(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

God I absolutely loathe Armarouge and Ceruledge’s shiny colors. They could have easily made their colors swap with one another, a Purple Armarouge and orange Ceruledge would be perfection, or even making them a white and black knight respectively. But nah, just change the tiny flames on their eyes, that’s an excellent idea /s
I agree. If they wanted to recolor them without recoloring the rest of their body too much, the least they could have done was to recolor all their flames to match the eye recolors, but nope! They recolored the eyes, and nothing else.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Verdanturf and Fallarbor Towns sure are nice. Quite, peaceful, rural, beautiful, exactly the kind of towns I would want to live (ignore the part where I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Hoenn besides maybe Shoal Cave because it's too damn hot). You know what they need?

A BATTLE TENT FOR HIGH-SKILLED POKEMON BATTLING TO SERVE AS ADVERTISEMENT FOR A HUGE COMPLEX OUT IN THE OCEAN DEDICATED SOLELY FOR BATTLE OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE. WOW EPIC!

Fuck you, NPC who says the Battle Tent is the only reason anyone would visit Verdanturf. I want to visit there to find housing so that I am no longer visiting.

With how invasive the Battle Tents feel (except in Slateport, it feels correct there), the Battle Frontier being aggressively unwelcoming to casual players, and Scott having very shady undertones (one of the NPCs in the Frontier even wonders if Scott had some ulterior motive for building the place), I can't help but feel that the whole thing was designed to be... not evil, but like, corruptive of what Pokemon is supposed to be. Like you were supposed to pick up on the cognative dissonence between "have fun with your Pokemon friends" and "optimize or perish" and choose not to engage with the Frontier at all. But then why even put in the game in the first place?

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario
Verdanturf and Fallarbor Towns sure are nice. Quite, peaceful, rural, beautiful, exactly the kind of towns I would want to live (ignore the part where I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Hoenn besides maybe Shoal Cave because it's too damn hot). You know what they need?

A BATTLE TENT FOR HIGH-SKILLED POKEMON BATTLING TO SERVE AS ADVERTISEMENT FOR A HUGE COMPLEX OUT IN THE OCEAN DEDICATED SOLELY FOR BATTLE OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE. WOW EPIC!

Fuck you, NPC who says the Battle Tent is the only reason anyone would visit Verdanturf. I want to visit there to find housing so that I am no longer visiting.

With how invasive the Battle Tents feel (except in Slateport, it feels correct there), the Battle Frontier being aggressively unwelcoming to casual players, and Scott having very shady undertones (one of the NPCs in the Frontier even wonders if Scott had some ulterior motive for building the place), I can't help but feel that the whole thing was designed to be... not evil, but like, corruptive of what Pokemon is supposed to be. Like you were supposed to pick up on the cognative dissonence between "have fun with your Pokemon friends" and "optimize or perish" and choose not to engage with the Frontier at all. But then why even put in the game in the first place?
I mean that’s just a consequence of changing almost all of the contest halls into battle tents, which I never got for almost 20 years why they did that

I mean that’s just a consequence of changing almost all of the contest halls into battle tents, which I never got for almost 20 years why they did that
I mean it's kind of annoying in RS having to Fly to each one whenever you want to take on a series of Contests, plus I think it makes sense to have some kind of intro to the concepts of the Battle Frontier before you're thrown in the deep end.
I feel like the point of the dissonance was to create that casual/intense distinction in the player's mind. The Frontier feels so different from the rest of the game in so many ways that it's very easy to compartmentalise it and set it aside if you aren't interested in it, without feeling like you're leaving the game incomplete.

I think that the main functionality of the Battle Tents by themselves are to show off the gimmick formats, similarly to the guy in gen 6 who does inverse battles. While they could also serve as introductions to the Frontier style of battling, I don't think that the Verdanturf and Fallarbor ones picked the right facilities to mirror. Slateport as the Factory works great as an intro: you can experience the way battles are performed and some of the AI sets without requiring anything of the player's ingame team. But I'd go with either the Pike or the Pyramid as the next best for someone working through the main game, due to their dungeon crawling and health management aspects being more common during the story than elsewhere in the frontier. Maybe they didn't fit inside tents? Verdanturf as a Palace mirror is especially bizarre: the only ingame hints you have about how move selection works are in the Frontier itself.

