SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

the fact that only wo-chien and chi-yu were found by this leaker (so far maybe), which are the exact opposite of chien-pao and ting-lu being revealed by centro, also at the same time, leads me to believe these exist as version exclusive pairs. do we even know which mons are confirmed to be version exclusives, aside from ceruledge, miraidon, and every paradox mon?

Some new moveset additions that I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
Golduck Power Gem (seems like a solid coverage option)
Torkoal Flare Blitz (only had Flame Wheel, Flame Charge and Heat Crash as physical Fire stab moves before)
Hariyama Headlong Rush (neat new option)
Eelektross Close Combat (neat new option)

Sawsbuck also got some physical moves that are affected by Serene Grace; Zen Headbutt, Play Rough, and most importantly, Body Slam.

the fact that only wo-chien and chi-yu were found by this leaker (so far maybe), which are the exact opposite of chien-pao and ting-lu being revealed by centro, also at the same time, leads me to believe these exist as version exclusive pairs. do we even know which mons are confirmed to be version exclusives, aside from ceruledge, miraidon, and every paradox mon?
Not version exclusives. They just found some stakes for the moose.
Apparently the reason why Not!Chinese pokemon are in Not!Spain is, and I quote, "because the paldean king bought them from a mysterious far-eastern merchant and the king was such an asshole it gave life to these malevolent artefacts who started wrecking shit and needed to be sealed up."
Also Ruinous Quartet might be another name for them seeing as they are all the "Ruinous" Pokemon.

So out of curiosity how is "Chien" pronounced. Is it "chi-en", "chin" or maybe something else

Not version exclusives. They just found some stakes for the moose.
Apparently the reason why Not!Chinese pokemon are in Not!Spain is, and I quote, "because the paldean king bought them from a mysterious far-eastern merchant and the king was such an asshole it gave life to these malevolent artefacts who started wrecking shit and needed to be sealed up."
Also Ruinous Quartet might be another name for them seeing as they are all the "Ruinous" Pokemon.
I would have just assumed there'd be no explanation at all, like all the other cross-cultural legends in this series. That's great, love these dudes

Just bring up quickly that I'm still really early in the game, and so a lot of my options are limited concerning any testing. Also I'm probably not going to do every "is it 20% or 25% damage boost" request, though the Ruin abilities I'll be taking a look into.
yes! Please try to determine how the ruin abilities activate. Is it a activated debuff? Or an aura effect?

Can somebody Please test and confirm how much boost the paradox abilities give? Is it a hidden/natural boost or in battle boost like zacian's intrepid sword? If the ability is activated by the item boosting power does it stay active for the entire duration of the game, even switched out? Please confirm all these..

Some new moveset additions that I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
Golduck Power Gem (seems like a solid coverage option)
Torkoal Flare Blitz (only had Flame Wheel, Flame Charge and Heat Crash as physical Fire stab moves before)
Hariyama Headlong Rush (neat new option)
Eelektross Close Combat (neat new option)

Sawsbuck also got some physical moves that are affected by Serene Grace; Zen Headbutt, Play Rough, and most importantly, Body Slam.
I forget all the time Sawsbuck has Serene Grace. Body Slam may actually make it a viable lower tier fhreat. Paraflinch? Or just crippling with body slam paralysis.

I dunno if it still get Headbutt or w/e for flinching but I imagine this being annoying to face. Combo Leech Seed or something on top of the ParaFlinching. Ofc, switching helps but then you risk getting Body Slam para'd.

Not to say it'll be good or make Sawsbuck a staple, but still its interesting as its faster than Togekiss and only 5 points slower than Jirachi.

So everyone's favorite bird has a name. Squawkabilly. Apparently there are multiple forms with multiple abilities. Anyone know what the forms are called? Are they just different colors? One gets Sheer Force.
The white one was labeled as White Plumage in its Dex entry, and there's four total variants (white, green, blue, and yellow). Two of them get Guts as a Hidden Ability, and the other two get Sheer Force as you mentioned, but right now I don't think we know which get which.

stalagneton - magneton

the main issue with some of these names is that they could be confused with actually being directly connected to the mon theyre a paradox of
The main issue I see with this one in particular is it doesn't really cohere with Sandy Shocks's design. There's no stalagmites involved, and it's not even a Rock-type. It's a weird sort of caveman-like magnet creature with iron shavings for hair. With that in mind, I think the aforementioned idea of Cro-Magneton was pretty clever. (Though I've actually already adjusted to their canonical names.)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
After rumors there's not a Battle Tower or anything like that, I'm worried about the post game. Has anyone found a Battle Facility? This is just speculation, but my guess for where it would be is the Pokemon League.

View attachment 464655
How many Iron Fist users do we have in game?
Are Protective Pads not obtainable or can you still get them for some dumb reason even though they're outclassed now?
(I know it's probably not know yet. I'm just commenting on how Protective Pads apparently weren't a good enough item.)

depends on the hanzi its based on, though I'm going with chíen
If it helps, I think Ting-Lu comes from 鼎錄 dǐng lù (as in dinglu, a kind of tripod cauldron) and 鹿 (deer), the "Yu" part of Chi-Yu comes from 玉 (a precious stone or jade) and 魚 (fish), Chien-Pao comes from 劍 jian (sword) and 豹 bào (leopard) - I think they are meant to be pronounced like these words.
The Chien in Chien-Pao is sort of like shee-en, then, I think?
I don't know about Wo-Chien, though. I think I remember people tossing around "jianwo" as something snail-related before we knew its real name, but I don't think I ever found out what it was exactly. Khu had talked about the four of these as dinglu, yuyu, jianbao and jianwo before release, so their final names are definitely related to those!

Edit: last-minute commentary on Ting-Lu before we see its actual lore:
the combination of a bronze tripod cauldron and a deer is a reference to this work of literature,
in which the titular "cauldron" is a reference to the Nine Tripod Cauldrons that represent authority given to a ruler by the mandate of heaven, while the "deer" is an allusion to another iconic remark: "the Qin emperor lost his deer, and tianxia (all under heaven) chased after it."
The latter was to say that, uh,
- after the Qin dynasty fell, "all under heaven" scrambled to claim what used to belong to that dynasty ("the deer"),
- but here, tianxia is a pun, because the word literally means "all under heaven / every mortal" but it has taken on the meaning of political sovereigns instead - i.e. warlords, not the common people
Basically it says "the Qin dynasty fell, and all of the other warlords immediately started fighting to claim as much as possible of what they left behind," and the "deer" represents the common people getting caught up in this conflict
Here we have a Pokémon that's a tripod cauldron and a deer, or more specifically a deer (the common people) entrapped by a tripod cauldron (the heavenly mandate of rulers), in reference to this
so it's cool that these four seem to have some kind of grudge against this jerk king I've just heard about : D

The jade/fish pun is also meaningful - 玉 means a precious stone or jade, but 魚 means a fish
This is a common enough word association that fishes are considered symbolic of wealth, but especially goldfish (what we were told the new fish is) because of some other Chinese wordplay - the word for goldfish, "Jin yu," is a homophone of "gold in abundance," in addition to jin by itself meaning gold and yù by itself meaning jade (so goldfish is homophonous with two valuables)
The joke also works in English because it's a goldfish aksjhfg

I was thinking Ting-Lu would somehow be themed after people fighting over power (and specifically be a victim of that kind of conflict?) and Chi-Yu would represent wealth, with both of these in mind - curious to find out if Chi-Yu's Violet entry suggests anything like that? O:
I did not get far enough to figure out anything neat for the other two though akfjgh this was all from the middle of August so we didn't have a ton of context

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)