Serious Misanthropy: Is it justified?

For those of you unaware, misanthropy is defined as the distrust or hatred of one's own species. While many brush this off as leftover teenage angst, it is a viewpoint that many different philosophers have had, such as Ludwig Wittgenstein and Jean-Paul Sartre, who is well known for the quote "Hell is other people". People can have a variety of reasons for this viewpoint, from environmental views (e.g. we do nothing but destroy habitats and lives) to having a rough upbringing.

With the heaps of terror attacks that have occurred in the past couple of years alone, many people are starting to dabble into this philosophy. This brings up the question: Is misanthropy a justified viewpoint, or a disease caused by a money-grubbing media that is oversaturated with negativity? I am a misanthrope myself, because of, like I said, the media capitalizing on fearmongering and the terror attacks, as well as people's general stupidity and the fact that we're the only species that kills over different views. On the other hand, I am on the younger side of the age spectrum, and this could easily be teenage angst.

Misanthropy is justifiable but not really useful practically or ideologically. It's about the same as the view that we're exceptional in that regard.

Saying you hate humanity is like saying you give a game 7.8/10 without an explanation. As in the OP, that explanation turned into a real statement about sensationalism and detachement in media coverage, for one. In that sense it wouldn't be unfair to liken it to teenage angst, a shortcut for expressing a sentiment you either don't understand or can't explain/solve easily. I personally don't think we as a species harbor any fundamental evils we ourselves are not capable of solving.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Misanthropy has no pity. I pity this species, not hate it. Thrown into the world to suffer, shackled by a schizophrenic, irrational, and dull psyche, and you expect them to all be your idealized form?

hahaha

My opinion on this is that people are too busy hating each other in a individual and collective level to even consider hating their own species, save for some well known types of nationalism of course.

Misanthropy is understandable and sometimes it comes natural, but personally I always try my best to fight against it.
Hate won't solve anything, ever. I try not to concentrate my thoughts on people I hate but instead on nice people I like. It really makes you feel better.

I feel as though Misanthropy eventually leads to Nihilism in some ways, and I think both are relatively pointless. Sure, there are logical reasons that one would hate the human race, but most of these reasons come from an over-inflated ego and a superiority complex. There are undoubtedly reasons for humans to exist, and free will in any species will lead to some terrible actions, but we all still have the choice and the self-awareness to be good people, and that's what matters, the choice. Instead of focusing on the negative (since it solves nothing), focus on what causes the negative (since focusing on that can lead to something more positive, which benefits everyone)

I feel as though Misanthropy eventually leads to Nihilism in some ways, and I think both are relatively pointless. Sure, there are logical reasons that one would hate the human race, but most of these reasons come from an over-inflated ego and a superiority complex. There are undoubtedly reasons for humans to exist, and free will in any species will lead to some terrible actions, but we all still have the choice and the self-awareness to be good people, and that's what matters, the choice. Instead of focusing on the negative (since it solves nothing), focus on what causes the negative (since focusing on that can lead to something more positive, which benefits everyone)
Misanthropy, maybe. I don't think necessarily that it comes from a superiority complex but maybe I'm not giving people enough of a chance. What can I say? I hate lines and crowds and stupid people who are more happy than me. Misanthropy means not having to take shit from anybody to me. I also don't think you can write off anyone's philosophy about our meaning or lack thereof in the universe as pointless meanderings (even if that's what they believe anything to be). Maybe the only reason we are here are reasons we ascribe ourselves. That's what I believe.

Misanthropy, maybe. I don't think necessarily that it comes from a superiority complex but maybe I'm not giving people enough of a chance. What can I say? I hate lines and crowds and stupid people who are more happy than me. Misanthropy means not having to take shit from anybody to me. I also don't think you can write off anyone's philosophy about our meaning or lack thereof in the universe as pointless meanderings (even if that's what they believe anything to be). Maybe the only reason we are here are reasons we ascribe ourselves. That's what I believe.
Doesn't this very line prove my point about superiority complexes though? You're indirectly saying that intelligent people can't possibly be happy, while at the same time stating that you're not happy, which in term leads your statement to be giving off the aura of "these people who are more dumb than I am are even more dumb for being happy." Not only that, but I also feel that many philosophies allow for "not having to take shit from anybody", and that isn't even remotely exclusive to misanthropy. Also Nihilism in my eyes can honestly be disregarded by the very fact that regardless of what belief system you run (big bang, religious, etc), there was an action that lead to our universe's (and the other universes around us [considering that a new study very heavily implied that multiverse theory is an actual thing]), whether it was chemical, whatever doesn't matter. Actions always have a motivation, regardless of context.