While I'm here, I might as well lament the absence of another Frontier facility. For me, one of the most jarring differences between ingame (including Facilities) and PvP in current gens is handling Team Preview and, for the official formats, selecting less than all mons (I really haven't adapted to the latter. I would play Battle Spot Triples (RIP) with Singles-designed teams because they were 6v6 Singles-designed teams, darn it). The Battle Dome did a version of this years before it was adopted by the official formats, and I think that having a Dome reworked to mirror the team selection of those formats would be great for competitive onboarding for people like me.

The thing I find odd about Emerald removing the contest halls is the fact that in the Anime the Contests aren't suggested to have classes like this, just different cities hosting them at particular times. I would have assumed Emerald's solution to be letting you compete in every difficulty at each contest hall, since at that point the limiting factor is simply what Pokemon you can compete with (stuff like Feebas->Milotic for Beauty being a lategame appearance) and how easily you have access to stuff like Berries to make Pokeblocks.

I mean it's kind of annoying in RS having to Fly to each one whenever you want to take on a series of Contests, plus I think it makes sense to have some kind of intro to the concepts of the Battle Frontier before you're thrown in the deep end.
While I will admit that both Emerald’s and ORAS’s approaches to Contest Halls were better for overall convenience, I always liked the sense of progression that the original approach in Ruby & Sapphire had. The next rank of Contest being located at an upcoming town on the map made them feel like more of a parallel circuit to Gyms.

While I will admit that both Emerald’s and ORAS’s approaches to Contest Halls were better for overall convenience, I always liked the sense of progression that the original approach in Ruby & Sapphire had. The next rank of Contest being located at an upcoming town on the map made them feel like more of a parallel circuit to Gyms.
That's fair! I also kinda liked the theming of having the two highest ranks at the two port cities (iirc there's even an NPC on the SS Tidal who says they travel back and forth regularly to participate in elite Contests).

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I think that the main functionality of the Battle Tents by themselves are to show off the gimmick formats, similarly to the guy in gen 6 who does inverse battles. While they could also serve as introductions to the Frontier style of battling, I don't think that the Verdanturf and Fallarbor ones picked the right facilities to mirror. Slateport as the Factory works great as an intro: you can experience the way battles are performed and some of the AI sets without requiring anything of the player's ingame team. But I'd go with either the Pike or the Pyramid as the next best for someone working through the main game, due to their dungeon crawling and health management aspects being more common during the story than elsewhere in the frontier. Maybe they didn't fit inside tents? Verdanturf as a Palace mirror is especially bizarre: the only ingame hints you have about how move selection works are in the Frontier itself.
Eh, as you say the dungeon crawling aspect IS how the main campaign is played, so it's not really mixing things up that much to have a Battle Tent mimic the Pike or Pyramid imo. Straightforward consecutive battling challenges are more of a novelty, the games don't have anything like that in the main story. The Arena the Factory are the two facilities that definitely benefit from having introductory versions, though I agree the Palace's approximation is stupid. For an experience broadly similar to the Pike/Pyramid, there's always Trainer Hill and the Trick House.

Best of both worlds: Have contest halls all cities, but you can't play later ranks until you beat earlier ones
Also having aesthetic BG changes for the contest
How is that the best of both worlds? It's just redundant. It'd be like if all eight gyms were in the same building in eight different towns.

