approved by monotype forum mods
inspired by this and
this

interview.png

i made this myself

Monotype Interviews #2 - Attribute

:pmd/mudkip: royal :pmd/mudkip: | :pmd/buizel: Attribute :pmd/buizel:

:pmd/mudkip:
First of all thanks for doing this, would you mind telling us a bit about yourself?

:pmd/buizel:
Yep of course. My name is Attribute, I'm a 22 year old male living in California currently finishing up college, studying Civil Engineering. Outside of Pokemon, I'm a big fan of the animated stuff Star Wars has to offer, follow a little bit of basketball, and watching random things that happen to interest me on YouTube. Also love listening to music, specifically R&B, Rap, and Pop

How did you get the name attribute? I also hadn't thought about this until today, but is it attribute like a quality or attribute like the reason something happened? As in, how are we supposed to pronounce it lol.

I suppose you can say quality. The name comes from Bakugan, and is essentially what the elements are called for each Bakugan. It's similar to Pokemon types if you wanna think about it like that. As far as pronunciation goes, I guess you pronounce it like a noun

Ok good because that's how I've been pronouncing it in my head lol. How long have you been a part of the monotype community, and how did you first get involved?

I've been apart of the monotype community for about 10 years now. In 2014 when I first got into PS, I mostly just talked in the lobby and did a lot of OU laddering. One day someone who also talked in the lobby frequently linked some side server and my curious 12 year old self clicked in an instant. This side server was pretty much 90% monotype, so naturally I got into Monotype like that, started playing it a lot, met some people (some of whom I can still call my friends till this day) along the way, and the rest is history

That's pretty awesome, I don't know if you remember but I got into monotype because of the flutter mane suspect and stayed because I had so much fun using the team you gave me. Do you have a favorite monotype / ps moment that sticks out to you in particular?

Oh that's a hard one. As far as what I can remember, the most fun I've had on PS was playing mafia in some private room consisting of mostly Monotype users in 2019 or so. It was a combination of sweatiness and fun, especially since those games happened frequently. It was pretty much an endless supply of entertainment at the time

That sounds like fun, I've always wanted to try mafia but it has always been a bit too confusing to me and unfortunately I missed out on the April Fools Day event in the mono room. speaking of April Fools Day, if you were to be the tier leader for a day, what would you do? What about in an older generation?

If I was a tier leader for the day, I'm not entirely sure what I would do in regards to SV Monotype but as far as older generations go, I'd probably ban Moltres-Galar, Kyurem, Aegislash, Tapu-Lele, Spectrier, and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (there's probably more I'm forgetting but that's all that came to mind) in SS just to see how it goes. In SM I'd for sure ban Kommo-o and never look back; it's broken for sure. I probably wouldn't touch ORAS at all, and I'd probably unban Latios in BW

I don't have too much experience with past generations of monotype, so it is pretty interesting to hear that Pokemon like Spectrier and Moltres Galar are banworthy. Do you have any advice for some newer players? What about anyone who is hoping to play in their first MPL?

As far as improving in Pokemon goes, it is essential to play as many games as you can. It is important to note though that you must play with a purpose, and you cannot simply just grind games while not putting any thought into them and assume you're just getting better as you keep going just cause you're getting the reps in. In my eyes, if you are trying to improve, every game you play should at least try to replicate a tournament game environment, such as always having the timer on and putting as much thought into those games as you would for any meaningful game. For starters, asking questions like "what would happen if I click this move" or "what happens if I switch to this mon" is a good way to condition yourself into thinking in a beneficial manner. Also, watching top players play their games and paying attention to what moves they click, as well as trying to figure out what move you think should be click and trying to make reason of everything going on is a fine exercise that can be used for learning. Lastly, taking accountability is a pretty important. Not blaming every loss on factors such as luck or match up can go a long way, as there is always room for improvement. There's probably a lot more that can go into the whole "how do I get better" discussion but these concepts are what first came to mind. In regards to people trying to trying to get into their first MPL, I highly suggest playing as many of the circuit tournaments as you can. Lots of managers search for current generation talent, so standing out there is always gonna give you a good shot. Being an active builder will strengthen your chances as well, as CG building is highly valued for all MPL teams. Showing that you know what you're doing whether its just from talking in public spaces or perhaps in tryouts may also help