Doesn't this very line prove my point about superiority complexes though? You're indirectly saying that intelligent people can't possibly be happy, while at the same time stating that you're not happy, which in term leads your statement to be giving off the aura of "these people who are more dumb than I am are even more dumb for being happy." Not only that, but I also feel that many philosophies allow for "not having to take shit from anybody", and that isn't even remotely exclusive to misanthropy. Also Nihilism in my eyes can honestly be disregarded by the very fact that regardless of what belief system you run (big bang, religious, etc), there was an action that lead to our universe's (and the other universes around us [considering that a new study very heavily implied that multiverse theory is an actual thing]), whether it was chemical, whatever doesn't matter. Actions always have a motivation, regardless of context.
Alright, you've all but given us the meaning of life here. Take this back a few steps. Smart people are happy too, right? The sky is blue? That or my God complex is why I hate to see stupid people enjoy even a moment of their lives (hyperbole be damned).
As far as other philosiphies being able to hold a single facet of another is rich too. You think people of different sets of beliefs can agree on anything? You are wrong and I hope that that is just painfully obvious to you and all of the other versions of you who think that their set of beliefs is more beneficial to a race of carbon-based death mongers. Whatever your core set of beliefs can be disregarded by myself because not every action needs a motivation. Sometimes, people can just be assholes for the sake of being assholes. In that regard, you have at least motivated me. I usually give up when someone is unwilling to listen as above, there is no point.

Alright, you've all but given us the meaning of life here. Take this back a few steps. Smart people are happy too, right? The sky is blue? That or my God complex is why I hate to see stupid people enjoy even a moment of their lives (hyperbole be damned).
As far as other philosiphies being able to hold a single facet of another is rich too. You think people of different sets of beliefs can agree on anything? You are wrong and I hope that that is just painfully obvious to you and all of the other versions of you who think that their set of beliefs is more beneficial to a race of carbon-based death mongers. Whatever your core set of beliefs can be disregarded by myself because not every action needs a motivation. Sometimes, people can just be assholes for the sake of being assholes. In that regard, you have at least motivated me. I usually give up when someone is unwilling to listen as above, there is no point.
Woah, now you're taking this personally when it was not meant to be taken personally. First of all, when you utilize hyperbole, understand that Poe's Law is in full swing and because of this most people take exaggerated statements as a person's actual belief, you can't be surprised when someone responds as such. Second, I said superiority complex, not a god complex, arguably they're not the same type of pathology (but that's a debate for another day). Third, but you again just proved my point on all actions having motivations. "People can just be assholes for the sake of being assholes", trying to be an asshole is a motivation, doing anything for the sake of anything still is a motivation because it's "for the sake of." I never said that my views were more beneficial, I'm stating that a particular worldview has such a gaping flaw in it that I'm having trouble taking it seriously.

Woah, now you're taking this personally when it was not meant to be taken personally. First of all, when you utilize hyperbole, understand that Poe's Law is in full swing and because of this most people take exaggerated statements as a person's actual belief, you can't be surprised when someone responds as such. Second, I said superiority complex, not a god complex, arguably they're not the same type of pathology (but that's a debate for another day). Third, but you again just proved my point on all actions having motivations. "People can just be assholes for the sake of being assholes", trying to be an asshole is a motivation, doing anything for the sake of anything still is a motivation because it's "for the sake of." I never said that my views were more beneficial, I'm stating that a particular worldview has such a gaping flaw in it that I'm having trouble taking it seriously.
I'm just fucking around. Zero thought was put into ant of that. Didn't even read your response. Just... You act as if the multiverse THEORY somehow disproves nihilism. I'm going to leave that where it lies as that is stupid. I was done at that point. I just don't have the patience. If someone else wants to add anything of any substance to the conversation, be my guest. I am just not about to waste my time.

I'm just fucking around. Zero thought was put into ant of that. Didn't even read your response. Just... You act as if the multiverse THEORY somehow disproves nihilism. I'm going to leave that where it lies as that is stupid. I was done at that point. I just don't have the patience. If someone else wants to add anything of any substance to the conversation, be my guest. I am just not about to waste my time.
The fact that you thought I was using multiverse theory to disprove nihilism means you didn't fully read my post, as that particular part of it had nothing to do with that and was just supplementary detail. But alright, if you feel it's a waste of time to continue this conversation, you do you man.

The fact that you thought I was using multiverse theory to disprove nihilism means you didn't fully read my post, as that particular part of it had nothing to do with that and was just supplementary detail. But alright, if you feel it's a waste of time to continue this conversation, you do you man.
Okay, one thing, first. The fuck does multiverse theory have to do with the conversation in the first place?I Ipresumed a lot, I will concede that much. Clarify for me if you would.