Last edited:
For being an English as second language-person. I am unable to imagine how large the Pokémon are and still as for today, because in my experience, my english language copies' measurement are all imperials.
Not gonna make fun of Americans, but I wish the english copies can opt using metric system. So I can finally know how many meters long Onix are if I glance it on in-game Pokedex.

what's annoying? The lack of liechi berry in RSE. Wait no, I found mirage Island :)
I don't know what's worse:
  • Liechi Berry being found only on an island whose access is rarer than a full-odds Shiny,
  • Apicot/Ganlon/Petaya/Salac Berries being exclusive to Orre's Mt. Battle at higher costs than Leftovers + a late-game TM, or
  • These Berries being transfer/event-only in Generation IV
For being an English as second language-person. I am unable to imagine how large the Pokémon are and still as for today, because in my experience, my english language copies' measurement are all imperials.
Not gonna make fun of Americans, but I wish the english copies can opt using metric system. So I can finally know how many meters long Onix are if I glance it on in-game Pokedex.
French person here. Metric/Imperial measurements should be an option, like battle animations, dialogue window frames, hiragana/kanji mode, and autosave.

I don't know what's worse:
  • Liechi Berry being found only on an island whose access is rarer than a full-odds Shiny,
  • Apicot/Ganlon/Petaya/Salac Berries being exclusive to Orre's Mt. Battle at higher costs than Leftovers + a late-game TM, or
  • These Berries being transfer/event-only in Generation IV

French person here. Metric/Imperial measurements should be an option, like battle animations, dialogue window frames, hiragana/kanji mode, and autosave.
I mean if you're French, just play it in French? The non-English languages use metrics measurements.

I mean if you're French, just play it in French? The non-English languages use metrics measurements.
Problem is many people like me rather just play in English.

Outside of if one likes the localization or not (I personally just hate playing anything in Italian if i can avoid it, the only two games I play in Italian are World of Warcraft and League of Legends and that's purely cause i like the voicing, otherwise i'd play in english), there's the issue that you constantly have to translate moves, items and abilities whenever looking up something online, as well as sometimes having the hassle of having pokemon with different names (particularly obnoxious for Paradoxes this generation since even languages with usually English-matching names have unique ones).
It's just a pointless hassle.

Thus I do kinda see their point about "why can't we just have the option to pick metric/imperial".

Then again, these games also don't let you swap language for some godforsaken reason, despite having all the languages available on the cart so...

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Problem is many people like me rather just play in English.

Outside of if one likes the localization or not (I personally just hate playing anything in Italian if i can avoid it, the only two games I play in Italian are World of Warcraft and League of Legends and that's purely cause i like the voicing, otherwise i'd play in english), there's the issue that you constantly have to translate moves, items and abilities whenever looking up something online, as well as sometimes having the hassle of having pokemon with different names (particularly obnoxious for Paradoxes this generation since even languages with usually English-matching names have unique ones).
It's just a pointless hassle.

Thus I do kinda see their point about "why can't we just have the option to pick metric/imperial".

Then again, these games also don't let you swap language for some godforsaken reason, despite having all the languages available on the cart so...

Mm I play games with voice acting in Japanese (with English subtitles, e.g BotW, TotK) cos I love the voice acting of the Japanese much better.

Unless Pokemon gets Voice Acting (with subs) I’ll stick with English. A metric/imperial option would be nice though, considering a vast majority of the English speaking world uses metric units and beyond the common range of human sizes (more height than weight in my experience), they have little to no idea what these units are.

e.g Snorlax at 1014 lbs I have literally no idea how to define that without an online conversion.

I was going to say that I'd prefer the games default to metric even in english, that way US kids would learn the metric units and maybe in 20-50 years we could finally ditch this imperial BS, but then I remembered how accurate the Pokemon sizes are.

Anyways, 1 lb = 2 kilos, 1 meter = 3 feet or 1 yard, 1 mile = 1.5 kilometers, 4 liters = 1 gallon, Cx2+30=F. The average person shouldn't need more precision than that for most uses.

As a french people I find It Just straight up useless to keep The imperial system existing(at least in pokemon games). No reason to use It And basically makes No sense. All conversions are average And bro why "lb" when prononced "pound". I generally play in french but Will play in english in order to Masuda via pokemon home And Is very annoying on pokemon cards not to have The data of that Good looking pokemon. And like why should All The engkish versions use imperial If USA Is The only country using It? At least everyone should learn It anw. Learning a 100% intuitive And logic thing to 360 000 000 people Is not Even that dramatically hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 12)