That's great advice, something I learned when I started playing monotype is that you have to view the battle as a whole, so asking questions like you said is very important. Is there a team that you think encapsulates your style of play best that you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

https://pokepast.es/984cc28d06320f5c [SS Monotype]
I'm pretty much a sucker for Bulky Offense, and this team fits the bill. This team is probably one my favorite teams I've built and is for sure one of my favorite teams to use whenever I play this gen. It's a bit known by now, but I'm a big believer of trying not to have all of my mon's sets be guessed at team preview whenever I build a team I plan on using for a game, and the element of surprise mostly lied on offensive Celesteela, as well as, but to a lesser extent, AV TornT with Grass Knot and Specs Zapdos as they weren't used much or weren't used at all at the time this team was made. As far as the team goes, most match ups are doable, and I'm also a big believer of using things that are reliable enough to let me to outplay through any given match up, and something like Flying, which is a top 2 type at worst in SS, allows me to do just that. There's a lot of ways to make progress against opposing teams and the defensive core is solid enough to cover most things, allowing me to feel "in control" while also being able to be aggressive with the tools I have

It's pretty interesting to see a Flying-type team without any Heavy Duty Boots users, it seems incredibly difficult to pilot but the sets are all really cool. Alright, second to last bit of questions, just gonna rapid fire some simple ones at you before we wrap up.

1. favorite pokemon?

2. favorite smogon tournament to play in?

3. are you a fan of any sports? if so, who is your favorite player / team?

4. favorite food?

1. Lucario, Buizel is a close second though

2. Tough Question but I'll always appreciate any type of team tournament where activity is likely to be high, so things like MPL, UUPL, RUPL and so on will always be my favorite type of tours to participate in

3. I like Basketball, my favorite player is Russell Westbrook so whatever team he may be on, I'll root for them

4. Japanese or Chinese food, I can't really decide but those are 1 and 2 for sure

Those are all great answers, I never you were interested in basketball either. Well, those are all the questions I have, thanks so much for your time. Before we end, is there anybody you would like to give a shoutout to? any friends or teammates you've met along the way? anybody you think is up and coming?

