chance of living), you can still bring out Lele to force it out. The main selling point; however, is making Amo a check to Zard, which the team desperately needs. The loss of Black Sludge will not be noticed since you're spamming Regenerator + Giga Drain anyway, which are more than enough to maintain Amo's bulk.

Tapu Fini should probably adjust its evs to it can jump 208 (which should only require 8 or 12 speed evs iirc) to ensure it can jump 0 speed Rotom-W, as well as secure the win vs other min speed Fini (which might not be as likely, but hey).

Aside from this, team is good n' consistent. I was hoping to use this before you RMT it actually, because Scarf Heatran looks wicked fun to play with, as does CM Lele & Pinsir, but atlas I forgot to ask for this team before you RMT it. Ah well, good stuff Metamence! Keep it up! :-)

Hey, nice team u have there, faced you on the ladder with it and definetly noticed some weaknesses so I'd suggest you some changes
First of all, I'd suggest you Electrium Z>Fightinium Z on tapu lele for celesteela, both defense and offensive variant are a pain to deal with and heatran can't afford to switch in many times cause of the lack of recovery, also some celesteelas carry eq so this is definetly a problem
Misty and psychic terrains are both helping gengar to avoid sleep from amoonguss and quick attack from pinsir, so I'd propose Foul Play>Clear smog on amoonguss since you already have Lando and pinsir for mimikyu, foul play also can OHKO +2 landorus after rocks and hits gengar for decent damages
Close combat>Eq is also an option on pinsir since hp fire+cc kills ferro, and koko isn't that much of an issue thanks to amoonguss/lando
Hope that I helped !

Hey MetaMnce, very nice team! However, I've found some weaknesses and the most annoying one is against set-up sweepers such as Volcarona and DD Gyarados which can easily find set-up opportunities on Tapu Fini and Heatran respectively and then, your only form of speed control in Scarf Heatran, isn't able to revenge kill them and is KOed by HP Ground and Waterfall respectively. The fact that your team is slow also lets it weaker to faster wallbreakers such as Greninja, particularly Protean since can hit your entire team effectively, and Gengar. Defensively, your team is extremely annoyed by Celesteela which can take on every pokemons in your team (bar Heatran) and heal up thanks to its Leech Seed. At all, your team has troubles against fast Offensive teams and some forms of Balance teams.

Something else I would say about your team concerns one of your pokemon of choice : Tapu Lele. While being useful to hit Steel types decently hard, it can create a redurancy since it blocks priority moves, unabling Pinsir to revenge kill faster pokemons than it, making your team even weaker ro fast 'mons. So, my rate will be mostly focused on covering those issues.

--->
&
--->
|Change Tapu Lele to Specs Ash-Greninja & change Defensive Landorus-T to Rockium Z|

Running Ash-Greninja over Tapu Lele adds some speed to the team, giving you a way to beat pokemons such as Gengar a lot more easily and thus, improves your matchup against Offensive teams. The added priority is also very useful since it can help you to finish pokemons or to put them in the KO range of another one. On it, I'd run U-Turn, allowing you to force out Grass Types to get free switches into M-Pinsir. However, the replacement of Tapu Lele makes your team weaker to Skarmory and Celesteela. This is where Rockium Z Landorus-T enters since it can beat them with a +2 Continental Crush, helping a lot M-Pinsir and Ash-Greninja to do their job.

--->
&
--->
|Change Scarf Heatran to Scarf Keldeo & change Tapu Fini to Mew|

Running Scarf Keldeo over Scarf Heatran gives you a solid way to revenge kill Volcarona at +1 as well as a solid switch-in to Greninja and other Dark Types. It also helps your team against other Fire Types such as Heatran which were annoying before. Not much else to say appart from that you should run the classic moveset in Hydro Pump / Scald / Secret Sword / Stone Edge. Mew gives you a more reliable defogger since it has recovery as well as Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, allowing it to put a pressure on them. In addition, it gives you a really solid switch-in to M-Medicham which is really hard to deal with. The 252 HP / 148 Def / 52 SpD / 56 Spe allows you to not be 2HKOed by an Electric Terrain boosted Thunder Punch from Adamant M-Medicham, as well as non Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump.

Close Combat : Close Combat allows you to hit Steel Types super effectively, allowing you to still beat Celesteela and Skarmory if you have already used the Rock Z-Move on Landorus and also hits Ferrothorn super effectively and still hits Heatran pretty hard.

I also agree with
Shurtugal concerning the Occa Berry > Black Sludge on Amoonguss for switching into Fire Type moves.

