Smogon Fantasy Football: 2013-2014 Season

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Last year's info is still intact, I just deleted all the teams to make room for newcomers. You can still rejoin!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
haha I just saw Yahoo's draft rankings, total joke. best QB class ever and they have 8 in the first 4 rounds, are you shitting me?
Doesn't matter how good players are in a vacuum, only matters how good they are relative to each other. No point drafting a QB early (or any other position) if the next one in line is barely a step down.

sry, that was my point, not the opposite. only QBs worth drafting that early are Brees/Rodgers and maybe Peyton/Cam lel.

I'll personally be waiting until the 8th to draft Stafford or Romo or even Eli/Roethlisberger :toast::toast::toast:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just dawned on me that angelbunni is invite-only, so if you were interested in joining that league (it's auction draft, btw) please PM me. This will be open to newcomers as well.

Is it too late to join another tier of the Smogon league? I am new and would like to be a part of the fantasy football environment here on the forums.

Just replaced an owner for a keeper auction league, in need of a second opinion. Rules are a little complicated.

Each team can keep 3 keepers a year, for either their draft price + $3, $10 for waiver wire pickups (if they were contested, basically), and $3 for free agents (uncontested waiver wire pickups). However, new owners (ie me + 1 other person) get to choose between either their new team's keepers, or any player not already being kept.

Since there's 2 new owners, we're basically doing a snake draft to choose our 3 keepers. I have picks 1, 4, and 5, while he has 2, 3, and 6. Here's a list of guys I'm looking at: (Scoring is 1 PPR, 6 point passing TDs, $200 budget)

Dez Bryant: $27
Chris Ivory: $3
Colin Kaepernick: $3
Rashard Mendenhall: $8
Demaryius Thomas/Percy Harvin/Andre Johnson: All $28

And these guys are likely to be available (not everyone has picked keepers yet):

Reggie Bush: $27
Vincent Jackson: $20
Reggie Wayne: $16
Matt Forte: $52
Dwayne Bowe: $14
James Jones: $3
Cecil Shorts: $10
Darren Sproles: $43
Jason Witten: $10

I am positively enamored with Dez Bryant. I absolutely will not let him go for $27 under any circumstances. Would it be crazy to pick him #1, even if it means likely losing Ivory or Kaepernick for $3, or losing Reggie Bush for $27? Bush has a solid chance at producing like a top 10 RB, and Ivory should be decent (top 20-25) which would be a steal for $3. I basically want to use the strategy I did last year, going all in on 3 elite WRs (Marshall, Megatron, and Julio are already gone, AJ Green is likely to be gone for $34) and have them carry me through games with only decent RBs. I managed to win my league despite drafting Fred Jackson in the 2nd round using this strategy last year. Would it be crazy to pass on such cheap steals for someone like Bryant?

Oh, here's an example list of PPR auction values based on $100. For example, Dez Bryant is 38/200, Bush is 32/200, Ivory is 18/100, Kaep is 20/200.

yo while i know a lot about football, i dont know a lot about fantasy. anyone want to link me to some intro strategy guides and stuff so i dont get demolished?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
@Killah - Kaepernick for $3, Mendenhall for $8, James Jones for $3. Kaepernick is an absolute steal for that price and can be your starting QB, Mendenhall and Jones both look to be solid #2 options this year given their status on their respective teams (Mendenhall is feature back in AZ, Jones is the WR2 opposite Jordy since Jennings and Driver are gone). This will free you up to go heavy on a WR1 and RB1.

yo while i know a lot about football, i dont know a lot about fantasy. anyone want to link me to some intro strategy guides and stuff so i dont get demolished?
It's long, but Matthew Berry's draft manifesto is a pretty good read for any beginner or intermediate player. He gets a lot of flak over his player rankings, but his general strategy (and especially his 15 tips to drafting) are good and that's what counts. They're something to read and consider strongly.

@Killah - Kaepernick for $3, Mendenhall for $8, James Jones for $3. Kaepernick is an absolute steal for that price and can be your starting QB, Mendenhall and Jones both look to be solid #2 options this year given their status on their respective teams (Mendenhall is feature back in AZ, Jones is the WR2 opposite Jordy since Jennings and Driver are gone). This will free you up to go heavy on a WR1 and RB1.
I'm nervous about not keeping any elite talent. When 20-30 guys are being kept, including 10-15 elite players, the elite guys left are going to fly off the board at prices way above market value. While those three guys you listed (+Ivory) are definitely the best values, picking them might lead to me spending $100 on someone like Dez and Forte, when I could keep Dez and another great receiver for $55 and spend $50 on Forte or something.

