International Wi-Fi Tournament - 2012 Spring Friendly - WON BY JIVETIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just battled 'Cherry' (1780 from Hawaii) and it was such a frustrating game. Terrakion basically bossed me because it managed to do a lot of damage, but the main problem was it survived an attack with Focus Sash and had flinched my Beheeyem that turn with Rock Slide, which meant my Psychic didn't get the chance to KO it. Then later in the game, a Scald burn and some (what I felt were) stupid moves on my opponents part caused me to lose.

Now I just faced a guy with never-miss always-crit Stone Edge and Focus Blast haha. Managed to win! Came down to his Conkeldurr vs my Tyranitar. I Protect to give him some Sandstorm damage, then next turn he uses Mach Punch to take me down to 50~ HP (I had Sash anyway). Then I Low Kick which takes him to about 7-8%. Sandstorm hits, so I Protect again and win :D

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I do agree on the posts here about anti-disconnecting. But in my case earlier that someone is blatantly cheating in my face to gain an advantage, I really did not care. If someone is using illegal move-sets against me I will not take that loss. It is just as unfair as disconnecting on someone in my opinion.

25-5-4

This is the first time my disconnections has been the lowest thing in my overall score!

Just Played against STORM with an 1880 rating. Thanks for not D/Cing when I got it. Incredible match btw.

33-29998-14856. He almost ran me out of PP with 2 Pressure mon out. lol

Think I'm gonna fool around a little more before it closes, but have to say I enjoyed this Wifi tournament a lot more than the last two.

Admittedly getting DCed on less helped -- I had a gigantic DC rate the first two times and have barely gotten any on this one, after not DCing myself on purpose in any of them(though I had a few DCs in the first one that were to my detriment because my connection was horrible and kept dropping me in easy games) -- but I don't really care about placing in any of these since they don't count for anything, so that's not the biggest thing to me. I think in the last one I was hoping more to playtest a team and the one before that mostly I just wanted to smack kids around a little since I was still bitter over the Worlds LCQ/Nats cut thing whereas this time I just kinda made myself play with some random shit available to try to get some practice and get some ideas from watching what other people -- even some of the bad players -- were doing, and it worked out pretty well I think. Doubt I improved as a player any, but there's an almost infinite amount of options in this game and some of the stuff I played against gave me some ideas for stuff I wanna try out the next couple of weeks. This event really helped me get out of that lull between events a lot of us get in. I think it's really easy to get bored of the game if you play on Skarmbliss too much since everyone is using the same shit in this little easily counterable sub-metagame so it's hard to learn much or have too much fun, whereas even though that stuff is all still there in the WiFi events you get enough looks to think a little more.

The team I used for this is super lame, mostly -- I liked the 2-3 Pokemon weather option teams a lot of Japanese players were using in the last event, so they could play weather when it made sense but didn't have to commit fully to the gimmick, and wanted to see if it worked as well in practice as I expected it would, so I played with that while using some other Pokemon that should have been there to cover weaknesses but were instead used so I could see how they matched up against other trainers while putting them in an environment they could win without building teams around them since it was stuff I might want to use on other teams in the future (Regice, Conkeldurr, Crobat). Kind of annoyed me how effective it was... I made a lot of silly errors against decent players in games I wound up winning anyway because of how strong the team was in spite of the extras not having much synergy(I really think if I'd made the team around being half-rain it'd have been disturbingly effective for how little thought it took to play) but had fun and got some ideas for how I would use the last three Pokemon in teams where they were the stars instead of side dishes, so it was a good experience for me. And I think any chance those of us who are mostly sim players have to practice in-game in an environment that sort-of-matters is worth taking, always a few people who misclick or wish they could cancel after enters moves IRL out of playing too many sims.

EDIT: lol just realized i should have done something different two turns in a row to start a game proving that point

YES YES YES! Finally under 30% DC rate! The thing now is I am not sure wether I should continue or not....screw it I'll keep going, never know who I'll get to face :)

After using my Nationals team and maintaining a low profile throughout this "friendly", I can proudly say that breaking 2300 feels good and makes me feel confident to win Nationals.

