Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Éric

mons is mons
is a Pre-Contributor
Why tf Entei has been unbanned? Is there any reason to think it isn’t broken? Because it actually is

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why tf Entei has been unbanned? Is there any reason to think it isn’t broken? Because it actually is
It was democratically freed by a really close voting (which would have been really close for either side) so we have no other option but to accept this fate. However, if it is of any consolation, considering how close this voting was another suspect could be revisited for this mon if it becomes too problematic on the next couple of months.

So yeah, hoping it isnt that disruptive (a part of me is afraid that it is gonna be).

^

Anyways, the no ban arguments (gonna try to not be biased) are that Entei already has plenty of checks in the tier, including Milotic, Mega Blastoise, and Snorlax (Rest or Facade). Also, people can take advantage of a choice locked Entei, according to the no ban arguments. The RU tier is giving Entei a chance to be in the RU metagame for whether or not it would pose a negative impact to the tier. Again, don't want to create any bias, so I'll end the explanation here.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello may I ask what a good teamates for a Z-Celebrate Shaymin with Air Slash been itching to try it out
Pursuit trappers like Drapion and Escavalier pair well with it since they can remove stuff like Bronzong or Sigilyph that could be annoying to deal with for it. Something that can pressure the likes of Snorlax and Mandibuzz is also appreciated so stuff like CB Tyrantrum works wonders alongside this set.

Quick question: not knowing much about this tier, I wondered why Passimian, Incineroar and Slowbro (three excellent NUs) are not even present in VRs. Competition with Bewear as a bulky attacker for the first? Outclassed by Entei for the second? Useless when there is already Milotic for the third?

MrAldo

Hey
Quick question: not knowing much about this tier, I wondered why Passimian, Incineroar and Slowbro (three excellent NUs) are not even present in VRs. Competition with Bewear as a bulky attacker for the first? Outclassed by Entei for the second? Useless when there is already Milotic for the third?
Out of the 3 you mentioned Slowbro is the one that stands out due to a potential niche since it has greater physical bulk than milotic, regenerator to pivot around physical threats without having to use recovery moves and surprisingly good coverage. And is one of the best Entei switch-ins around (to the most common set that is) so it could be ranked soon. It wasnt ranked because other bulky waters like Milotic were efficient enough to handle physical threats.

Passimian is an unfortunate case. Good bulk, Knock Off and U-Turn while being really powerful should be inviting but it lacks one thing to be useful: and that is Ice Punch. Unlike many other fighting types it lacks the option of pressuring Gligar which is one of the most commonly seen fighting type switch-ins around. Medicham, Bewear, Toxicroak, Pangoro, and Virizion wallbreak much better than it so the set that Passimian would be using is Scarf which is honestly pretty functional but not good enough to be ranked in this metagame.

Incineroar is slow, typing can bring more problems than solutions and just generally outclassed by other offensive fire types like Entei, and even Emboar. A RMT posted by user Nat had an Incineroar set that ended working pretty well tho so you can use that for reference (check the team showcase bit of the Rate my Team forum) but similar to Passimian, thats not enough to rank it.

Hope this info proves helpful.

Tbh, I think Slowbro and Incineroar should both be ranked, but they haven't been yet. I understand well why Passimian isn't ranked though. Why use Passimian when you can you use something stronger and bulkier, aka Bewear, or something just straight up more powerful like machamp.

Out of the 3 you mentioned Slowbro is the one that stands out due to a potential niche since it has greater physical bulk than milotic, regenerator to pivot around physical threats without having to use recovery moves and surprisingly good coverage. And is one of the best Entei switch-ins around (to the most common set that is) so it could be ranked soon. It wasnt ranked because other bulky waters like Milotic were efficient enough to handle physical threats.

Passimian is an unfortunate case. Good bulk, Knock Off and U-Turn while being really powerful should be inviting but it lacks one thing to be useful: and that is Ice Punch. Unlike many other fighting types it lacks the option of pressuring Gligar which is one of the most commonly seen fighting type switch-ins around. Medicham, Bewear, Toxicroak, Pangoro, and Virizion wallbreak much better than it so the set that Passimian would be using is Scarf which is honestly pretty functional but not good enough to be ranked in this metagame.

Incineroar is slow, typing can bring more problems than solutions and just generally outclassed by other offensive fire types like Entei, and even Emboar. A RMT posted by user Nat had an Incineroar set that ended working pretty well tho so you can use that for reference (check the team showcase bit of the Rate my Team forum) but similar to Passimian, thats not enough to rank it.

Hope this info proves helpful.
Yeah I would agree with a Slowbro ranking. The extra physical bulk os really great, and a psychic typing lets it take care of Machamp and Toxicroak easy. Regenerator is actually one of the best abilities in the game on a wall imo, so It should be ranked, maybe at C or so for now.

roman

Banned deucer.
Talking about teambuilding, do you have any guidelines as "ever use a fire check" or something like that? What of them? :O
yes, using a fire switch in has become something people are more aware of when building. before, ppl just slapped on their scarf ttrum as the fire check, but as entei & ninetales have been making a big splash on the meta ppl have been packing their teams w more resists such as milo diancie noivern stoise etc as well as running more things that can really capitalize on them being locked into their fire stab to adapt.. see barbaracle and teachable's omastar lol

i hope this answered your question, it was kind of vague so i hope my answer was along the lines of what you wanted to hear

yes, using a fire switch in has become something people are more aware of when building. before, ppl just slapped on their scarf ttrum as the fire check, but as entei & ninetales have been making a big splash on the meta ppl have been packing their teams w more resists such as milo diancie noivern stoise etc as well as running more things that can really capitalize on them being locked into their fire stab to adapt.. see barbaracle and teachable's omastar lol

i hope this answered your question, it was kind of vague so i hope my answer was along the lines of what you wanted to hear
Yeah I see, thank you mate, also what other "type checks" (idk how to say this lol) do you think are a must have in the current metagame?