Firstly, shoutouts to WoA; one of my first group of friends I've had on the site that I still talk to even if the discord server nowadays isn't as active anymore. Rhyps and Pandas, both of which started off as a team server ended up being a friend server, lots of fun memories happened there. Special shoutout to Isza, who's one of the first Monotype players I've looked up to when I first started out back in the day and the first person to truly believe in me as a player, and encouraged me to branch out, allowing me to grow as a player and builder. Another special shoutout to lax who is also someone who believed in me, has given me opportunities in the big stage and is a player I still look up to on occasion (washed). Lastly, shoutout to the lower tier community, specifically UU, which I've only been active in for less than a year and I've already met some cool people. As for Monotype players I think are up and coming, so probably players who haven't participated in an MPL yet, I'm gonna have to go with TTK, FadedCharm, and Elyoss. I was TTK's manager this past MWP and was pretty impressed with what was shown. He was open to playing whatever the team needed, and said "The Strap will win with whatever I pass him" when he had to play a different tier and man did I applaud that confidence lmao. FadedCharm, from what I see, is someone who really just wants to get better at the game, and does a lot of grinding to try and get better, something I can appreciate as that's not something you'll always see from people nowadays. Lastly, Elyoss isn't really someone I know, but they're someone I've heard good things about. I hear they're a really hard worker, and put in a good amount of effort for their games. I remember this past MWCOP, despite their team being out, they wanted to play despite the week being over cause they spent a lot of time on their team. Who doesn't love that? They're also currently doing well in NDMPL, so even more reason to think they're up and coming. Thank you for having me!

~~~

This thread will remain open in case anyone would like to ask Attribute any further questions. If you have an idea for who you would like to be interviewed next, please don't hesitate to let me know!​

Last edited:

maki

uri duri naranhi
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
what was your favorite team tour experience in a mono tour and why is ss your favorite generation!

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
Top 3 favorite types to play (we are a bit similar in playing style since we both like BO)

1. Top 3 types in every monotype generation BW - SV
2. Didn't know you watched basketball, besides clippers (I assume) who do you think will win the championship
3. Top 10 mono players of all time
4. If you could bring back three mono players to make a comeback who would you choose and why
5. Do you plan to get into any SV tiers besides monotype

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
what was your favorite team tour experience in a mono tour and why is ss your favorite generation!
Probably MPL8 with the Neverland Nidqueens cause that was probably the most active team chat I have ever been apart of in a Monotype team tour that isn't named Mono WCOP. I don't know if SS is actually my favorite generation but I can appreciate the lack of tera or z-moves. People say its boring and while that may be true I can appreciate long games from time to time so it's not really boring to me

ur life on the line, bo3 mono gens, who u picking to play for u and explain why? (u cant say urself)
For specifically a multigen bo3, Trichotomy or Chaitanya cause they actually know what they're doing in oldgens. I would include mushamu but he would bring a Huntail in SM or something, leading to my life coming to an end

seeing as you are so awful at brawl stars, which ps turned bs player do you look up to when trying to improve your game
Not sure but it definitely wouldn't be you bro you are ASS

Top 3 favorite types to play (we are a bit similar in playing style since we both like BO)
I'm gonna assume you're talking about either SV or SS, so it would go something like this for the following:
SV: Dark / Dragon (Maybe Steel over this) / Fire
SS: Dark / Dragon / Flying
If I had to pick a favorite for SV it's for sure Dark, the rest are kind of whatever. In SS it's kind of close but my favorite is probably Flying

1. Top 3 types in every monotype generation BW - SV
2. Didn't know you watched basketball, besides clippers (I assume) who do you think will win the championship
3. Top 10 mono players of all time
4. If you could bring back three mono players to make a comeback who would you choose and why
5. Do you plan to get into any SV tiers besides monotype
1. In terms of what I think is good in no particular order (favorite to use is tough):
SV: Steel / Dark / Flying
SS: Flying / Dragon / Steel
SM: Psychic / Flying / Water
ORAS: Dark / Ground / Normal
BW: Psychic / Ground / Flying

2. Either Nuggets or 76ers

3. This is kind of a tough one cause I think being good now is a lot more meaningful than being good in like 2019 or whatever. If I were to go based off of what I have seen from mostly a pure playing perspective and not so much with the "accolades are everything" mindset, I am left with this (in alphabetical order):

1 True Lycan - Not playing for the past 3(?) years kind of hurts him a little bit but I'm pretty confident he'd still be doing well even if he was playing today. He was just all around solid, never really made mistakes, what else can you ask for?
Chaitanya - The answer to Lycan when he was actually playing. Probably Monotype's first top player to truly play like an asshole. Underrated builder
dahli - Not in here because of their 9-1 MPL run but their MPL's after that, especially this latest one, which was filled with really well played games (in my opinion their best tour). Known for their insane SM winrate but were great in other gens too (SS and BW come to mind)
DugZa - I've seen them play some pretty good games tbh. One of the newer players on the list but they're definitely up here at this point. Has cool takes in some of the oldgens, and I think people forget that they've had their fair share of circuit tour wins. Creative builder
Floss - Similar to the previous player, another example of being good now > back then. I've had the opportunity to team with him this past MWP and their games were really well played imo. One of the main driving forces of the SS metagame when it was CG
Leru (Larry) - LMAO okay this might be a stretch but whatever I kind of ran out of ideas. Not really putting him here cause of the 9-0 run in that one MWP but because of that one MPL I teamed with him in in 2020 where his games were pretty impressive at the time. He got trashed in Mono Cup but making playoffs there while not playing Monotype for a long time was cool. Great eye for teambuilding when he wasn't trolling
mushamu - He farmed everyone that one year in circuit. And I mean... farmed. Pushed SV/SS a significant amount and farmed everyone cause no one had an answer to it. Prone to tilting but when he isn't tilted his ceiling is pretty high. Also plays like an asshole. One of the more creative builders out there (he be buggin the fuck out sometimes though...)
Sabella - The player who has played the most out of everyone on this list. Farmed BW for a long period of time. His records may not be as good as it once was but it's not like he's playing bad or anything, shit just happens sometimes. Known for BW but I'm sure they'd do great in other gens if they care to do so
TheThorn - One of the people who rivaled Lycan in 2018. They didn't play too much but they were good, and it showed in officials as well. Creative builder, really admired how he learned BW mid tour and just started putting his own flavor to it (with success!). Not having played for ~6 years definitely hurts him though
Trichotomy - If you combine Lycan and Chait, you basically get Trichotomy. Earlier I said mushamu farms people in italics, but to describe Trich's farming, it would have to be in bold, italicized, underlined, and size 18 font
Honorable mentions:
Eien - I don't think Eien was ever the strongest player out there but the dude was really smart, and well, being smart gets you places
Zukushiku - I didn't really watch him play but I figured a mention of some sort is warranted

I probably forgot about some people but this is what came to mind first so lol. That's what you get! I like questions like these so I decided to go a little bit in depth cause it's an interesting topic for sure

4. People I'd like to see come back:
wanka - One of the most entertaining players to watch when he was around cause you never knew what you were gonna get with him. High pop off potential
Eien - I wanna see what Eien cooks up in the builder nowadays. Would be an interesting sight for sure and they were one of the more interesting/unique competitors
Ridley - They kicked my ass in test games back in the day so I'd like to see what they can do in the present

5. I currently play SV UU and I enjoy building/playing it. As for the other tiers, hell na lmao

how does it feel to know russ is gonna lose in 4 to mavs
clipps in 6. yall getting cooked in the play in lil bro

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Who would you consider to be your sensei that is simultaneously the most handsome pokemon player?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)