Okay, one thing, first. The fuck does multiverse theory have to do with the conversation in the first place?I Ipresumed a lot, I will concede that much. Clarify for me if you would.
Okay sure I'll clarify that, basically what the sentence was trying to get across was that regardless of the belief system that you have (whether of religious, or scientific belief), the creation of the universe itself was in any case an action with a reason behind it, a motivation. The only reason multiverse theory came up, was because in my original statement I said "universe" (singular), and due to recent discoveries basically heavily hinting at the existence of more than one universe, I felt that detail about multiverse theory was needed to supplement to my original statement. It was a point meant to add detail and context to make a point more flushed out, and wasn't being used as evidence to prove / disprove nihilism.

Okay sure I'll clarify that, basically what the sentence was trying to get across was that regardless of the belief system that you have (whether of religious, or scientific belief), the creation of the universe itself was in any case an action with a reason behind it, a motivation. The only reason multiverse theory came up, was because in my original statement I said "universe" (singular), and due to recent discoveries basically heavily hinting at the existence of more than one universe, I felt that detail about multiverse theory was needed to supplement to my original statement. It was a point meant to add detail and context to make a point more flushed out, and wasn't being used as evidence to prove / disprove nihilism.
Fair enough. To avoid this in the future, I'd suggest maybe not correcting someone on their subjective reality. We are not discussing Gods because without any evidence supporting the mythos, we have to at least assume that we could have been born in a universe that wasn't born from God. What is so easily dismissable about saying we might not have a designated purpose? Everything is done for a reason? ,
Well everything that we know of. We can indeed have our own purposes if we choose to create them. I'm not challenging your world view but you are saying we are here for a reason. What reason? Why does there need to be a reason? Are humans so vain that we can create our own gods and condemn everyone else's. The point being, yes, it is a pointless if not at least thought provoking discussion. We end up in the same place we started. Or perhaps you find evidence in my words that support your own worldview. I have anger issues and I'm sorry if I detracted a bit.

Fair enough. To avoid this in the future, I'd suggest maybe not correcting someone on their subjective reality. We are not discussing Gods because without any evidence supporting the mythos, we have to at least assume that we could have been born in a universe that wasn't born from God. What is so easily dismissable about saying we might not have a designated purpose? Everything is done for a reason? ,
Well everything that we know of. We can indeed have our own purposes if we choose to create them. I'm not challenging your world view but you are saying we are here for a reason. What reason? Why does there need to be a reason? Are humans so vain that we can create our own gods and condemn everyone else's. The point being, yes, it is a pointless if not at least thought provoking discussion. We end up in the same place we started. Or perhaps you find evidence in my words that support your own worldview. I have anger issues and I'm sorry if I detracted a bit.
It's no worries man, and believe me I definitely understand the anger issues as I have them myself. I didn't mean to put down your world view and I'm sorry I didn't express my debate more eloquently. The reason to me that I don't see the reason for an existence without reason is just that, without reason, life doesn't seem to have much of a point, and that just sounds like a depressing existence to me. As you said, people make their own purpose indeed, but sometimes even the littlest things in life have purpose, and I love to find purpose in those things, no matter how small they may be. The only reason I was using the god example to move the motivations part of the debate forward.

It's no worries man, and believe me I definitely understand the anger issues as I have them myself. I didn't mean to put down your world view and I'm sorry I didn't express my debate more eloquently. The reason to me that I don't see the reason for an existence without reason is just that, without reason, life doesn't seem to have much of a point, and that just sounds like a depressing existence to me. As you said, people make their own purpose indeed, but sometimes even the littlest things in life have purpose, and I love to find purpose in those things, no matter how small they may be. The only reason I was using the god example to move the motivations part of the debate forward.
I understand your example and comend your inclusion of God in your example even if I don't believe myself. We all have our reasonings. I would prefer there to be no afterlife. Is it a coincidence that I don't believe? If life has no meaning, at least it has no consequence either. I feel more free to be myself, even if it is only being depressed half the time and angry the rest.

I understand your example and comend your inclusion of God in your example even if I don't believe myself. We all have our reasonings. I would prefer there to be no afterlife. Is it a coincidence that I don't believe? If life has no meaning, at least it has no consequence either. I feel more free to be myself, even if it is only being depressed half the time and angry the rest.
What I'm curious about is what I bolded in your statement. What about this belief system makes you feel more free to be yourself? Is it your belief that the lack of an afterlife sets the basis for this reality being our only plane of existence, and that mortal time limit is comforting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)