Talking about teambuilding, do you have any guidelines as "ever use a fire check" or something like that? What of them? :O
If you wanted some more 'generalish' guidelines on a few major things to keep in mind while building here's a bit more of a few tips/guidelines to keep in check while building. It isn't exhaustive but a few things and some of the major threats to look out for:

1. Fire resist. Roman pointed that out above already
2. Rock/Head Smash resist for scarf or even band tyrantrum coming in the form of many steel types or a few ground types: rhyperior, bronzong, registeel and doublade
3. A way to break down bulky waters in the tier like milotic and slowking. Grass types in RU are fairly good even with entei in the tier such as shaymin or roserade.
4. Ground Resists especially something to switch into thousand arrows band zydog such as gligar, shaymin etc.
5. Fighting resists generally are also a good idea tho not as important as opposed to a fire resist right now in RU
6. A psychic/fairy resist which usually comes in the form of a steel type. Steel mons are generally a good idea to fit onto a team as they provide a myriad of very useful resists needed to check mons like gardevoir.

Credits: Diogo

There could be more things I've missed but those are off the top of my head

If you wanted some more 'generalish' guidelines on a few major things to keep in mind while building here's a bit more of a few tips/guidelines to keep in check while building. It isn't exhaustive but a few things and some of the major threats to look out for:

1. Fire resist. Roman pointed that out above already
2. Rock/Head Smash resist for scarf or even band tyrantrum coming in the form of many steel types or a few ground types: rhyperior, bronzong, registeel and doublade
3. A way to break down bulky waters in the tier like milotic and slowking. Grass types in RU are fairly good even with entei in the tier such as shaymin or roserade.
4. Ground Resists especially something to switch into thousand arrows band zydog such as gligar, shaymin etc.
5. Fighting resists generally are also a good idea tho not as important as opposed to a fire resist right now in RU
6. A psychic/fairy resist which usually comes in the form of a steel type. Steel mons are generally a good idea to fit onto a team as they provide a myriad of very useful resists needed to check mons like gardevoir.

Credits: Diogo

There could be more things I've missed but those are off the top of my head
Thank you n_n

Rather than making a nomination, I would like to ask a question related to the rankings (if the mods feel that they want to delete my reply then it's ok for me. I don't really mind. I think I can ask this here since my question is straight related to the rankings): Why are Jolteon and Dhelmise blacklisted? (I am not nominating them or even want them to raise. I don't really play or know much of RU. However, I'm just a bit curious about it and I would love if someone clears my doubts as long as they do it respectfully)

EDIT: Lol just realised it was moved to this thread. My apologies for posting something on the wrong thread (I'm not that active on the forums)

Last edited:
Rather than making a nomination, I would like to ask a question related to the rankings (if the mods feel that they want to delete my reply then it's ok for me. I don't really mind. I think I can ask this here since my question is straight related to the rankings): Why are Jolteon and Dhelmise blacklisted? (I am not nominating them or even want them to raise. I don't really play or know much of RU. However, I'm just a bit curious about it and I would love if someone clears my doubts as long as they do it respectfully)

EDIT: Lol just realised it was moved to this thread. My apologies for posting something on the wrong thread (I'm not that active on the forums)
Jolteon and Dhelmise are considered by experienced players to be unviable, but are popular with less knowledgable people for their surface-level appeal. If they weren't blacklisted, those inexperienced players could post easily refuted arguments for them to get ranked, disrupting quality discussion. As for why they're unviable:
Jolteon has outstanding Speed, Volt Switch, and the star power of being a gen 1 Eeveelution, but its frailty, awful movepool, inability to boost, and lack of utility makes it outdone by other Electric-types and fast attackers.
Dhelmise is appealing for its Rapid Spin, interesting ability, and good Attack, but laughable Speed, a lack of recovery, and a weakness-ridden typing make it unable to do much of use before going down.

Jolteon and Dhelmise are considered by experienced players to be unviable, but are popular with less knowledgable people for their surface-level appeal. If they weren't blacklisted, those inexperienced players could post easily refuted arguments for them to get ranked, disrupting quality discussion. As for why they're unviable:
Jolteon has outstanding Speed, Volt Switch, and the star power of being a gen 1 Eeveelution, but its frailty, awful movepool, inability to boost, and lack of utility makes it outdone by other Electric-types and fast attackers.
Dhelmise is appealing for its Rapid Spin, interesting ability, and good Attack, but laughable Speed, a lack of recovery, and a weakness-ridden typing make it unable to do much of use before going down.
not to mention both are really outclassed in everything they try to do: jolteon competes with fast attackers like swellow and aerodactyl and dhelmise is directly outclassed as a spinner by tsareena (which is outclassed by blastoise) and decidueye as a wallbreaker (which is outclassed by virizion). its a terrible spinblocker too cause every relevant spinner can just click dark pulse/knock off and it dies.

Dhelmise gets Synthesis, so it has a form of recovery

Out of sheer curiosity (I know this will never happen), how would Magneton without Magnet Pull do in RU?
Prob really good. If you remember last gen, it rarely used (ha) magnet pull, it was always use analytic, and grab mad momentum while dealing with massive damage. I can see it being alright, as megalix is a great mon, but it can snipe it with specs analytic hp fire. I see it as an ru mon by what it is, but ofc scizor is holding it in uu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)