Top RBs available will probably be Foster, McCoy, Rice, then Forte. Everyone else in the top 10 will already be kept, and I expect all four to go for $55-65 (last year, McCoy/Rice/Foster went for 60+). Top WRs available are Dez, DT, and Harvin, and they'll probably all go for $35-40 or so (Fitz went for $36 last year, Calvin for $48 and being kept for $51).

This is my first time playing keepers anything, and I know young guys that you can get for cheap for years have extra value over older players. Still, if I keep Dez I can still keep one or two of Kaepernick/Jones/Ivory/Mendenhall, I think I'd be set up alright for this year and next.

I honestly think Dez Bryant has the best chance at rivaling Megatron for the #1 spot this year (his 2nd half last year was incredible) and I would absolutely hate leaving that on the table by going with cheap tier 2 players. If I don't keep him, it's likely (though not certain) the other new owner will keep him anyway.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Even after some further thought, I still wouldn't run with Dez. I feel like the Cowboys' passing attack is too varied to allow Dez to reach his potential as a true #1 stud. When you have guys like Witten and Austin on the roster, it's hard for him to really shine from a fantasy perspective. Instead, I'd suggest taking another look at Vincent Jackson. $20 is really good when he could potentially be your WR1, since he's got a year in Schiano's system under his belt and built some rapport with Freeman (who will likely improve). Darren Sproles could also be a decent pickup for under 50, as he has RB1 potential.

Kaepernick at $3 is laughable at best. The guy is going to be fantasy gold this season, I predict a top 5 performer among QBs. You'd be foolish not to pick him up at that price. Hell, he'd be worth $50 let alone 3.

EDIT: Let it be known, here and now, that user Mithril's nickname shall be "Duckfan" until death.

I'm not gonna list the reasons I lurv Dez because I plan on going heavily after him in League C (hint hint), so we'll just agree to disagree, hehe.

Love VJ too, especially for his current market value. He'll definitely see some stability from last year, and even though he was somewhat dependent on big plays I think he'll definitely be a top 10 receiver. I have more trust in him than I have in any of DT/Harvin/Andre, that's for sure. I'd love to have him this year as well, and for $20 he's on my short list if he doesn't get kept (the guy who has him is absolutely stacked, likely keeping Lynch for $33 and Ridley for $10, plus either Bush/VJ/Wayne).

Sproles is a borderline RB1 in standard, so I am considering him too. He'll be the 5th best RB available after keepers, and for his price that's not too bad.

Not quite sold on Kaepernick, though. He averaged around 17 points/game last year in standard (this league is 6 point passing TDs, which devalues runners slightly). He did a lot more in the playoffs with his feet, but you know his coach (and the opposing defenses) will want to limit his rushes next year if they can. QB is just so, so deep this year; 17 points/game would have put Kaepernick at #12, behind Wilson/Stafford/Luck/Romo. Keeping him would save me a few dollars, as drafting one of those guys would probably cost ~$10-15, plus it'd be a smart move for the future (if you can keep multiple years, not sure about that). He's definitely on my short list too, as I'd love to not have to worry about drafting a QB while going heavy on receivers and my RB1.

Los Angeles HEROs reporting for duty! Which mostly includes dominating you pansies.

Also T_T didn't know it was an auction league. Whatever, we thrive as underdogs!

Having used several different websites, I have to say I like Yahoo the best.

Better interface, looks neater, more options than ESPN, doesn't require an account to be made to sign up, better default options (though admittedly those should be changed anyway for private leagues), etc.

ESPN's great for playing standard leagues with randoms, but aside from that I vastly prefer Yahoo.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I prefer ESPN to Yahoo. Yahoo even got rid of the little yellow notepad thing which was one of the few other features I still liked, all I have left is the prominent smacktalk messages :(. I feel like ESPN gives better at-a-glance player information when you're just like browsing for bye week plugins or marginal value pickups (and sorting isn't defaulted to standard scoring projected rankings -- srsly why Yahoo). Still, they're both plenty functional.

Any ideas when we'll know if there might be a newcomer league? I'm starting to figure out how many leagues I'm doing now and I never like being in more than 3 :(

There was discussion of a possible keeper league, and I would like to restate my interest in that league (as well as continuing to play in league A of course).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
@Laurel - the newcomer league is League D. If you'd like to join it, message me your email.

@tad38 - Many people are interested in a Keeper league, including myself. However I am already commissioner in about a zillion leagues and I don't want to run any more. If someone else would care to commish a Keeper league, they would be welcome to do so and I will list it here. Someone needs to volunteer though.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Similar to this, I know nothing about auction leagues and my plan was to just let my team get autodrafted like I did in angelbunni last year. Kind of why I was hoping for another snake draft in League C but I'll find a good resource somewhere before draft day I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)