Havak

Alright dude :D yeah sucks to not play enough games, would have been interesting to see how far up the ranking's we could have reached dispite the d/c's. Well hopefully we still have Manchester to look forward to ;) maybe even play you soon....
Oh, I know I wouldn't have gotten that high this time. My team isn't very good, I just wish more of my wins last time didn't result in DC's. In the last tournament, I would have easily had over 2000. In this tournament, I've played less than a third of the games I played last time, and only have one less loss at the moment. So I know I won't be getting much higher. Already thinking of calling it quits at 1720 (26-5-4), because an 11% disconnection rate seems okay.

Just Played against STORM with an 1880 rating. Thanks for not D/Cing when I got it. Incredible match btw.

33-29998-14856. He almost ran me out of PP with 2 Pressure mon out. lol
np man. and btw it was an 1808 rating.

and I was out of Scald, lol. (Haven't PP maxed yet)

I honestly should've Draco'd the Ghost and then stalled out the Giant Fish.

Hmm, might be able to squeeze in enough more to hit 1800. Doesn't matter terrfically, but breaking 1750 would be good. Really satisfied with the team, there are probably some improvements but shouldn't have to be changed TOO much for Nats. It's kinda stupid we have to thank people for not DCing at this point, nothing wrong with it but it says something that we have to be grateful for someone making the normally standard, honest choice.

Finally made it into the 1800, my first!:)

Finishing at 54W-17L-36DC, ~4 of them were my connection problems and the rest wins obviously. Will probably get disqualified but atleast I reached my goal fair and square.

Tonights DCs!
Gaeten, Belgium(1819)
TyRaNtM, Chile (1758)
And quite a few more between 1500-1600.

Here's a real nice battle between me and VIKTOR, Mexico (1780):
38-43201-12795

np man. and btw it was an 1808 rating.

and I was out of Scald, lol. (Haven't PP maxed yet)

I honestly should've Draco'd the Ghost and then stalled out the Giant Fish.
I had 1 trick room left. lol. I thought I lost when when the Ice beam didn't kill the Latios. I'm not sure if Dusclops would've survived a life orbed Dmetor even through the evolite lol.

Right, taking a break for like an hour before I finish. Mainly because at around 10 for the past few days my Internet has gone out for around 20mins so I am having the break during that time.

Hopefully I'll maintain the +1800 rating I have :)

I had 1 trick room left. lol. I thought I lost when when the Ice beam didn't kill the Latios. I'm not sure if Dusclops would've survived a life orbed Dmetor even through the evolite lol.
I would've also targeted it with Scald so it wouldn't have.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, Ive uploaded some videos, not too much because of time constraints.

anyways I'd like to thank every contributor, because I wouldnt have made it possible.
The current playlist stands at 55 video's with like 3 and a half hours worth of footage. I might add some later as well if I get some spare time (but diablo 3, eh :P)

anyways Ill link the complete playlist once again, and it is also viewable from the OP as well still:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE9DD94831D98014&feature=plcp

there you go and I look forward to doing this more often with other tournaments :D

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hey, everyone! I was wondering if you guys can send me some battle videos for the Spring Friendly to my channel. That way, it'll be easier to find some Spring Friendly battles, rather than having to constantly search on YouTube.

My YouTube channel is,

http://www.youtube.com/MavsObsession

You don't have to, but I'm just asking permission. I don't want to anger anyone.
EDIT: Oops, is there already someone doing this? Although I'd like to upload some vids, also! :)

I beat CakesofSpan 2 days ago or 3. GG. I love how I beat someone 200 points ahead of me then they DC. Then I lose to someone like 50 points under me. I'm at 1686 and have a 45% DC rate if I'm calculating this right.

edit: I lost because my T-Tar used Low Kick to attempt to KO Abomasnow but Aboma lived with 1 HP WITHOUT SASH and he uses energy ball to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)