Summary
--->

:
--->

--->

---->

: Earthquake ---> Close Combat
:
--->
(Shurtugal's change)

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 52 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

I hope this rate will help you. Good luck n_n

Last edited:
Hey MetaMnce, very nice team! However, I've found some weaknesses and the most annoying one is against set-up sweepers such as Volcarona and DD Gyarados which can easily find set-up opportunities on Tapu Fini and Heatran respectively and then, your only form of speed control in Scarf Heatran, isn't eble to revenge kill them and is KOed by HP Ground and Waterfall respectively. The fact that your team is slow also lets it weaker to faster wallbreakers such as Greninja, particularly Protean since can hit your entire team effectively, and Gengar. Defensively, your team is extremely annoyed by Celesteela which can take on every pokemons in your team (bar Heatran) and heal up thanks to its Leech Seed. At all, your team has troubles against fast Offensive teams and some forms of Balance teams.

Something else I would say about your team concerns one of your pokemon of choice : Tapu Lele. While being useful to hit Steel types decently hard, it can create a redurancy since it blocks priority moves, unabling Pinsir to revenge kill faster pokemons than it, making your team even weaker ro fast 'mons. So, my rate will be mostly focused on covering those issues.

--->
&
--->
|Change Tapu Lele to Specs Ash-Greninja & change Defensive Landorus-T to Rockium Z|

Running Ash-Greninja over Tapu Lele adds some speed to the team, giving you a way to beat pokemons such as Gengar a lot more easily and thus, improves your matchup against Offensive teams. The added priority is also very useful since it can help you to finish pokemons or to put them in the KO range of another one. On it, I'd run U-Turn, allowing you to force out Grass Types to get free switches into M-Pinsir. However, the replacement of Tapu Lele makes your team weaker to Skarmory and Celesteela. This is where Rockium Z Landorus-T enters since it can beat them with a +2 Continental Crush, helping a lot M-Pinsir and Ash-Greninja to do their job.

--->
&
--->
|Change Scarf Heatran to Scarf Keldeo and change Tapu Fini to Mew|

Running Scarf Keldeo over Scarf Heatran gives you a solid way to revenge kill Volcarona at +1 as well as a solid switch-in to Greninja and other Dark Types. It also helps your team against other Fire Types such as Heatran which were annoying before. Not much else to say appart from that you should run the classic moveset in Hydro Pump / Scald / Secret Sword / Stone Edge. Mew gives you a more reliable defogger since it has recovery as well as Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, allowing it to put a pressure on them. In addition, it gives you a really solid switch-in to M-Medicham which is really hard to deal with. The 252 HP / 148 Def / 52 SpD / 56 Spe allows you to not be 2HKOed by an Electric Terrain boosted Thunder Punch from Adamant M-Medicham, as well as non Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump.

Close Combat : Close Combat allows you to hit Steel Types super effectively, allowing you to still beat Celesteela and Skarmory if you have already used the Rock Z-Move on Landorus and also hits Ferrothorn super effectively and still hits Heatran pretty hard.

I also agree with
Shurtugal concerning the Occa Berry > Black Sludge on Amoonguss for switching into Fire Type moves.

Summary
--->

:
--->

--->

---->

:
--->
(Shurtugal's change)

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Mew @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Ok lol, the changes you proposed completely changes the dynamic of the team and it create more problemes that what it solve. First of all, your new team is basically 6-0ed by zard x since it can set up on amoonguss, keldeo and mew and just need one hit off on lando to clean the entire team, zard y wins 1v1 against all of the team, taunt tapu lele literally clicks buttons and nothing stop it, venusaur cant die unless pinsir comes on the field, but ur defoger is mew that is extremely passive and lose 1v1 to almost every stealth rocker.. my point is, don't try to fix some weaknesses that the team can handle (for exemple medicham:it's easy to pivot around cause of intimidate, amoonguss, double fight resists etc) cause no team is perfect and u can't check everything, but the initial version of his team is honestly better in the actual metagame than . I won't write that much but "rate my team" is about understand what the team is builded around and try to propose some sets/mons that can do the same things as the ones in the original team but in a better way in the actual metagame, changing 4 mons/6 is ovbviously to much in my opinion lol

Ok lol, the changes you proposed completely changes the dynamic of the team and it create more problemes that what it solve. First of all, your new team is basically 6-0ed by zard x since it can set up on amoonguss, keldeo and mew and just need one hit off on lando to clean the entire team, zard y wins 1v1 against all of the team, taunt tapu lele literally clicks buttons and nothing stop it, venusaur cant die unless pinsir comes on the field, but ur defoger is mew that is extremely passive and lose 1v1 to almost every stealth rocker.. my point is, don't try to fix some weaknesses that the team can handle (for exemple medicham:it's easy to pivot around cause of intimidate, amoonguss, double fight resists etc) cause no team is perfect and u can't check everything, but the initial version of his team is honestly better in the actual metagame than . I won't write that much but "rate my team" is about understand what the team is builded around and try to propose some sets/mons that can do the same things as the ones in the original team but in a better way in the actual metagame, changing 4 mons/6 is ovbviously to much in my opinion lol
Zard X doesn't set-up on Amoonguss because of Spore and if it attacks it will live the hit thanks to Occa Berry and it never sets up on Keldeo. It can set-up on Mew but Landorus is a pretty solid way to deal with it and Zard X isn't really good in the actual meta anyways. Zard Y is one of the reason why Occa Amoonguss is here and it is constanly pressured by M-Pinsir and Ash-Gren (which can also U-Turn into M-Pinsir/Keldeo). Taunt Tapu Lele can be a poblem for the defensive stuffs of the team but is also constanly pressured by the offensive ones and Scarf Lele isn't a very common set and is handled by Mew and Landorus-T can take a hit and retaliate. M-Venusaur isn't very good and can be quickly overwhelmed by M-Pinsir and SD Lando. M-Medicham can, of course be handled but it's still hard to pivot around since the opponent can just predict the switch and also, it cheaps away the team, which can be a problem in late game. I'm just adding a safer way to deal with it and it's mainly here because it's a more durable defogger, dealing with physical attacker with Will-O-Wisp and its good bulk is a real plus. Every weaknesses that you listed are manageable. So, I don't really see the problem with my rate since I also preserve the goal of the team in helping Pinsir to break with something that beats Steel types in Landorus-T, and both can overload physical bulk.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey MetaMnce, very nice team! However, I've found some weaknesses and the most annoying one is against set-up sweepers such as Volcarona and DD Gyarados which can easily find set-up opportunities on Tapu Fini and Heatran respectively and then, your only form of speed control in Scarf Heatran, isn't able to revenge kill them and is KOed by HP Ground and Waterfall respectively. The fact that your team is slow also lets it weaker to faster wallbreakers such as Greninja, particularly Protean since can hit your entire team effectively, and Gengar. Defensively, your team is extremely annoyed by Celesteela which can take on every pokemons in your team (bar Heatran) and heal up thanks to its Leech Seed. At all, your team has troubles against fast Offensive teams and some forms of Balance teams.

--->
&
--->

--->
&
--->
|Change Scarf Heatran to Scarf Keldeo & change Tapu Fini to Mew|

I also agree with

Summary
--->

:
--->

--->

---->

:
--->
(Shurtugal's change)

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Mew @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

These changes don't fix anything you highlighted. Your changes don't fix Protean Greninja, as nothing can switch in at all. DD Z Fly Gyarados is still a threat, too. You mention that his team is weak against balance teams but he has a lele + sd pinsir?

The beauty of is team is using z move lele to lure down celesteela and using scarf heatran to lure in potentially dangerous fast threats and remove them; by using Scarf Keldeo you lose the strength of the shock value which cannot be understated. You name Protean Greninja as a threat, but switching scarf heatran into ice beam or gunk shot can allow it to pick it off easily as most players will not predict scarf on heatran. Lele can also bluff Scarf as well, which can pressure offensive teams.

Changing 4+ pokemon on a team changes its identity and the team just is not the same after all these changes. In trying to make it better you completely changed how the team is played and that is not what a rater is supposed to do.

Not to say your changes are bad or that they do not work, but it changes the team too much. You trade the volcarona weakness for a Zard y and Zard x weakness. By making landorus more offensive you lose uturn pivoting and overall defensive utility (sd exca can be annoying in sand for ex.), without lele stall is actually a harder matchup since lele is actually a lot better at wallbreaking for obvious reasons (dugtrio is another thing scarf heatran lures btw). It is almost as if you rated the team purely by looking at it rather than using it...

But congrats on rate of the week

This team is 100% Perfect and idk why People make suggestions for this team. The mentioned threats can be played around Somehow but for me, Kyurem-B and Mega Charizard Y are the greatest threats for this team. I am not experienced in SM OU but I can say that by just looking this team. Kyurem-B has no actual switch ins so you have to play against Kyu-B carefully. But you can somehow Counterplay Mega Charizard Y by using Heatran. Use Mega Pinsir and set up before Kyu-B or Zard Y comes in, Then kill it. Or carefully play it with Heatran. I am dumb in OU so I can be wrong. Good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)